Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The (Bad) Influence Device *added* Link to Game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Krise, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Krise

Krise

Here is my first Drone for my attempt at recreating the old Paradroid game for the Amiga. I doubt I will ever get close, but its a good goal for me while I struggle my way through Unity's tutorials.
    I have given my version of the Influence Device miniguns because... uhm... well miniguns are fun, and there really is no need for netcables hanging out everywhere like the old one since everything will be wireless now.

*EDIT* Here is the worker Drone complete with flaming doom spraying device and various sensory gadgetry.

*EDIT 2* Now there is a playable version :)

http://web.mac.com/krises/Site/V.A._Game.html

Attached Files:

2. MetroidHunter

MetroidHunter

Lol! Thats grate!! :)

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

+1, looking good! Now of course you need to show it to us in action, mini-guns a blazin'! :D

4. Krise

Krise

Thanks guys, well I will try to get this thing moving and shootin' a.s.a.p but my Unity skills are practically nonexistent as yet, so it might take me a while :)

5. MetroidHunter

MetroidHunter

I not really doing anything... :wink:

6. jeremyace

jeremyace

Looking cool.

Heck, you can mount mini-guns on anything and have it just look right.

I still want mini-guns on my desk chair...

-Jeremy

7. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

Very cool... kinda looks like a miner's hard hat with miniguns where the torches should be.

8. jeremyace

jeremyace

A hat with torches! Screw my chair-mini-gun order, I want one of those!

Or do you mean "torches" as in flashlights and not as in Acetylene powered geysers of flaming fury?

-Jeremy

9. ian Maclachlan

ian Maclachlan

You'd need some sturdy eyebrows to use one of those lol

10. jeremyace

jeremyace

My "hobbies" relieved me of any annoying facial hair like eye brows. I never used em much anyway.

Krise: every time I look at your model I picture it zooming down halls causing havok while it laughs in a very twisted way. Hopefully this is how you plan to use it?

-Jeremy

11. Proto

Proto

<-- undefeated transfer champion circa 1986, original Commodore 64 version. I loved this game.

Did you know Andrew Braybrook kept a development journal when he was making the game for the C64? It's quite a nostalgic trip, especially the bit where he loses work after a power failure without persistent HD storage.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/paradroid90/paradroid90/zzap64.html

Transmission terminated.

12. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

Yep, flashlights are what I meant, but hey... a pair of flamethrowers would be great. Maybe Krise can model another sentry with a couple of "Acetylene geysers of flaming fury" instead.

13. Krise

Krise

@jeremyace, Yes! The more "MUAAAAAAhahahahahaa" the better I always say ;)

@Proto. thats sweet, great fun to read about how these old classics came about, I had no idea this was out there, thanks :)

I will continue working on the worker drone today, and I will see if I can squeeze in a little time to equip the I.D. with flaming weapons of doom, just to light up its surroundings of course, it has to be plausible ;)

Krise

14. Krise

Krise

As per the above request here is the ID with flamers in stead of the miniguns ;)

Attached Files:

15. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Nice! :twisted:

Flamethrowers... ON!

16. jeremyace

jeremyace

I am in heaven! Heh, nice work man.

The mini-gun and flamethrower parts also look like they would actually technically work, which isn't always the easiest effect to get.

-Jeremy

17. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

Awesome!

Just out of curiosity, what modelling software are you using, and what's the poly count on those models?

18. Krise

Krise

@Neural_Echo, Thanks for the positive feedback. I have used Blender for modeling these, and the polycount on the Influence Device is around 6000, thats face count anyway, quads.

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's a bit high for game usage. Typically you want to keep polygons around 3000-4000 triangles per object (6000 quads is going to be about 12000 triangles).

--Eric

20. Krise

Krise

@Eric5h5, yea I realized that it was a bit much, I will need to remodel both drones as Unity seems to simplify them when I import them anyway so a lot of the details are lost. It also does not import the textures properly.

I am rethinking the theme all together though, I might want to go more steam-punk in the look, but I will play around with a few concept sketches today.

21. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Hmm, that's not the case. Unity will import anything up to 65,536 polygons as-is. (Anything over that just fails.) If I had to guess, it's that you have automatically calculate normals on in the import settings; might want to check that.

