Search Unity

The best way to create a MMORPG

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by RjToni, Jul 10, 2014.

1. RjToni

RjToni

Hi, everyone,

I have no doubt that Unity can create mmo games. But I have some questions. Example: How is the maximum simultaneous connections? Wich API is the best? Photon or Unity Networking? Is that possible create a framework like photon from the zero? if yes, how is the best start? How much cost, the whole project will be involved? How much time will be spend for a lone developer, like me, to develope playable mmo?

I'm sorry for my English, I'm Brazilian and isn't my native language, you know. And I'm very sorry if I've made a mistake about the thread name, I haven't clue about a clear name.

Thank you very much

2. Cjreek

Cjreek

Sure, otherwise Photon couldn't have done it :p
    Well.. depends on how much you spend on this project. You can buy assets/hire people or you make everything yourself.
    A lifetime probably :p

Seriously, you can't make an entire MMORPG on your own. Did you make other games until now? If you didn't then try to make a small and simple single player game. You will be suprised how long it will take you to finish even a small game ;-)

For a MMORPG you need (much) experience, a team and probably even more time and/or money (depends on how much your team does on its own)

RjToni likes this.
  3. RjToni

RjToni

whoa... So sad, but wait. I'm not talking about the next world of warcraft. I'm thinking about something more... simple, like mu global or something. How much players on line the Unity networking framework would support?

4. Cjreek

Cjreek

Are those pictures of the game you are talking about: https://www.google.com/search?q=mu global&tbm=isch ?
    In that case everything I said still applies ;-)

I don't know how many players unity networkworking framework can handle.
    Photon is offering licenses for 500 CCUs (players online at one time) so this should be possible with Photon.
    I guess with the default unity networking framework you probably could do about 500 as well.

But I just started with multiplayer games myself so I can't tell you more about this I guess :/

RjToni likes this.
  5. RjToni

RjToni

Thanks, man... you gave me some light. Well, I'll keep looking ;)

6. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

I wouldn't recommend anything over 40 connections using the Standard Unity Networking.

7. MrAkroMenToS

MrAkroMenToS

I already read a similar question around here, and I answered it. I'll copy it here:)
    Get your useful information from my previous comment. For you I highly recommend to write a basic network with sockets. I wont buy any finished network engines and Unity networking is not good for MMO.
    The time? MUCH - MUCH - MUCH and more then you can imagine, I wrote above something about it, but this QUOTE is for a beginner guy who just started to learn programming and c#.

Best regards ~ MrAkroMenToS

8. RjToni

RjToni

Thanks, MrAkroMenToS, it was a very valuable info. Well, I have a little experience with programing, I've already made some simple games, and now I'm convinced that it'll take a lot of time for a "one man army" like me, but I'll give a shot. Thanks again ;)

9. Marcos-Amabile

Marcos-Amabile

Em Português.

Olha cara eu também sou um amante de MMO, estou na mesma como você, tenho conhecimento em modelagem se quiser posso te ajudar com isso. Programação eu trabalho dando aula de programação e participei de um projeto que tinha por finalidade criar um MMO, mas não deu certo porque o pessoal ficava de brincadeira nas reuniões. O cara que fazia o server não entregava as coisas rápido, metade do pessoal fazia faculdade e podia trabalhar no projeto só final de semana. De regra geral não usa o Photon porque o cara que fazia o server para nós ele mesmo não usou porque só suporta poucas conexão e ainda por cima da leeeeeeg com muitos clientes online, ele pensou em construir um Socket usando a KaletaNetwork, você só ficaria limitado a banda de conexão, então aumente sua Velocidade de conexão, e usando a Kaleta ele poderia ate trabalhar com um dedicado.

In English

Look man I'm also a lover of MMO, I'm the same as you, I have knowledge in modeling if you want I can help you with that. I work schedule giving programming class and have participated in a project that was intended to create an MMO, but it did not work because the staff was joking meetings. The guy who did the server not handing things fast, half the staff was in college and could only work on the project this weekend. General rule does not use the Photon because the guy who did the server for us he did not use because it only supports a few connections and on top of leeeeeeg with many online customers, he thought of building a Socket using KaletaNetwork, you would be limited only band connection, then increase your speed of connection, and using Kaleta until he could work with a dedicated.

10. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Alright, I'm not really going to type out this entire 'Hate Speech' or the 'Lmfao' thread that you will see around these forums, but I highly recommend that you start off somewhere smaller, such as a 2-4 player RPG. You're talking about creating an MMORPG (and the first M in that stands for Massively, meaning thousands of active users). The 2-4 player RPG is a 'MORPG' or a (Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game).

Do you understand anything about networking? Do you know how to create a basic chatserver? Using accounts, etc? Trust me when I say this, I'm not even really working on a MMORPG, I'm working on a MoBA which I guess you can call a "MMoBA" if it gets big enough. I can tell you from experience it's not easy, and if you don't want to end up forking thousands of dollars out, I would recommend you create your own networking solution.

I've been working on this MoBA Server for around three months now. I'm using Asynchronous TCP and I believe that it's going to work out. If not, then I'll have to implement UDP for some things, which will take awhile as-well.

I'm not sure which languages that you're familliar with (If any), but I've found Java for be very friendly when it comes to servers and they perform quite well. There's always the argument that C# is better, or C++ is better, or vB is better; But benchmarks show that it's all pretty much the same these days and it's up to preference.

11. RjToni

RjToni

Christian, yeah.... I agree... because, I'll have a lot of time to develop a massive game, and a monster server, so, probally I'll make a multiplayer rpg with 10 CCU max... As long the game will getting a good approval, I'll funding until it become massive. Thank you for the tips and advices, and I hope that you help me ahead, because I still have some technical doubts about the developing, but this is an issue for another thread, I guess, ;-)

Thank you, again

12. Polys

Polys

Unity is creating a networking solustion
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/12/announcing-unet-new-unity-multiplayer-technology/ not sure if it'll be in the free version but the old one certainly deserves a replacement from what I read.

Online and computers evolve so fast that if you tried to create something huge and content heavy alone you'd be outdated by release. Minecraft for example was doable because it was procedural and didn't require making 50 bad guy models rigging them, animating them, voicing them, placing them, and that's before they do anything useful together.

The ideal game is one you can finish in a reasonable amount of time, even as a solo developer. It can be massive multiplayerI suppose, but it should be doable and you won't know whats doable until you've tried something easier perhaps.