Search Unity

The background story About Unity forum and our volunteer Moderators ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mountblanc, Jul 25, 2019.

1. mountblanc

mountblanc

I am not from the beginning of Unity so i was wondering some questions and as its to HOT to start up Unity its about time i asked the questions that are so long going true my mind:

So Hello Mods !

-How did the Unity moderating begin for you ?
    -What are you moderators developing with Unity / where are you working (what branch or what you like to share) and how can you find the time to moderate as it takes you away from tinkering with Unity :) ?
    -How does contact with Unity go between the moderators and Unity?
    -If their was one thing you wanted to change at Unity what would it be ?
    -What is the best thing about Unity?
    -What is the worst thing about us Forum users at the forum ? (besides asking silly questions like this ?)
    -What is the best thing about us Unity forum users?

p.s. I hope i put this post in the correct sub-forum else first post i get is a warning from a moderator ;-)

Deleted User likes this.
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

I am not Unity moderator of course, but I can probably answer this from similar experience.

Anyone need take moment from dev and tinkering and get some distraction, to refresh mind.
    Going for a walk does work. But taking few min to read forum is also good alternative in some cases.
    Now once on the forum, as moderator you got few extra options / indicators / buttons.
    Some like spam, reports, warnings and, or bans.
    Most often is responding / checking to reports. Non need to read every post. We users can be very helpful here. As well as pain in backside :)
    Then of course reading through interesting, suspicious, or and (very) active threads, as well as some random posts checks, may be part of voluntary duty of mods. That may be similarly as you read through selected posts.

Sometimes modding does not require any response to users, only act on relevant event.
    Moving, locking, removing post / threads (i.e. spam). Adding note to removed posts, is informative to users, with stated reason for the action. Other time, sometimes comment from mod may be required, to keep discussion on the track. Specially when we users, drift too far away from the main thread. :)

So most often, is no much to moderate. Specially when there are multiple moderators. Also, assigned moderators per relevant forum sections can help orgainise moderating and focus their responsibility in specific area.

3. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I was a forum mod for a while before I became an employee, so I can answer some of these...

I was working on a game, in Unity, for about 4 years. I've been an active participant in web forums for game development since age 13, so it was natural that I started posting on the Unity forums too... after a while, between my forum activity, the AltDevBlogADay articles I wrote, the talks I was giving at user groups, the feedback I was giving on alphas and betas and so on... UT staff had started to get to know me, and @Aurore asked me if I wanted to help out with her Arabic dishwasher repair problem. I accepted!

I'm looking after Unity's internal build pipeline (building Unity itself from C++/C# sources across 30 platforms). I don't do much active moderating these days, but I tend to pop onto the forums several times a day, and will sometimes go through the reported posts and clean up spam :)

Our forum mods are all invited to an internal Slack channel, where they can talk directly with the community management team (plus a few bystanders, such as myself). It's pretty quiet though. Note that I think for the most part the mods are all also active in places like the alpha/beta forums too, giving us feedback just like everyone else.

From my POV: it's either got to be the incredible diversity of what you are all working on - everything from cool new mobile games, to crazy ambitious MMOs (which, even if they usually don't go anywhere, I love you for trying), to medical training simulations, to immersive art gallery pieces - or the extent to which so many of you are willing to spend time and effort helping each other out, sharing knowledge and ideas and solutions.

Ony, Deleted User, Kiwasi and 6 others like this.
  4. mountblanc

mountblanc

Nice to meet you superpig. I have not seen you so far but that;s more me as i mostly read the forums quickly in my lunch breaks. Thanks for sharing some background info. About the platforms: First thing i noticed when trying Unity was that how the porting on PC, I Phone and Android resulted in having the same experience. and even having the same Unity bugs ;-) I remember clearly the surprise i had as before hand i expected to see some saddle and less saddle differences.
    Their probably are some but not noticeable by a hobby user like me.
    So cu do's to the team that handle all the platforms. Must be a nightmare at times even more so with all the different Unity versions. But you guys and girls pulled it off.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It’s getting old, but there is at least one blog post that was a profile on one of our mods.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/kr/2014/03/11/we-got-karma/

Unity also occasionally asks highly active users to participate in focus groups and testing. The mother of dragons used to be fairly active in this space. I’ve done a few groups.

There are also some back channel private discussions that go between long time users. You work on a project together with someone.Then you just keep chatting afterwards. Occasionally these discussions shift towards “let’s make a concerted effort to change the forum culture in some way”.

Ony, Socrates and mountblanc like this.