--Eric

22. Krise

Krise

I cant seem to find the import settings, I think it might also have something to do with the fact my models are apparently tiny compared to everything else in Unity, perhaps if I make the models bigger in Blender they might import better (not sure this has any relevance at all)

23. Krise

Krise

Found it *slaps forehead*

24. Krise

Krise

Ok I got an export now that shoots, bullet trails and all, now I just need to figure out how to get the webplayer to work with .mac Any ideas?

Kruse

25. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

26. Krise

Krise

Nope, I have tried, tried and tried again, I have no idea how to add the web player to the site :(

27. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Okay... explain exactly what you've tried because the way you are wording it is confusing me and I can't help unless I know what you've tried.

28. giulioandrea

giulioandrea

to work with .mac
    just link the page which loads the game as a file and drop the game into the same folder on the server.
    also you need to change the link to the game within the page which loads it:
    "http://web.mac.com/YOURID/iWeb/Main%20site/watever_files/whatever.unityweb"
    this should work.

Attached Files:

29. Krise

Krise

Ok thanks to giulioandrea and aaronsullivan, my very first playable version of "Viral Agent" is online, the link to take you there is this:

http://web.mac.com/krises/Site/V.A._Game.html

Mouse moves camera,
    L.M.B. Fires guns,
    Arrow keys, or "w" "s" "a" "d" Controls the drone.

Hopefully it all works. There is no sound, or textures on the background yet... oh and there is also no point :) Just that I am really proud I finally got this thing shooting with flashy lights, bullet trails and little sparks on impact. Babysteps ;)

Krise

30. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

The first time I tried... it didn't work. GASP!
    Now it works fine though. Nice.

31. Lallander

Lallander

Looking forward to seeing where this one goes. Keep up the good work.

32. Marble

Marble

That music is really annoying.

But it fits perfectly. :D

33. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

Looks like you've used a much lower poly version of your original renders for the sentry bot, who by the way isn't very environmentally friendly with all that smoke he's billowing :)

You've got some good effects going there. If you don't mind me asking, how'd you create the bullets?

34. Krise

Krise

@Neural_Echo, thats what I was saying earlier, it looks like Unity imports a simplified version, the orange material does not have its texture applied and half of the right side minigun is missing. Not sure what to do about it, maybe I should try different types of exports from Blender, does anyone else use Blender to model? And if so, what type of export do you use?

I am really sorry about the music, I just couldnt help myself, I just got into the whole Mac side of things after being a loyal PC user for years and I love Garage Band ;)

This is obviously not the style the game will have when I close on finishing it, I am very new to the whole game development so its hit and miss, hopefully it will become more spooky and sinister somewhere down the WIP trail :)

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Krise

35. Jessy

Jessy

You mention Garageband. Did you use Apple Loops, or did you record that music yourself?

It's some good playing, but like almost all audio loops, it doesn't repeat cleanly.

36. Krise

Krise

Its all from the build in selection in Garage Band :)

37. Krise

Krise

Its all from the build in selection in Garage Band :)

38. Krise

Krise

@Neural_Echo, I forgot to tell you, the bullets are very small spheres with a trail particle attached, also the sound of the shot is attached to the sphere so the sound travels with the bullet.

39. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

Thanks Krise :) ... Even though I haven't experimented with them yet, I actually thought you were using one of the line functions, but that's a really neat solution you've implemented.

40. Krise

Krise

@Neural_echo, No problem mate, it was Higgyb who pointed me in that direction, the trails are really easy to use and very intuitive in the way they are applied :)

41. Krise

Krise

Added texture to the floor and made things really really dark, right click or "ALT" on the laptop fires flares to help with this. I dont know how to limit the amount of flares the droid can fire at any one time so it can get VERY bright if you fire alot :)

New link:

http://web.mac.com/krises/Site/V.A._Game_files/ViralAgent.html

Krise

42. terransage

terransage

I blasted those cubes pretty darn good. They deserved everything they had comin' to them! :twisted:

Nice work, Krise!

43. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

May I ask, why so dark? It seems to hide the device from my eyes a bit too much. Sure, I fired a boat load of flares into the air so I could see around me, but still... Either way keep it up!

44. Krise

Krise

Thanks guys,

@HiggyB, well was going to try to create a kind of sinister atmosphere, making it very dark was part of that. I am not sure how much further I will go with this project, I am still using it to learn the basics in Unity but I have started creating characters and sketching worlds for another project. Trouble is I dont seem to have enough time at the moment. :)

Krise

45. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Fair enough then... Hopefully you'll find some time as I want to see more of this bad lil' device. :twisted: