Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Asset Flip (The Jimquisition)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aiursrage2k, May 26, 2015.

1. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Should I save you the headache? Because UnitZ is that +more. Unitz also has basic networking, crafting,a day adn night cycle, a HUD and spawning rules for the ai-functioning zombies. Thus all the criticisms :p

Ony and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. im

im

I actually don't have a problem with any developer using UnitZ and any other assets that they legally aquired, I'm more bother by lack of transparency, that they do not often have credits at all and that they obscure what they are doing. I am also bothered that they are trying to sell/develop more than one game, which I do not think is very good idea. I am also bothered by how they ban member after member who posts anything that they do not like. Normal developers do not act like that, as far as I've seen.

chelnok and GarBenjamin like this.
  3. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

In theory someone should be able to take the unit-z as a base and make a good game with it. Although thats not whats happening, people are just flipping the same asset without doing anything most of the time trying to make a quick buck, probably people with limited experience maybe they cant even program. Maybe he needs to create some tutorial for flippers.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I really don't need another project besides my 2D underwater action adventure and 2D side scrolling shmup. However, I must say with the new laptop I am much more interested in trying out 3D with Unity (my other laptop kind of made it seem like 3D with Unity would suck based on the games/demos I tried not to mention just using 3D tools in general to do the development). I do like the low poly look a lot and something like UnitZ would probably be a great way to get into Unity 3D. .... .... geesh now I am kind of tempted to buy UnitZ and mess around with it and put out a little "game" (emphasis on the "") on Steam.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It makes you wonder though... what kind of people view UnitZ as a way to spend $50 and hope to resell it for more?

6. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Its hard to fathom (I guess people without much info), whos going to buy the tenth version of unit-z if it was uploaded to steam but people will keep doing it. If your goal is to be a flipper, you would think they would want to actually make money by making a semi-sellable product.

7. im

im

UnitZ, as well as numerous other assets by HardWorker Studio (Rachan Neamprasert) are very affordable, nicely done, really fun to play with and the author is very responsive and supportive.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26912

Sad that his hardwork was so used.

Personally he is one of the very best in UAS.

UnitZ is basically a little game, its good to play with, to study and learn from, sure it needs work to get it commercial, well what i think as commercial, bit you can buy it play with it and friends and hav a whole lot of fun. its better than throwing out the money drinking... ;)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  8. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Yeah I checked out the webplayer demo last night. Seems like a decent foundation. I ended up looking at low poly assets again (been checking for them every few weeks). There is almost enough stuff available to make a decent little game at this point!

9. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I have been distracted thinking about making a UnitZ based game since yesterday. Thanks a lot! ;) Because I already have two projects I cannot allow myself to start on a third where I need to spend time programming and searching out / creating more graphics assets. I've even considered hiring @BoredMormon and / or @Tomnnn to do the core development. Might be time to take a break from the forums again. lol

Ony and chelnok like this.
  10. derf

derf

I agree with this as I did buy the Manor Construction Kit from the asset store which allows building the interior and exterior of houses and mansions, and with a little editing of textures OR adding new materials and textures, I can thereby reuse this asset many times over and it can look different between two types of games as long as they are different in genre or play style. Plus I have created prefabs of my own requirements using the elements provided by the asset builder so I can add a uniqueness to scenes to further differentiate one game environment from another.

11. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Well I guess this is as good a forum as any for it. @darkhog , @ShadowK , @BoredMormon ... the announcement I mentioned in another forum...

I start working on the 27th of july. The company does web software, mobile software and... they're moving on to games. And I'm going to be one of the first people in that department. Woo. So it seems that I will not be exiting this forum when real life takes over, because I get to continue my hobby for money :D

As for your statement, @GarBenjamin, I'm available until that day :p

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    chelnok, GarBenjamin and Deleted User like this.
  12. im

im

so you all finally caving in and going to have stab at asset flipping, wait for me, i'm all full of ideas and we can have some fun at it... we can create greenlight and then post complaints here about our own asset flipping exploits. from what i hear with as little as $50 worth of assets and one time fee of just $100 for greenlight and little mor ethan promises to give members free keys once we are greenlit in little to no time we can be making thousands and thousands that then we can use to repeat, until we multi billion dollar companies of our own. oh and when we are there, i can finally afford to retire to hawaii, i hear the weather is great ;)

