Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The confusing naming please

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by madks13, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madks13

madks13

Hello,

so i came here and saw "2018.3.0f1 released". My first reaction was : huh? why isn't this shown on the hub?
    Then i saw it's a release candidate...

As far as i know, the "f" means free version, which usually is used for the released versions. So why are you making this so confusing?

Why not use something like :
    - "f" for free
    - "p" for pro/paid
    - "a" for alpha
    - "b" for beta
    - "rc" for release candidate

Another thing bothering me is that i saw "2018.3.0bx" being used, but in the hub i only see "2018.3.0fx", is this intentional? Even though it's the betas list? Why so confusing?

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

f does not, and has never meant free version. The source of your confusion is that you have misunderstood entirely what any of the release suffixes mean.

f is RC/release
    b is beta
    a is alpha

Not really that hard to understand, also if you have the hub, then its simple:

Is it in the beta releases section? Then its beta/ alpha

Is it in the official releases section? Then it is a full release.

The only difference really this time is that we have a clear alpha phase that is accessible to all, beta is as stable as full release used to be, and what would have been fully released is now being tested as RC a bit longer. all in all pretty clear but also sensible imo :)

LeonhardP likes this.
  3. madks13

madks13

Ok, right after i posted, the 2018.3 was released locking the thread. I want to continue discussing this a bit hence the name.

Here is the original post : https://forum.unity.com/threads/the-confusing-naming-please.597289/#post-3992785

@GameDevCouple_I
    I understand the explanation of the naming, but it still doesn't make sense : "f" = release candidate (rc)? what kind of logic leap is that? It's not obvious at all, and you shouldn't have to say something like "The source of your confusion is that you have misunderstood entirely what any of the release suffixes mean." to explain it.

Also, as i mentionned, there was a 2018.3.0fx inside the beta list. WHY? You said yourself that it's for beta versions, so why put a RC in there?

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

'f' stands for final. An 'x' in the version signifies that it is a custom build (experimental) and, although based on a regular version, not part of its lifecycle.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Thank you for clarifying this!

Because, as was mentioned in a public poll post here on the forum, they were testing to see how ready for release the candidate was. RC does not mean released, it is still being tested, so it makes perfect sense to reside in beta. It would not make sense to put RC into official release section.

Honestly, I think your getting a little bit too worked up about something so trivial, the hub really does make it clear on what is what. If you dont want beta versions, dont go in the beta section. I am not sure what else they could do to make it clearer :D

Either way you have some clarification now from unity staff, so hopefully it will not be an issue for you in the future! Best of luck in your gamedev! :)

LeonhardP likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes of course..! :)

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

When something reaches 0f5 it unofficially becomes 0ffs which is Unity terminology for "oh for f- sake"

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

:D

10. madks13

madks13

Umm, if "f" stands for final...that is different from release candidate, which is also different from testing, no matter the state. So i stand by saying an "f" shouldn't be in the beta list, and that there should be a RC letter.

11. LaneFox

LaneFox

So every release would get an f and p?

Okay.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Since you like complications, it appears that 2019.1 alpha is listed under "beta" versions...

13. madks13

madks13

@LaneFox not what i said. I said that there should be a difference between "f" and "rc". The "p" was because i though there was disctionction between free and paid versions. But since there isn't, i don't think it's necessary.

14. madks13

madks13

@AnneSchmidt also not what i said. I can understand that the alpha and beta are under the same "beta" category to avoid clutter, but the thing that made me confused and i don't think is right is putting an "f", which should stand for "full", in the beta category.

Also, i usually use "x" to replace the whole part, as in "v1.5.x" instead of "versions 1.5.0 to 1.5.18". So what i said was that i saw a 2018.3.0f1 and 2018.3.0f2 inside the beta category.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

2018.3.0f2 was never in the beta category, only 2018.3.0f1 was. :)

16. LaneFox

LaneFox

Pedantic IMO. Familiarize yourself with how things are and get along with your work. Not everyone does things the way we would like and no one method will satisfy everyone so we all have to make compromises.

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Release candidate means that it's still being tested, but if we find no major issues we release it as is without rebuilding. So it could become actual final.

18. madks13

madks13

@Tautvydas-Zilys i understand, but the previous versions of the RC are still not full versions...since only the latest was moved to full. So still not logical.

19. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You can't change the past (that is rename old builds). And we don't want to name them RC because then we would have to rebuild them in order to release them.

20. madks13

madks13

@Tautvydas-Zilys Well, that i understand. However, i haven't seen any easily accessible explanation of those build terms. Can you maybe add that to the hub?

21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That makes sense, I didn't think it through in respect to the hub - I was more thinking about the names when you browse our website. I'll forward a link to your post to our hub team.

22. pointcache

pointcache

4a1 ... 4a12
    4b1 ... 4b7
    4rc1 ... 4rc2
    4s1 (s for stable)
    i think stable is much better naming than final, taking into account you have like 5 final builds for each version, doesnt really make sense.
    Stable on the other hand shows its a release and logically leaves room for improvements, without claiming its something finished (which it never is).

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm gonna lock this as it's not really important and Unity's taken note. You can vote for this on the feedback page here: https://feedback.unity3d.com/

Jaimi, MadeFromPolygons and LeonhardP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.