Search Unity

TextMesh Pro The character used for Ellipsis is not available in font asset

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by JustAnotherDude, Jun 11, 2019.

1. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

I just updated my unity from 2018.4.1 to 2018.4.2

I'm now getting hundreds of warnings on the console:

The character used for Ellipsis is not available in font asset [Asset Font Name].
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object, Object)
    TMPro.TMP_Text:GetSpecialCharacters(TMP_FontAsset) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_Text.cs:5497)
    TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI:LoadFontAsset() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMPro_UGUI_Private.cs:561)
    TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI:OnValidate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMPro_UGUI_Private.cs:302)

I tried updating the Atlas Texture and had no success.

The texts are all normal texts, Options, Start, Quit, etc...

What Ellipsis is this? How do I fix this?

edit: I noticed my TMP updated from 1.3.0 to 1.4.1

edit2: Downgrading to 1.3.0 using the package manager and restoring the assets from my source control fixed it.

edit3: But lots of configurations are lost by downgrading, I guess version 1.3.0 has issues with Unity 2018.4.2.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

This is a warning that can be disabled in the TMP Settings.

You should be using version 1.4.1 with Unity 2018.4.

The Ellipsis is the "..." used in the Ellipsis Overflow mode.

3. Paul_Bronowski

Paul_Bronowski

In ProjectSettings -> TextMesh Pro, set the Fallback font Assets to something like the provided 'LiberationSans SDF - Fallback'

jimmack likes this.
  4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Like I said in a previous thread, I really want to re-work the handling of those special characters.

Clearly re-setting the Warning where it is now enabled by default caused confusion. Most likely a lot of user created font assets were missing those special characters but given the warning was disabled users were simply unaware of it so although nothing changes. The spam of warnings made it appear differently.

5. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

I'd say handling of special characters shouldn't be an issue for TMP, the person using the asset with a custom font will notice missing chars and fix it themselves, this is how I always used it and I always considered it fine.

Particularly on this ellipsis issue, I never use the Ellipsis Overflow mode which confused me further. I didn't even know this ellipsis character existed :)

6. andrew-fray

andrew-fray

Had the same problem - I'm using a few fonts that don't even seem(?) to have the ellipsis character in them, nor strikethrough or underline. I'm only using them for scores, I know that's not a problem. I'd like to not disable warnings for every character everywhere, but I'd like to hide these specific warnings for these fonts.

7. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Are you using Ellipsis, Underline or Strikethrough at all?

Let me think about adding the ability to disable warnings specific to these special characters.

P.S. TMP should be able to locate Ellipsis anywhere now thru the fallback chain. However, that is not the case for underline and strikethrough.

8. andrew-fray

andrew-fray

nope, not using them at all