13. darkhog

darkhog

@Tomnnn 27th July? So you want to get me a birthday present, huh? ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  14. im

im

sure i get you $0.03 gift over at steam store

just name the $0.03 trading card, background, emoticon, ect that you want

sorry cant afford more i spend all my money buying assets to flip now, just joined latest get quick rich sceme. sounds promising... packing for hawaii already...

i think all we really have to do before striking it rich is just change the name the people see

i suggest like LameZ or even BoredZ, but i think the latter one is already in use. ok waht about ZDay, its different enough from DayZ and it has catchy ring to it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    landon912 and GarBenjamin like this.
  15. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I won't get paid until I've worked for at least 2 weeks, so unfortunately no. Though I never did spend the refund money from witcher 3. $59.99 just sitting there in my steam account still.

Maybe I'll buy ~60 $1 DLCs for games I don't own :D

16. Taz-dragon

Taz-dragon

I'm going to be honest, I really want to see what you guys could do.

17. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I am still getting everything setup on my new laptop and am just about done with that. Another day or two at most. Admittedly, I wasted some time downloading The Blacksmith and tested it on the Higher setting. It actually ran good with only some minor slowdown on the part when he first walked outside. Considering the laptop was running on battery I thought it was kinda inpressive. Maybe they optimized it a bit since the initial reveal.

Anyway... I am only interested in ZDoneRight because I think it would not be too difficult to add some better structure and interaction to the games (or at least for those guys lol).

18. Taz-dragon

Taz-dragon

I also kind of want to see how Sterling would react to a good one. ;)

Tomnnn likes this.
  19. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Well @BoredMormon knows how quaternions work so he's some kind of programmer genius. I am a youngin' who grew up programming so my talent is implementing a lot of things in a short amount of time. A product between either or all of us would be either a brilliant masterpiece or a colossal failure of mixed programming styles.

Main Protagonist: Jimothy Silver
    Source of the zombies: The mysterious green light
    Game Location: The grounds of slaughtering

Gotta have those references in there. And of course program in some drivable vehicles like corn stalks and turtles. I think his weapons could also be themed good indie titles, of course without overdoing.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  20. darkhog

darkhog

Relax, that was just a joke. Because I have b.d. on 27th July.

21. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I worked out the birthday part. The number date of your birthday is divisible by 9. 27 = 2+7=9. 27 is also divisible by 3. Illuminati.

22. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I currently haven't found any work in engineering, so why not? I'm available until I find decent work in engineering. Or if the pay will cover the bills I'm available indefinitely. PM me.

And if you need further references check this one out:

GarBenjamin and Tomnnn like this.
  23. darkhog

darkhog

He knows too much. Will have to take care of him later.

24. chelnok

chelnok

Read the full blog post: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/07/16/asset-store-a-force-for-creative-goodness/

25. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Okay look at this game it was released by Yahtzee (that big game review critic, sold for $10).

Now if you look at it, jim would have ripped it apart if anyone else made it.

26. Ony

Ony

This is my new game called AssasinZ

hippocoder likes this.
  27. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'd play that. Looks good.

Ony likes this.
  28. Narelle

Narelle

But generally, the video is very true. Assets should be a starter point, example, or help in some field where the dev team has no experience. Not a "buy this, put to steam" thing.
    An other thing, that pains me as an asset creator, when someone wildly misuse my asset. No matter how great the model is, if it has no lighting, doesn't fint into the environment, and basically lacks any atristic skills in its implementation, it will look like a bad model.

29. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

To be honest I'd rather believe that than Ubisoft pumping games out faster than CoD.

Ony likes this.
  30. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This actually looks good though. At least different in that I haven't seen a game like this. It looks like an excellent design to pack what feels like a big experience into a simpler framework.

31. darkhog

darkhog

Well, it kinda looks like, mechanics-wise, like Lone Survivor (the only difference is the graphics and driving sections, really). Don't like that kind of game anyway, but it's my personal preference.

Anyway, I have no idea why I don't have this thread in "watched". Fixing it now.

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Only issue I have, I'm not sure what Jim believes is a good game. A lot of it is mass cynicism, which is a trend set off by good old Yahtzee... Without actually discussing correctly and meticulously describing actual issues, his reviews are pretty much pointless.

Not that I disagree on the concept of a "hack job", games should be made correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
    GarBenjamin and Ony like this.
  33. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Well of course the trailer will give that kind of impression for assassin creed games... but they rarely turn out that way :p They're worse than starcraft 1's cinematics vs gameplay!

GarBenjamin and Kiwasi like this.
  34. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I replied to The Consuming Shadow not the Asssassin Creed game. Those Ass games look like the same old thing as we have been getting for about the past decade. lol

35. im

im

After getting hot tip from unhappy customer
    http://imgur.com/a/yceJt

Jim Sterling Strikes Again

Scam Or Stupidity? - Journey Of The Light

Lord Kres caught making misleading and false statements:

Journey Of The Light
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/371440

Announcement For "Missing Levels"
    http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791438327877/announcements/detail/781724583348895625

Game Has Only One Level?
    http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791438327877/announcements/detail/781724355908482823

Major Bug Fix #1
    http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791438327877/announcements/detail/194000289625035806

Update #1: Steam Achievements
    http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791438327877/announcements/detail/196250641313210949

General Questions&Assistance
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/371440/discussions/0/598198356181056631/

Lord Kres
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordkres
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordkres/posthistory/

Valve finally forced to respond:
    http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791438327877/announcements/detail/781724583350427691

Game removed from sales!

Journey Of The Light
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/371440

Game flipping Tower Defense and MOBA
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28234

Sadly Valve as not stopped sales of Lord Kres other game Voxelized
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/344040/

Which is nothing more than flipping Uniblocks Voxel Terrain
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14768

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    chelnok, Aiursrage2k and Tomnnn like this.
  36. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I didn't know valve could do that. That's interesting!

GabeN's mercy and justice are without bound. And GabeN doesn't operate on floats so those boundless bounds are not subject to spatial jitters!

darkhog likes this.
  37. tiggus

tiggus

Wow that's crazy...how does stuff like that get greenlighted?

38. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Ony likes this.
  39. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Because they were too dumb to google first if what they were trying to pull had been done before / how easy it is to snoop unity files. They thought they were being clever by stating the game was so hard that people would never get past the first few levels (and actually level 1 since that's all there is).

Ony and Kiwasi like this.
  40. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah I guess that makes sense, its just so lazy

41. im

im

Actually he would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling kids...

Tomnnn and Ony like this.
  42. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Each time this thread pops up it reminds me I have to get back to work on my own asset flip. I would be so much further ahead on that if it wasn't for Unity 5.1 and the tantalising dream of making Pond Wars multiplayer.

Tomnnn, Ony and Teila like this.
  43. darkhog

darkhog

I think GabeN operate on Ruby's BigNum. Shame that other languages don't feature integers (and reals) that take as much space in memory as they have to - think of it, no more overflows. Well, not by default (in specs) anyway and custom libs that do that are painfully slow (usually operating on strings and doing math like human would, lol).

44. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Until some body accidentally switches a sign and writes code like this.

Code (CSharp):
    1. while (i > 0){
    2.     i++;
    3. }
    At least an overflow is confined to the memory footprint of its type.

45. darkhog

darkhog

No true programmer makes code like this and if someone would write such code, they deserve what they get (OutOfMemory crash).

46. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Fair enough, I'm only a hobbyist, not a "true programmer". But its an easy enough typo to make. Change it into a for loop and its simply pressing one > instead of a <. Accidentally writing an infinite loop with an increment happens from time to time.

47. drewradley

drewradley

True programmers still make mistakes. They are, more or less, human after all.

randomperson42 likes this.
  48. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Does it work better than a chaining integer class?

Code (CSharp):
    1. class cInt {
    3.     public int value;
    4.     public cInt * next;
    6. }

49. im

im

50. Tomnnn

Tomnnn