Search Unity

The Collaboration section Moderation is failing!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sean Hall, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Alright, I agree with the moderation that has been placed on the Collaboration section, although the main reason that this type of moderation was called to order, was because people where posting threads and were not doing it right. As in not giving enough information or people where posting joke threads, Etc and already it would seem that a thread has gotten though the review stage, even though it is obviously a joke thread. Thread

You can tell that this thread is a joke, because on it is in the username of the poster: jokerjosh15 and also it does not have nearly as much information on the thread than should be allowed.

Now if this thread is real, then this still shows that the collaboration moderation is not working, because there is no proper information about the development, which means that the moderator should of rejected it and sent them a PM saying that they need to add more information and get the idea worked on before posting a thread.

Edit:
    On another note, I think the collaboration section should be split into two parts, "Requests" and "looking for work". That way online the threads which need moderation, well get it, whereas the "looking for work" does not.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. DavidB

DavidB

Ya, agreed on the spam post.... but perhaps this was an issue of a misclick on the part of a mod?

3. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

4. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I think that there needs to be a new 'hiring' of some community moderators. Volunteer positions where the chosen users will be forum moderators and just have to process the collab threads. Of course this choice will be on hold until a Community Manager is selected by Unity. But I think its needed. I have seen kickstarters get accepted faster than posts in the collab :L

Also the quality of threads getting allowed in is far to low, I think Unity staff need to raise a bar on quality.

5. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

+1.

Another solution to stop fake/joke threads from even being submitted for review, is to follow the example of other community's and not allow new members to make a new thread until they have gotten past a certain number of posts.

6. khanstruct

khanstruct

I believe the overhaul of the collab section was primarily to shut up the people who did nothing but complain about the quality of posts. As the mods have always said; if you don't like it, or you're not interested, don't post. If its a bad post, it will fall off the forum.

Now, you have no choice.

Let's not turn the Gossip section into the old Collab section please.

7. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

No, not really. It was done because the collab section was more like the work in progress section, than it was in Pitching their development.

Again no, this is just raising the issue that the collab section is not being moderated properly.

8. Aguy

Aguy

Then people will post a bunch of crap posts just so they can make their collab post.

I have ran and owned a few forums in the past and areas like that just need a good gatekeeper.

Those posts that were pointed out don't look as bad as some in the past. They are missing info though but at least they tried. One even posted a phone number which I think is stupid on a forum but to each their own.

There's no community manager? Didn't even notice.

9. khanstruct

khanstruct

Once again, why do you care?

If you don't like a post, don't respond to it. I can't understand why people are somehow offended by something that has nothing to do with them.

10. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

I care because it's stupid the way they go though all that effort to make the collab section better so online people with actual possible developments are given the chance to recruit people.

And why don't you care? Do you not want to help maintain this community or are you one of those people who don't care about anything other than themselfs and are happy so long as the thing is there?

11. khanstruct

khanstruct

Those posts don't affect the community. People can, and still are, making posts to recruit teams for their projects.

The posts you're complaining about are no more disruptive than this one. Less, in fact, because people aren't allowed to reply to those.

12. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I agree with this. I am on the side of the OP of the collab threads in my last post. I just want threads to be processed quicker. If they raised the bar for quality that would be nice too.

13. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

No. It's been explicitly said (either by Ackbar, or by LittleAngel, I can't remember which) that the primary problem they were trying to solve was the flamewars breaking out in the replies. Forcing the initial posts to meet a certain quality bar was part of the solution to this - avoiding having people post threads that were guaranteed to get people's backs up - but it wasn't, IIRC, explicitly done with the aim of making the posts more pitch-like.

I don't think the thread you've linked is a joke thread, I think it's just a young, naive kid with little to no grasp of development. We got them all the time on GDNet. Should the moderators have allowed it through, given the kind of response it's likely to get? Perhaps not. But the mods are human, too. They may have misjudged, or misread, or misclicked. (Or it may even just be a UDN glitch or something).

In the bottom left corner of the post there's a "Report Thread" button. Use that if you think the thread shouldn't be there.

14. echtolion

echtolion

The entire collaboration front page has 0 replies, unless the forum is bugged for me.

I wonder how long until it's removed.

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

16. khanstruct

khanstruct

Replies are no longer allowed in the Collab section.

*which is our own fault*

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  17. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Which is better now. Since this way people can ask for help without getting trolled.

18. adamh1

adamh1

im really unimpressed with the changes. Ive been trying to bump our thread for about 4 weeks now but still waiting for a bump to be approved so we can get a few more team members which we really need! our post is perfectly descriptive and informative, so getting pretty tired of waiting!

19. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Unfortunately there is no one left to moderate the collaboration section as Admiral Ackbar no longer works at Unity. Therefore a few of us have tried to do it in our spare time, but the volume of Collaboration posts is enormous... and 50% of them are pure rubbish (putting it nicely). So the approval process is slow and a few subpar threads get approved (after sifting through 50 posts the bars slowly lowers).

We are still looking for a full time community manager. Hopefully that will make things better. Until then, please be patient with us.

20. taumel

taumel

Sounds like a awesome job.

21. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

:p - that's probably why it hasn't been filled for over 6 months.

22. taumel

taumel

I'll do it, this should be tons of fun. :O)

23. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

24. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

lol. It sounds like a painstaking job, you should look into recruiting more volunteer moderators to take the work load off.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  25. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

+1 ive been eager to get a position like that for a while:L hoping something crops up

26. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Oh man, Ackbar left? But he didn't say goodbye! We didn't throw a forum party for him!

27. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Yeah he didn't leave :( He just got 'parted' with the team. He will always have a place in our hearts xoxo

28. ImogenPoot

ImogenPoot

That's what I am always telling, but you know, this would kinda lock out 90 % of the community... at least.

29. ImogenPoot

ImogenPoot

Well I can feed that one. After all, I have sort of a teaching position, where I have to correct students homework (computer science, you know). The bar does not slowly lower, it skyrockets, just with a wrong slope. Maybe you should set up a policy, and just delete 49/50 threads with the comment "INAPPROPRIATE". I mean there can't be so much users that after a while, the posts will come back to the normal level... And successive inappropriate attempts could lead to a one month ban from the collaboration section..

30. khanstruct

khanstruct

Umm... that's a little extreme, I think. I doubt Unity wants to start banning members from the forums just because they can't put together a solid presentation.

31. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

+1. It is a valid opinion, but I can't see unity doing that.

32. drewradley

drewradley

As I understand it, he left Unity so there is no one left to identify traps. :)

33. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Whaaaat??!! No Ackbar?! :( No wonder I haven't seen him around lately...

34. Khyrid

Khyrid

I think the biggest issue with the collab forum is visibility. No bumping threads ensures that threads sink away, albeit slowly, sink nonetheless. How Unity should rectify this is a tricky problem, it would put them in the position of choosing what projects deserve to be seen more than others.

Maybe there should be a voting system. Each collab thread would require a two option poll, interested and not interested. Then Unity is just going by what the community voted on. Perhaps this would sort things out in the most fair democratic way.

35. DavidB

DavidB

Can users who already have threads in collab, not post a reply that must be approved? Essentially allowing updates (and a bump) when something legitimate happens with the project? Sounds like the moderation is already strapped though....

36. Khyrid

Khyrid

37. Dreamora

Dreamora

Instead of that the board tech should simply get a functionality to 'reject with a common reason from a list of 3' optimally keyboard based, cause you won't need more than that to reject 99.95% of all collab threads. Then one can sift through 200 with ease without the bar lowering.

The main problem then though still remains: nothing prevents the users from just returning with a new one and the idea should be that they do it right from the start or are forced to wait for a given period to retry it (incentive to R.T.F.M or suffer)

No they can't
    Bumping is no option there it will just bring back one of the problems that was banned with the moderation and thats mindless bumping just to be on page 1.
    Thats not how it works. Its a post your job and attract users that look for it, not 'PR your job and fight down competitors through staying on page 1' - if thats the task, offer it on gamasutra and pay for that priviledge like everyone else

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hire charlie to look after collab.

39. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

by hire you mean enslave right?

40. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

It has the feel of one of those movies/books/TV shows/etc; where the one guy goes to the high security prison, drops a folder on the table in front of the other guy, and offers him a mission in exchange for his freedom.

The Man: "You're stuck in here, nobody knows you even exist. If you do this, you can get your life back."
    The Hero: "Look after the collab section of the Unity forums?"
    The Man: "That's right."
    The Hero: "$@^#! no."

41. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Heh, Id love to do it.

42. Acumen

Acumen

I'd prefer someone who is not commercially attached to any other projects than Unity - for any community related moderator work.
    Already feels weird to me, personally, when Thomas posts too often about his own stuff :D
    You gotta do a keely then ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  43. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I think its great, it tears down the wall that staff are 'better' than you and makes everyone more combined as a group. Which fits with the companies name ;)

44. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

Based in Brighton...

...you can head over to their jobs page: http://unity3d.com/company/jobs/overview

45. Khyrid

Khyrid

46. Acumen

Acumen

Yeh right ;)

I think its great that they take their time. And no non-paid project is that important that it cant wait for a couple of days to be posted.
    Qualitly assurance, sure nice to have. But that needs to be nonbiased.

47. goat

goat

Because it feels so abusive to have one person handle this role I'd almost volunteer to split the job 50% / 50% with you but I REALLY don't want to spend my entire day rejecting Zombie bloody shootup collab requests.

Maybe as part of the rejection of a post an professional email could be sent out with links to Unity's tutorials in other genres and humbly suggesting one of these as inspiration for their new games.

48. Aguy

Aguy

Abusive? It's just part of the job.

So should I not add you to my mailing list for Zombies vs Bears vs Santa vs Hookers?

Why send them something in other genres if it's not what they want to do? The whole idea of getting into this is to do what you want to do not what someone else wants you to do. If that was the case they could go learn something and get hired by EA or whoever.

49. npsf3000

npsf3000

Req. Sent.

50. goat

goat

I'm operating on the premise that they actually want to make money and say goodbye to a life of 9 to 5 at the office not that they are actually interested in another zombie game or making games at all really. Gaming is flooded with apps and in particular zombie games.

Think about it: years of expensive college loans to pay off (a lifetime if you happen to live in the US and the wrong college tricks you into enrolling: milking the government mint's printing press you see) if you even graduate high school. In either case a lifetime of a poorly paying job when you'd probably want to do other things and you hear you can get rich writing apps and games for the app store and that even 12 year olds have managed it. You hear about these fart apps and you're thinking I'm retiring next month! Yeah! I'm thinking most of these people searching for collabs are not actually interested in programming or making a game as far as that goes.

These things go in cycles. I noticed last week there is actually another fart app in the top 50 so there you go. I bet no one saw that coming.