Search Unity

The Asset Flip (The Jimquisition)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aiursrage2k, May 26, 2015.

1. darkhog

darkhog

But can you put in it easily value over int's limits? Like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. cInt num = 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999;
    I don't think so. It wouldn't even compile

2. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Yes. I'd parse it as a string and break it off where necessary ;)

3. darkhog

darkhog

Which leads to performance issues I've mentioned earlier:

4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I must be missing something... my cell shows this being the The Asset Flip Jimquisition thread yet somehow it has turned to coding. lol Maybe my phone is flipping out.

AndrewGrayGames and Ony like this.
  5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Whaaaat? no... string operations are the fastest ever! They only made the difference of 32 minutes and 2 seconds on a project of mine for attempting to log the process of agglomerative clustering algorithms run on a set of 500 points.

We're just showing the asset flippers how it's done.

6. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Did you guys see this one. Salty. I think we can all relate somewhat to it. Although I dont get that salty myself.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Rodolfo-Rubens and Ony like this.
  7. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

here iam alone making all my own 3d models, my own everything, even music because i love my own work and think EVERYONE else's is S*** (u know what i mean, like, even if i could hire anyone, i wouldnt lol) and by the time im done with my game, greenlight will be gone because of these punks

8. Kasko

Kasko

Time to bump the thread as I saw "Hammer 2" today on the homepage of the Unity asset store, I thought "well, it's a good contender to be "ripped" and put on Greenlight like Unitz...."
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/43670

Then I checked Greenlight new submissions and BOOM:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=512020640

It could have been the original dev (XForm Games) that could have put a build on steam greenlight to make some money on the side but clicking on the "dev" steam collection shows that he also "published" Craft Lands earlier which was already an UnitZ asset flip so looks like another scam.... I tweeted Jim about this, let's see how it goes....

Ony likes this.
  9. Ony

Ony

I don't even have the words anymore. Something needs to be done.

10. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

That one right there is really shameless. He didn't even bother to make his own trailer.

What's funny (and sad) about all of this, is that the game in it's entirety is in a webplayer build in the description of the asset for most of these packs.

If I wanted to, I could play unitz or this hammer 2 game right now, in my browser. For free.

11. im

im

Found me some more

Greenlight

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=512020640

flipping

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/43670

Same member also doing another Greenlight

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485717531

flipping

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26912

Also possible copyright infringement on both Greenlights cause of use of screenshots and perhaps videos that do not belong to them and that are found in Unity Asset Store page

12. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Steam Greenlight Simulator looks good. Obviously made by a seemingly stressed out Indie Developer who had all of their dreams not come true. Better to vent this way (and I do like that this game has a clear message) then to grab a gun head to Mickey D's and start shooting.

And maybe it is all made up and just a marketing scheme. I see some talent here.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  13. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Hey these people have to make money. That's what modern Indie Game Developers are all about, right? These particular ones are just trying to work smarter instead of harder. As long as they can get some $ in the end they will be fine I am sure! ;)

darkhog and Ony like this.
  14. Ony

Ony

I'm hoping you forgot the /s tag.

darkhog likes this.
  15. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Me?

Ony likes this.
  16. Kasko

Kasko

What's sad is that the original dev (XForm Games) is also on greenlight:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=505460093
    Needless to say I emailed them about the issue....

What's funny is that I was sure my original comment was gonna be deleted (another user got censored too) so I took screenshots immediately and tweeted them so it will be hard to hide the deletion:
    https://twitter.com/alfrancke/status/639819500473466881
    https://twitter.com/alfrancke/status/639836638458286080

17. AndreasU

AndreasU

Woah, that asset looks awesome...

That reminds of the other thread with the subscription service with the criticism of the race to the bottom. There, some posters where critical about games becoming cheaper and cheaper.

