Search Unity

the asset store has moved

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SympaK, Sep 2, 2020.

1. SympaK

SympaK

I'm in the latest 2010.1x... From the engine I get "you can visit the asset store from 202.1 onwards. The asset store has moved". What? Why one cannot visit the store from the app now? Previously we cannot view either any videos in thes store from the engine, now this... What is happening to this company?

wata_fooling likes this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

You can now find your purchased Assets via the "My Assets" menu in the
    Package Manager

Also, you can still buy new Assets via assetstore.unity.com.

The Asset Store Window inside Unity relied on the outdated Chromium Editor Framework (CEF). It got removed as "this technology no longer offers a modern experience" (src).

3. Vryken

Vryken

Relax, they just changed how assets are imported, as mentioned above. It's not the end of the world.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

The same thing that's been happening for 15 years. They change something and people start declaring the engine is dead and that they're switching to Unreal. The rest of us just keep working. ;)

PraetorBlue and JoNax97 like this.
  5. SympaK

SympaK

Yes but why you changed it? It wasn't good as it was previously?

6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I also miss the asset store for the simple reason that it had thumbnails for each assets making it quick to look for assets, the current package manager only has written listing without thumbnails, it would be nice if a grid view can be added to the package manager

SympaK likes this.
  7. SympaK

SympaK

Yeah I don't understand: all worked well (except from the videos) with the previous system, why changed it?

8. Mauri

Mauri

(I should probably emphasize that I'm not working at/for Unity Technologies...)

Considering that the Unity Editor is evolving (becoming more modern, e.g. the Editor UI), it kinda makes sense to remove stuff that is simply outdated (and slow, among bloated) and can't be directly replaced with something better. Due to its nature, the Package Manager seems to be a good fit to be a central place for Assets?!

Schneider21 likes this.
  9. SympaK

SympaK

If oinly it had had any searching ability: I didn't found none. Though also this grey slate appearence, confined within a slice of the editor instead of a full wide white clear page, makes an impression for whom who was accustomed to the "old" way. I guess restriction cannot be meant a progress anyway. Maybe's a matter of making an habit to it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  10. Vryken

Vryken

SympaK likes this.
  11. SympaK

SympaK

A clear skin? Good. Finally. Where it is? I didn't even noticed the box in the default dark one.