Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Application Cannot Be Opened

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andyz, Jun 27, 2018.

1. andyz

andyz

Hi I build standalone for mac on windows and then copy the app to a mac.
    Sometimes on mac the app will not run - saying "The Application cannot be opened".
    Problem found on more than one mac.

Is this a permissions issue?
    Is it copying from a windows to mac or one mac to another causing this?

What could be the issue? I see several other people have come across the same problem.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You've left off the important part of the error message, which says why the application cannot be opened.

EDIT: If the error dialog that appears in the GUI isn't detailed enough, try looking in the Console when this occurs for a more detailed error message.

3. andyz

andyz

That is all it says in the popup - it's a mac popup presumably
    What console? This is a standalone build and there is not even an error log at this point

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'd like to see a screen shot of that popup. I would expect it to provide more detail.

And the console I'm talking about is Console, a Mac app you will find under Applications/Utilities.

5. andyz

andyz

Console says:
    spawn_via_launchd() failed, errno=111 label=............

6. isma1034

isma1034

I have the same problem

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Then perhaps you can provide better details than the OP.

8. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

9. andyz

andyz

Same issue again, this is random. Will not appear for ages then again have a big issue on some new Mac. It isn't security related as allow any app turned on to be sure.
    Would you want just a copy of the .app @PixelJ ?

Console error: spawn_via_launchd() failed, errno=111 label=xxx.6336 path=/Users/xxx/Desktop/xxx.app/Contents/MacOS/xxx flags=1

Fix for this was - copy [windows created] .app to a Mac on which it does run. Then copy from that Mac to the Mac on which it fails to run. Now it works! Seems like an issue related to building a Mac .app on windows. Or that it was provided by zip over internet

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  10. Ukounu

Ukounu

This issue is not related to Unity. When an app is created in Windows and then downloaded to macOS, correct file attributes are sometimes (depending on how exactly it was transferred/downloaded) lost, and macOS doesn't recognize app file as executable. The solution is to never distribute a zip archive with an app created in Windows over Internet. It should be either exported from Unity on macOS, or copied from Windows to macOS and compressed into zip archive on macOS before distribution.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    PixelJ and andyz like this.
  11. joydossier

joydossier

What console?

12. nigaf17875

nigaf17875

In the world of cryptocurrencies, login issues can be a frustrating experience for users. Whether you are a seasoned investor or a novice trader, encountering problems while trying to access your crypto accounts Crypto.com login issues | Crypto.com login issues