Search Unity

The best software for creating human animations?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by DanaMazzo, Feb 12, 2014.

1. DanaMazzo

DanaMazzo

The best software for creating human animations?

I personally using BLENDER. And Im new to Unity. :confused:
    Blender gaves me animations in .bvh and .anim extensions.

I have problem to IMPORT BVH to Unity. :confused:
    I have problem to convert .bvh to .fbx cuz can't get pure animation but with meshes,
    I dont need mesh, allready have it on scene. :confused:

Please help :|

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. TremesEx

TremesEx

In blender, you can export directly to fbx. You dont have to export it on bvh/anim extensions

3. DanaMazzo

DanaMazzo

I was using avastar (plugin for rigging and animation for second life) in Blender, but I didn't achieve to use it cuz of some strange things and btw animation wasn't work....
    I dont know, im confused about unity a lot....

4. Kayreios

Kayreios

Bumping this because I would also like a simple workflow to work on animations, but not necessarily import the mesh with it. I also have Blender

[Edit 02] I am now using a workflow with Blender 2.69 that imports FBX. I had to patch the importer from Github to import the armature (e.g. from the Unity Sample Beta Characters). When I originally patched the .py did not save properly, I ended up copy and pasting over the old files from the github code viewer. They are located in the /scripts/addons/io_scene_fbx/ folder in 2.69. I then can see the armature the character is using and make sure the ones I create in Rigify are identical then animate. Have not yet reached a point with results in Unity, working on that.

https://github.com/jbruening/fbximport

[Edit] See below found a way to do this, or at least looks like it so far...

I appear to have made this work by only creating an armature in Blender, then I created some keyframes and Auto-IK'd a quick animation. I then exported to .FBX with no other mesh (in blender) and put this file into the asset folder of Unity.

Once I was in unity, in the inspector for the same .fbx I set the "RIG" setting to Animation Type Humanoid and Avatar Definition to Copy from Other Avatar. I then set the source Avatar to one of the standard asset characters.

I then made a new animator controller and dragged it onto the same standard asset character in my scene and I can now select my animation when I create new blend trees in this animator.

I used Riggify in Blender to create a human meta-rig armature to do this.

It looks to have worked, but I have not gone far enough to actually get results onscreen yet.

--> Would be curious if anyone else is using this workflow, or is there a better way to do this...?

K

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014