Search Unity

Bug the 8-year-old terrain undo bug.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by zh99998, Jun 28, 2022.

1. zh99998

zh99998

continue from https://forum.unity.com/threads/undo-error-when-working-with-9-terrain-textures.287751

1. create a Terrain
    2. set control texture resolution to 4096
    3. create more than 8 layer
    4. draw.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Failed to create Object Undo, because the action is too large. Clearing undo buffer
    2. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    undo broken, setDirty broken, save broken. and one exception log for each action is very annoying.

this bug is reported since 2014 and never get an official reply.
    I think maybe I live in an end world no unity terrain developer survive, until I find another terrain bug are responsed.
    maybe there is some live developer, only because hey never goto general supoort forum, or that thread is not marked as bug then no one notice it. so I make another post.

this is a very basic bug and make high resolution terrain not editable.
    please come on and have a look. @wyattt_ (sorry to bother you)

now 2022 everyone have bigger memory than 2014, simply make undo buffer bigger will solve this immediately.
    or if this can't make bigger, another work around is ignore it don't throw exception. undo still not work but others do.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  2. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Hey! No worries. Ya this is a known limitation of the Editor where the max size for the Undo stack can be immediately exceeded when modifying any large Texture data related to Terrain. This limitation exists for everything else in the Editor unfortunately, we just encounter it sooner since we are modifying larger amounts of texture data. I'll check with the team if anyone knows about the possibility of increasing the Undo buffer size.