This one here, i see as a race to the bottom in the asset store. So someone made a game that looks really fun, even made a fancy trailer with exciting music and instead of putting it on Steam for $5 or $10 or whatever... they put it on the asset store for $50 for other people to flip.
    Race to the bottom - no, dont put some building blocks in the asset store but rather a finished game with a fancy trailer...

I can understand the outrage but lets think for a moment - as long as (from what it seems from the trailer,) finished games get put on the asset store for a pittance to re-sell, people will flip them and earn a good chunk of money.
    It's pretty straight forward i think.

18. im

im

Last I recall using other peoples videos and screenshots without their permission off their UAS page is still copyright infringement. They license the asset, not the rest of the stuff they taking off store page.

Socrates and GarBenjamin like this.
  19. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

@Gigiwoo is right about the email, text and forum communication methods. I try to make it clear what I am saying and more importantly how I am saying it but it does get lost. Probably why I prefer someone just picks up the phone and calls. Makes everything so much clearer. :)

I am not sure how I feel about people throwing assets out as games. On one hand it seems very "cheap" and wrong. On the other hand it seems like a very good way to do a market test and assess interest before devoting energy, money and time into the project.

20. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Now that is undeniably wrong. Just stealing other people's stuff and using it is wrong. And yet we see most of the world doing it without a second thought these days.

I often think I make everything harder on myself than is necessary because I go out of my way to not just take someone else's stuff and use it as my own unless they say it is free. I do take other's stuff and use it as references in posts.

Still... I can't tell you how many videos I have watched where people were showing how to make graphics or make games or make websites or whatever and one of the first things they did was to show going to Google, Bing etc searching for images and taking them.

Not one word about checking if they were actually available for free use. They just literally took them and of course they ultimately came from people's websites, examples from copyrighted collections that were for sale and so forth.

I think it is just the nature of the world these days. People think the Internet is all just free to do with as you wish.

And you really cannot stop this kind of thing.

You can bring attention to it with posts as can Jim Sterling with his videos. If every one of these people were in the USA yeah you could really clamp down as that stuff is taken very seriously here. Other countries? Not sure how they view it. Do they even care?

And even here in the USA if it is a 13 year old kid doing these things they will get away with it as well.

We have to remember the Internet is open to everyone and we have no idea who these people really are who are doing these things.

Teila and Ony like this.
  21. im

im

Also, that same Greenlight author was doing

Craft Lands
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485717531

which everyone knows to be flip of UnitZ

But what people may have missed is that they are also infringing on the copyright video and screenshots of UnitZ taken off from UAS

Worse the game trailer

is infringing on copyright of Red Bull Records commercial music Sail by Awolnation

22. Kasko

Kasko

Now it gets even funnier as the original dev("PpHammer" from the Burnin' Rubber 5 game) filed a DMCA (noticed on the greenlight) and commented on the page but the author continues to delete our comments (even the ones from the dev).....

23. im

im

yeah, can't wait til Jim gets in on the action...

24. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I'm more excited about the 3-day weekend! Lots of time to work on recreating my little test game in monkey x, haxeflixel and unity! Developing (basically porting to) 3 versions at the "same time" should be interesting. :)

I won't complete the project just hoping to make some great progress!

25. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

That will be taken down. All the person did was post the video and pictures directly from the Asset Store, so it qualifies for a DMCA takedown.

26. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Hammer will bring new life to this thread.

Ony likes this.
  27. derf

derf

It's hammer time!
    (extra points if you know the dance move.)

28. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

That's what I dislike about all of this. Shady "developers" taking advantage of the uneducated masses.

29. im

im

Tomnnn likes this.
  30. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

The people have spoken. Let us respect their wishes. The devs can put the stuff up there and only the gamer community can push the games out of limbo, right?

31. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I guess technically the final product does not exist in another form so... I put them a little higher than the devs who simply sell a build of unitz.

