Search Unity

The Bounds are not culling the particles and I cannot figure out why

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by MA551MM0, Jul 14, 2021.

1. MA551MM0

MA551MM0

Previously when I have worked with VFX graph I have found that one of the usual gotcha's is that particles don't render when outside of the bounds. I have learnt to check the bounds to ensure this doesn't trip me up.

More recently I have found that the Bounds no longer seem to have any effect on the particles that are rendered, i.e. that I can see them even when they are outside the bounds.

I have attached an image to show a VFX graph system with the bounds visible and the particles (in this case grass texture on quads) outside the bounds still rendering.

Additionally, I have noticed that when the camera is pointing away from the bounds and far from it, the particles still render, but I am expecting they would be culled.

I have tried various culling options on the output quad and on the VFX graph object itself and none of these seems to affect this behaviour.

Attached Files:

2. MA551MM0

MA551MM0

Just attaching another example that may show the issue better.

Attached Files:

3. Qriva

Qriva

Bound are used to cull whole visual effect by the camera. If there are particles outside of the bounds they are still rendered. In short as long as camera can see at least a tiny bit of bounds, the system will be rendered.

About point away - I guess you determined this by looking away the main camera and checking the system in scene view. If thats the case then it does not work like this, scene view is not rendering what main camera can see, but separate scene view camera, so you should still see particles. Correct me if I understood something wrong.

silencesquare likes this.
  4. MA551MM0

MA551MM0

Thank you for your excellent answer it is hugely appreciated and extremely helpful.