Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Android App Bundle was not signed

Discussion in 'Android' started by goldmark, Sep 21, 2019.

1. goldmark

goldmark

After uploading a new AAB in the Alpha release track, play console rejects the AAB with "The Android App Bundle was not signed".

I used "Export and upload a key from a Java keystore" when i setup App Signing in the Google Play Console, because I had the keystore/key from before. In Unity I set up the build for Android App Bundle. Also I set up the Android publishing with the keystore / project key and required passwords. The keystore and key are the same as when I setup the Google Play Console for Google App Signing.

Note this is an updated AAB, the previous version that I uploaded worked fine.

Not sure what the problem is.

2. goldmark

goldmark

Solved. Looks like I had Development Build checked. With it unchecked, everything works again

3. NineCentGames

NineCentGames

Did you ever find out if there was any way to get Development builds signed and uploaded to an internal track?

dan_ginovker likes this.
  4. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

This issue was fixed a while ago. Please use a newer Unity version. After updating to a newer Unity version, if you have a custom gradle build file, make sure to regenerate it based on the template in the used Unity version.

honza_unity823 likes this.
  5. SplenShepard

SplenShepard

I am having this issue in Unity 2019.4.2f, not using custom gradle files, and only when building Google Play Bundle in Development Mode and attempting to release it as a Closed Alpha Track on the Google Play Console.

This appears to be related to Google Play Console's security issues with Development/Debugging mode enabled when releasing to an alpha track.

Instead, use the Internal App Sharing for pre-alpha builds that require Debugging mode:
    https://play.google.com/apps/publish/internalappsharing/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  6. LucasHehir

LucasHehir

How new are we talking? I'm getting this issue using Unity 2020.1.8f1.

The builds are coming from Cloud Build so I'm wondering if there's a chance that has something to do with it.

dan_ginovker likes this.
  7. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

The issue I was talking about should not be present in Unity 2020.1.8f1. Also a Cloud Build should not affect it. Have you tried to recreate the gradle build files with this Unity version?
    The recommended way to recreate the gradle build files is to move overwritten files from Android/Plugins to some backup location. Then return to Unity editor. This should recreate the template files which were previously overwritten, but they should be using correct configurations for that specific Unity version. If the files are not recreated automatically, go to the Publishing Settings section in Player Settings and enable checkboxes for the custom gradle templates which you have previously overwritten. After that do the same modifications in newly generated files as you have done before in the backed up files.
    If you don't want to follow the recommended way, you could try comparing the signing sections of the gradle template available with your Unity version and the one you have in Android/Plugins. Look at "buildTypes { debug {" section for "**SIGNCONFIG**" which should be replaced by Unity editor when building the app.

elaine_unity694 likes this.
  8. umaradilad

umaradilad

i was facing the same issue , debugged mode option was enable just simply uncheck the option

shauli21 and elaine_unity694 like this.
  9. HyungonKim

HyungonKim

2020.3.f12 still has the issue.

dan_ginovker likes this.
  10. Mazyod

Mazyod

Same issue persists... Tried to upload a development build to testers on Google Play, but it wasn't signed unless I disabled Development Build.

Unity Version 2021.1.17f1 Personal

AldeRoberge, dan_ginovker and D12294 like this.
  11. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Is this only happening with the Cloud Build, or do local builds reproduce the issue as well?
    Do you have custom gradle templates created with older Unity versions? Maybe the configuration there is incorrect. You could try to recreate them based on the template in the currently used Unity version.

12. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @JuliusM,

I've just hit this issue with 2020.3.20f1 as described here...

https://forum.unity.com/threads/and...ning-aab-even-with-valid-credentials.1183372/

I've a 'beta' UCB config that uses the production keystore and has the development build flag enabled. This has been used successfully in the past (with various versions of Unity 2020.3). I've just updated from 2020.3.18f1 to 2020.3.20f1 and have hit this issue.

So a regression maybe?

Even if unticking the dev build flag will produce signed builds, this is no good as certain debug tools are enabled by the flag (so the build would be useless for internal testing purposes)

PS: Not using custom gradle files.

D12294 likes this.
  13. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Our QA investigated this issue and found out that the same problem is reproducible when creating an app in Android Studio. It seems that Play Store does not allow to upload debug builds anymore.

14. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Thanks @JuliusM much appreciated.

Even for internal builds? That literally makes no sense.

I'll drop Google an e-mail and see if there is a way around it. All my debug code\tools are triggered by the development flag (as I'm sure is the case with most) so Google are basically pushing you to sideload rather than use the internal test track for its primary purpose.

Very odd decision.

15. dan_ginovker

dan_ginovker

Did you get any update on this? I'm likewise having the same issue, internal app sharing or not. The crazy part is it actually works if I upload the .aab manually, it's when uploading from the command line via a script that it doesn't

Unity 2019.4.28f1, development .aab build via Github actions

16. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @dan_ginovker

Apologies I've been on others things for a while, but will be finally uploading beta builds to the stores in the coming few weeks. I'll re-visit then and report back either way.

17. RazvanSuciu

RazvanSuciu

Can confirm that I still can't upload "Development Build" .aab files

dan_ginovker likes this.
  18. novaVision

novaVision

Just met this issue on Unity 2021.3, nothing were fixed

dan_ginovker likes this.
  19. BrainyEntertainmentCooperation

BrainyEntertainmentCooperation

I face the same situation as cannot upload on google console
    Android app bundle was not signed?
    What can I do too fix this?

20. COKEAYO

COKEAYO

no bro its not solve

21. emilienperico

emilienperico

I'm still having that issue with Unity 2022.2.9.
    Do we have any update on this?

It makes sense to want a development build for the internal testing track. This is pretty restrictive at the moment.
    Thanks.

AldeRoberge, dlorddd and dan_ginovker like this.
  22. AldeRoberge

AldeRoberge

Same issue with Unity 2022.3.10f1

23. Zarkend

Zarkend

EDIT: I've built again and somehow worked (I did nothing I swear)

Same problem (I think) with 2023.1.13f1.

I build an APK and upload it to the google play console => Works
    I build an AAB => "Your Android App Bundle is signed with the wrong key"

I use exactly the same methods to compile both modes (setting keystore passwords + alias etc..)

We are just migrating from APK to AAB and using the same keystore for both.

Also is worth noticing that Unity keystore manager doesn't accept the keystore password (it's correct since we have checked with keystore explorer)

Any idea on what to do?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  24. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

same problem here

25. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

Same problem here... anybody was able to solve it?

26. Thordath

Thordath

Same problem too. Unity Cloud Build did not sign in the production builds with the keys, and I can't deploy them to the Google Play Store.