Ony and GarBenjamin like this.
  32. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

It uses multiple assets from the Unity Asset Store, but it appears to be more than just a straight asset flip of an included demo scene. Most of the UnitZ asset flips are literally just the demo scene from the asset.

I don't think we should scoff at every game that uses artwork assets from the Unity Asset Store, regardless of how bad the games look. We should conserve our outrage for the people who directly flip the demo scene from an asset without adding anything original, and for games posted using videos and screenshots ripped directly from the asset store.

33. Ony

Ony

Yup, using assets from the Asset Store is the whole point of the Asset Store. If we jump on every game that uses purchased assets then no one will want to use them at all, killing the store. Flipping assets is a lot different than using them.

34. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Yeah that is what I think too. We don't need a witch hunt for games using Unity Assets even if the bulk of the game consists of nothing but Unity Assets. As long as they are actually producing something different / "more" with it then more power to them. Think of it like building blocks. Maybe 100 people use the same blocks but they may all make something very different with them. Nothing wrong with that.

35. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

36. goat

goat

1st Zombie game I've seen that made me laugh. From the looks of the film of the link page I can see why it's doing well.

37. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I wouldn't mind games using 100% of the same assets if the gameplay was completely different. I'm pretty sure 90% of my prototypes have capsules or cubes with horribly drawn smiley faces wrapped around them for textures.

38. HemiMG

HemiMG

Sterling himself has tried to make the point that using assets is different from just throwing random assets in together with no semblance of artistic cohesion or just selling as asset as is. But I think he started an asset witch hunt that's harder to quell than it was to create. Maybe a future Jimquisition will address the topic, like he had to do when he pointed out that Unity is actually a good game engine in the hands of professionals.

Mostly though, I think it's just a case of there being so much garbage out there that people have begun to look for things to hate rather than for things to enjoy. It's like the popular plot point in television and movies where some poor sap has dated 10 or 11 people who all have horrible flaws, so by the time they get to the 12th they are seeing flaws everywhere. Nobody, or game, is perfect. You can always find the flaws. It's just a matter if what you have been conditioned to expect whether you focus on those or the positives.

Martin_H, GarBenjamin and Ony like this.
  39. im

im

nothing wrong with using stock assets

but if all you do is take demo project that comes with assets and that are normally available for free to play and sell it as your own with little to no other work then it adds no value then that is what has people upset

derf, darkhog and Ony like this.
  40. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

This point can't be stressed enough. Maybe edit the original post and add this in to let new thread watchers know.

Aiursrage2k, derf and Ony like this.
  41. elmar1028

elmar1028

I don't understand what's wrong with Valve. Why can't they review those submissions or at least have someone checking it. Jim can do it so why not Valve?
    Greenlight has an excellent concept but such low barriers of entry make it look bad!

AndrewGrayGames, im and Kiwasi like this.
  42. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

You make a very hard to argue with point there. 1 man is doing it. I'm sure a small team of interns can do it.

im, elmar1028 and Kiwasi like this.
  43. im

im

Valve is only interested in seeing that there is enough interest, if there is, then it gets on store === Valve is only interested in making money, if it thinks it can make money off of something it makes it to the store.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  44. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I guess I can understand that. Refunds only hurt the developer, right? The money goes into your steam wallet so valve doesn't lose money on any purchases, haha.

45. Arowx

Arowx

Noticed that in the latest Unreal Jam they specify that they are looking for beyond template content in game mechanics and assets.

46. GMM

GMM

Well, after all it doesn't take skill to follow a tutorial or paste someone elses work in to a place where it doens't fit, so obviously they have to pick a winner based on skill, originality and innovation ;)

47. im

im

48. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

49. im

im

i actually like unitz! the developer did great job i think. sadly it got bad name cause of all the flipping others did of it.

hammer2 also looks like great work, by some nice developers. too bad people are also abusing it.

50. elmar1028

elmar1028

New way of making money:

1) Make a complete project
    2) Wait for "Asset Flip"
    3) Profit??!!