Search Unity

The best way to get Unity developer experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yongar, May 11, 2015.

1. Yongar

Yongar

Greetings everyone. I would appreciate your comments and pieces of advice regarding a question - where can I get a necessary experience to become a Unity developer (or game designer)? The idea of becoming a game designer or developer can't get out of my head, and I'm doing everything that I can to succeed in it. For now I'm learning the ways around Unity and all about it, and the problem, that I always think about is how to get this to the decent job position.
    Of course the best way to show your experience is to create something in Unity and present it, but the problem is that I know only basics of 3D-modeling and I need to get required assets from somewhere else. There can be dozens (or hundreds) of assets to create a location that I want, but if I buy all of them in Asset Store it is gonna cost me quite an amount. So the thing is, should I create some location using free assests + some paid assets and then present it to the company or is there any other (better) way to get an experience, thus getting a job position?
    Sorry for noob questions (if there any) and thank you for your comments and support beforehand.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Make games.

3. Jimmy-P

Jimmy-P

I think unless you have formal education or industry experience, you must present a pretty solid portfolio of games in order to be considered for a position at a game company. So if your aim is to get a job with a game company, and you are unwilling or unable to get formal education, then finish a few projects first.

About assets, there are many cheap 3D model packages in the store. If you are unwilling to learn 3D modelling, then you must either find someone to collaborate with or buy the assets from the store.

Of course, 3D models are not a requirement. Use your creativity and create a game in which the models are incredibly simple.

Schneider21, NomadKing and Yongar like this.
  4. Yongar

Yongar

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by formal education =) I'm studying online on Digital Tutors and they have certificates, but I don't think it can be considered as "formal" education. I would like to learn more about modelling, but it's gonna take a lot of time before I can do something suitable for industry (and usually it is a job for artists, coz they just do it better).

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Formal education = computer science degree or equivalent.

angrypenguin and Yongar like this.
  6. Yongar

Yongar

Okay, thank you =)

Kiwasi likes this.
  7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, these fine people have nailed it.

1. Make games.
    2. Formally study your field of interest, be it programming or art.

People can get into the industry just doing one or the other, but doing both increases your chances. Also: start early, practice lots, and finish things.

8. wbailey79

wbailey79

As far as getting experience in Game Development in Unity you could also look and see if there is possibly a MeetUp group in your local area.
    http://unity3d.com/community/user-groups

Such groups could provide an excellent place to network, learn from experienced people in person, and possibly collaborate on projects.

Yongar and angrypenguin like this.
  9. drewradley

drewradley

from an accredited institution.

Kiwasi and angrypenguin like this.
  10. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

You already knew the answer. Release SMALL games; improve; repeat - until too good to ignore. Good luck.
    Gigi

11. Yongar

Yongar

Thanks everyone for answers =)

Kiwasi and angrypenguin like this.
  12. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)