Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Crack - FPS / Tower Defense hybrid strategy game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by gridside, Nov 17, 2013.

1. gridside

gridside

We decided our game's (formerly known as Breed) final name as "The Crack". If there's no absolute reason (like copyright) to change it again, it's our final name!

I'm proud to present this new game which WetBass studios developing called "The Crack" .

Basically, "The Crack" has a fusion mechanism of Tower defense and FPS . Besides that you can pour bullets on your enemies by using stealth fighters, reveal your enemies on map by military satellites with infra-red night vision and also you can show them who is the boss by a mech which you are seated.

In this game, points you earned in every succeeded level writes down into the global leaderboard with your username. With that now you can compete with you general game scores and with other players in the world. Also your achievements will turn into XP's and with that XP's you can unlock new units.

The scenario mode of the "The Crack" will enables more than 10 levels with completely different climates and geographical specifications under a flowing narration and scenario. In one level you can find yourselves in a forest at day time, while the other level will be in a central of a metropol at night. The full scenario of the game is ready except little details but for not giving any spoiler I should stop here to give more details about the game.

At this point "The Crack" includes single-player, campaign and challenge game modes but maybe in the future instruments like co-op and multiplayer can be added to the project.

Respectful opinions of you, members of this community are too important for us. Please share your reviews with us. In this duration we will be sharing every major updates with you in this platform.

"The Crack" is currently in pre-alpha stage.

$Breed_Pre-Alpha 2013-11-19 22-13-00-72.jpg

$Breed_Pre-Alpha 2013-11-19 22-15-43-70.jpg

$Breed_Pre-Alpha 2013-11-19 22-15-58-84.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. gridside

gridside

Little gameplay video

3. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

This looks awesome!
    Can't wait to see more :D

4. gridside

gridside

I'm glad you like Sir.Tiddlesworth. More coming soon, keep watching.

5. galent

galent

Game looks awesome! I really like the night vision effects!

Quick question, if you don't mind, that background radio chatter, did you simulate that? (if so, how did you get the distortion right?)

Cheers,

Galen

6. gridside

gridside

Thanks for kind words.
    Currently it's just a dummy sound i found on the internet but it's quite easy generate same quality effect with some DAP software like Propellerheads Reason or Fruity Loops. Just need to experiment on pure wav file with some compressor and distortion generator.

7. gridside

gridside

Here some in-game screens

$Breed_Pre-Alpha 2013-11-19 22-13-00-72.jpg
    $Breed_Pre-Alpha 2013-11-19 22-15-43-70.jpg
    $Breed_Pre-Alpha 2013-11-19 22-15-58-84.jpg

8. dreamhole

dreamhole

I like the game and interfaces.

Good works :)

9. gridside

gridside

10. newb_quest

newb_quest

hey Gridside,

This looks cool! Great atmosphere and I like the night vision as well a lot. Looking forward to seeing more!

Galent:

Radio sounding signals usually include some type of distortion effect followed in the chain by an EQ with high and lowpass filters engaged to cut off both the top and bottom of the frequency range (treble and bass). Start there and season to taste, and recording on a crappy microphone will help it sound more authentic. Add some bursts of static samples for choppy reception.

You can really do this in any DAW software that includes the ability to add effects to audio.

11. gridside

gridside

Hi newb_quest,

Thanks for kind words. We are dealing with the final preparations before releasing the detailed gameplay video for a while. It looks like 3D modeling of mech’s cockpit that takes place in Breed’s FPS mode and retopology process will take a little more time. But mech is worth everything, isn’t it? : )

In the forthcoming days, we are going to share some works from the process we manage with ZBrush which is a great digital sculpting and painting program.

12. gridside

gridside

Hi all,

As you probably guess, we have used Coherent UI on devoloping Breed’s interface. It is definitely a great plugin that i can advice each game developer. For those who do not know much about it; Coherent UI allows you to provide your need by only using HTML5 and CSS3, but ofcourse with such a ‘must have’ HTML plugins like jQuery. This way also provides an important saving of time and you expend the minimum energy on UI for the next updates.

Today, Coherent UI team has indicated us that they used Breed’s screens on their own website.

This is a very important news that make us happy and quite excited. So we would like to thank them once again from here as well.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  13. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

being a tower defense lover as well I am doing my own sci-fi based Tower defense RTS hybrid. But I must say I am impressed with this game. I suspect you will eventually replace those bought tower turrets correct? would be nice at least. but either way, well done. I will be watching progress on this. Keep up the good work.

14. gridside

gridside

I'm glad you like it (as being a tower defense lover) ! : )

We can re-model almost everything after our kickstarter campaign. If we can get funded successfully then we can look for supporting 3d artist. But for now; we'll use these models.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  15. gridside

gridside

Hey Guys/Girls,

Here's a sneak peek of early design for Mech HUD.

$mechuiv1_lo.jpg

16. gridside

gridside

Our new web site is online at http://wetbass.com . You can also follow us and Breed's progress by our website.

17. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Looks awesome man. Just be careful of the 2004 PC game Breed ;)

18. gridside

gridside

Thanks for the info Ethaninja! I didn't know that. However "Breed" is not a final name. Just a working title.

19. gridside

gridside

Hi Everybody,

Here's the first milestone of the mech. Currently no textures, only mesh but fully functional.

$m2l.jpg

20. gridside

gridside

Scene / Game View Comparison

$ComparisonSceneGame1.jpg

21. ScottSewards

ScottSewards

This game looks incredible. Loving the GUI, all of it but the GUI especially.

Scott.

22. gridside

gridside

Scott, i'm glad you like it! :)

23. gridside

gridside

Hi everyone, Here is the video features the Breed's main menu

[video=youtube_share;JlIP5t3MlKw]http://youtu.be/JlIP5t3MlKw

24. gridside

gridside

Hello again! I'm here with the new video featuring pre-alpha environmental destruction on Breed!

25. gridside

gridside

Meet the BIG-BOY!

$m3.jpg

26. gridside

gridside

Hi guys/girls,

Just a quick update about our game's name. We decided our game's (formerly known as Breed) final name as "The Crack". If there's no absolute reason (like copyright) to change it again, it's our final name!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

27. gridside

gridside

28. gridside

gridside

Hi everyone!

I'm here with the new gameplay video. Check it out and let us know your thoughts!

Thanks!

29. gridside

gridside

"The Crack" was featured on Peter Christiansen's blog post! Check it out!

30. gridside

gridside

Happy new years from WetBass Studios!

31. will_jones

will_jones

Looks awesome good luck, only thing is how insanely dark some areas look, maybe more ambient light..unless its just me. Those streets seem pitch black compared to the sidewalks

32. gridside

gridside

Thank you! We don't want to light so much in this map. So it's a characteristic of this map. The enemies must be visible only below the street lights. Think like a challenge of map. Besides of that, players can increase the brightness from the options menu as well. Thanks again for your comment, we'll still been thinking about this "dark area" title.

33. NuclearSyncGames

NuclearSyncGames

I Really Like it! I'm Keeping an Eye On This One To See Where It Goes. If You Need Some Music I can Do Some. First Song Is Free, The Rest Range From $0.99 to $5.00. Hope To Hear Back From You

34. gridside

gridside

We are excited to announce that we have started to work with Ryan Cooper as a Voice Actor in "The Crack". He is a very talented person. Keep following us for updates!

35. gridside

gridside

Story teaser is here!

36. gridside

gridside

The Crack is on the top 56 of Steam Greenlight! Thanks for your support and please VOTE if you don't yet! http://goo.gl/wnDm8P

37. gridside

gridside

Mech's interior widget detail view.

$mip1.jpg

Please support us on Greenlight with your vote.. http://goo.gl/wnDm8P

38. DjangoJustin

DjangoJustin

Game looks great! Do you currently have a composer lined up?

39. gridside

gridside

Thanks DjangoJustin! Yes we have a composer.

40. gridside

gridside

$1743548_258842877608980_1673797258_n.png

BIG news here! The Crack has been greenlit! Thank you to all who supported us in this great journey. Now? Full throttle!

41. gridside

gridside

Hey everybody! We are here with the new game-play video. This version contains large number of bug fixes and features. However we still have a lot of bugs to fix so please note that this is still pre-alpha.

Major changes in this version:

* Added protocol activation bar
    * Added bug report button for pre-alpha users to report bugs and make feature requests without leaving the game
    * Modified color palette and added color grading
    * Sound engine was completely re-coded from the scratch
    * Added player level mechanism based on XP's gained by various events in game
    * Main menu features limited for use in closed pre-alpha
    * Added lightning effect to Old Town map
    * Added damage and destroy effects to the Big-Boy
    * Added explosion camera effect
    * Added white-hot / black-hot switching option to Ghost
    * Updated watermark with flashing graphical version
    * Added three upgrade level to all ground units
    * Added protocol activating screen effects
    * Protocols are now can be used only once for each

42. ChrisMaster

ChrisMaster

Hi, it looks great. I am wondering how did you do the GUI?(Did you used any bought assets).

edit: I found it: Coherent UI :)

KZ

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  43. gridside

gridside

Glad you like it! Yes, the our "must" UI solution. Recommended! : ) For assets; Yes. We have used lot of assets from asset store and from other sources. However those are mostly modified to fit our concept. By the way, will you be able to attend GDC 2014? If so, don't forget to visit Coherent Labs booth #931 at 19-21 March, San Francisco. You can also see The Crack on big screen in Coherent Labs booth! : )

Thanks!

44. gridside

gridside

Still from the unlockable gallery item screen

$tcrpa7.png

45. gridside

gridside

We are here with the new game-play highlights video from Pre-Alpha v0.46R1

This version contains several bug fixes and improvements. Also dynamic sound tracks system tested in this build.

46. gridside

gridside

Just commited pre-alpha version 0.47 of The Crack to our server! Lot of bug fixes done and new features has been added. Also got %30 performance upgrade in this build. Here's some screens from this build.

$TheCrack_Pre-Alpha 2014-04-06 03-24-26-57.jpg $TheCrack_Pre-Alpha 2014-04-06 16-16-55-97.jpg $TheCrack_Pre-Alpha 2014-04-06 16-17-01-27.jpg

47. drmusic45

drmusic45

Wow, this game looks really amazing! I really like hybrid style games like this one that give you more than one playstyle to engage in. Keep up the great work! :)

48. gridside

gridside

Hello everyone!

The Crack Pre-Alpha registration is publicly OPEN NOW!

You can register for pre-alpha testing for The Crack. Our upcoming Tower Defense / FPS hybrid strategy game. Knock the door and be ready to be part of this!

Click here to register for free

49. gridside

gridside

Here is the new pre-Alpha footage shows the "VSAT Protocol" in action.

And a little reminder; next week is the last week for free Pre-Alpha registration.

50. gridside

gridside

$1.jpg $2.jpg $3.jpg

Screen from the latest build of The Crack. Almost ready for the closed pre-alpha testing!