Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2008 Unity Awards

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jul 15, 2008.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

2008 Unity Awards
    http://unity3d.com/contest/

Buckle your seat belts, strap on your thinking caps, warm up your coding fingers and oil your artist elbows. The 2008 Unity Awards is open and accepting entries. Building on the phenomenal success of last year's Top DOG competition, the inaugural year for the Unity Awards is bigger, badder and better than ever.

Work with friends or go solo. Make a game, any game. Standalone, web player, dashboard widget, it doesn't matter. Build something great to win something great.

Categories and Prizes
    We'll be awarding a unique prize to the winners of each of the following categories:

* Best Overall Game (€2000)
    * Forum Favorite (€1000)
    * Best Gameplay (prize to be announced)
    * Best Visual Design (prize to be announced)

Enter Today
    Contest entry is now open! You can find more information about the contest, including requirements, deadlines and entry instructions by visiting the 2008 Unity Awards page (http://unity3d.com/contest/). Last year's Top DOG finalists had their games published on Shockwave.com, what will happen to this year's winners?

We cannot wait to see what you folks come up with this year!

Note: make sure to read the other announcement thread, Unite 2008, as the two events are closely related!

2. drJones

drJones

can already in progress games apply or should it be something new?

i think August 1, 2008 should be noted under the important dates header as well:

Teams that fail to submit an Entry Application before 11:59pm on August 1st, 2008 will be disqualified.

; )

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You can submit a game that's already in development or something that you start anew right now. And point taken about the important dates bit, I'll see about updating the page.

4. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Cool!

I would recommend adding a time zone to your cutoff dates to avoid some headaches near the deadlines. :)

Cheers,
    -Jon

5. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Hmph, those should have been in there from the get go. Being as they're now missing you can count on them getting added to the page. Thanks for the heads up.

6. dock

dock

Wow, very exciting!

I'm encouraged to try to get something together. It's a great incentive to get myself working properly on Unity!

7. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

I know for sure I'm entering this year!

8. yangmeng

yangmeng

Exciting! How about adding Unity Pro to the prizes for the four game categories - or even Unity iPhone license?

9. yangmeng

yangmeng

I'd like to add a couple of questions:
    Can the entry be released to the public during the contest time period?
    Can we enter with more than one entry?
    Thanks

10. Samantha

Samantha

Yes! From our perspective, the earlier you share your game with the forum, the more feedback you'll get and the more improvements you can make.

You certainly can!

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We reserve the right to add more prizes later on, specifically for the other two categories to start (those without explicitly listed cash prizes) so stay tuned. :)

12. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

I think that I'll participate with my fps! :)

13. rawrman2381238

rawrman2381238

Can we use a commercial project? and sell it after the contest?
    of course we will provide a free version for the contest
    is this allowed?

14. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Absolutely, we certainly hope that the winners of this contest become commercial successes.

15. rawrman2381238

rawrman2381238

awesome!
    do the projects have to be open source?
    also can we drop out if we don't get enough done by the deadline?

16. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

No, you don't have to share out the Project folder for your entry to the public, just the finished game.

If you drop out of the contest before the deadline your Unity license will be revoked for a period of 6 months. This is legally set in place so we can distance ourselves from people who make embarrassing content with our product.

Yes, of course you can drop out :wink:

Ethan

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's a relief...I heard a rumor that the UT crew would pay you a visit, and chain you to your computer, and then beat you about the head and shoulders, until you finished your game. :eek:

--Eric

18. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I already have a flight booked to your home town... you're first on my beatdown list :wink:

Are you going to make it to Unite this year Eric? It would be cool if you could come.

Ethan

19. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Wait a minute, I called dibs on that one! :D

20. Alec

Alec

crap! I have to get unity fast! think Alec, think.....

21. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Possibly...it's been quite some time since I was in Copenhagen last. The chances are higher if I win, so get that vote rigged. ;)

--Eric

22. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

:eek:
    It will be rigged under maya :D

Ray

23. Jessy

Jessy

Hahahahahahahahah! Nice one.

Ugg. That was pretty awful. :? Around this thread, if the Unity Technologies heavies don't get you, the drunken puns certainly will. 8)

I think it will be another year before I can get to Unite, but I'm looking forward to more excellent videos. Do we get those again?

24. jeremyace

jeremyace

You reserve the right to ADD more prizes?!

How dare you guys pull such a dirty move as giving away MORE prizes?

I am hurt and disillusioned now... I need to go curl up in the corner for the night.

Sounds exciting, good luck to all who enter!

-Jeremy

25. jashan

jashan

The truth is: This is not a rumor. To avoid making their hands dirty in the process, they've invented Unity. It's such a cool engine that you simply can't get off your computer until you got your stuff finished.

Ooops, I uncovered The Secret...

:eek: :arrow:

... gotta run!

26. OXYGEN

OXYGEN

a copy of unity pro would be great bundle for the winners/runners up is there a runner up prize? hope so as my project will be good but not that good methinks and got my eye on 2nd or third place :eek:

27. imparare

imparare

I am less than 4 weeks into Unity so clearly can't compete with the guys who will enter this but I would have hoped for a Novice category where maybe you have a prize for the people who have been using Unity for less than 3 or 6 months or whatever?

Newcomers should be encouraged thru these kind of things.

Unless of course I missed it and you do have this category already?

thanks

28. Jessy

Jessy

How could you possibly prove that?

I was working with a friend who had Unity, several months before I started with the Unity trial myself. And when I actually got into it, that was several more months after I first downloaded the trial (I got sidetracked originally).

Also, do people who don't have to go to work or school get penalized, (say time used = x3 vs. someone who has those obligations)?

29. imparare

imparare

honesty maybe ?

30. Scrat

Scrat

You should compete this year, maybe you won't win but at least you'll earn a great experience in making a game and in a year you'll have all your chances to make an outstanding game that will blow away all the other games.

But hey, maybe you'll win this year too, if you don't try, you can't know.

Good luck :p

31. imparare

imparare

A cube moving around poorly made terrain is not going to win a great deal.

I fully appreciate and understand the points that Jessy makes.

32. dock

dock

If you made something like Polarium in Unity you'd definitely be in with a good chance, and that wouldn't require much in the way of coding or artwork proficiency. A slickly put together version of something simple would stand as much of a chance as a glitchy version of something complex.

I've barely scratched the surface of learning Unity, but I'm still planning to give this contest my all and submit something. Even if I don't win it's a good incentive for me to get something together, and there are categories such as gameplay and visual design which give people a much better chance.

In short, don't be down on yourself - give it your all! :3

33. Jessy

Jessy

I began with Unity programming this time last year, and although I didn't win, I did have a game ready for the Top DOG contest (with the help of my artist girlfriend). It was a great experience pushing myself to figure out how to get it done. I think you could really do a good job, especially if you take advantage of these forums. I'll probably be too busy with my own submission to help you out much for the next couple of months, but I bet that's not true of everybody.

34. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

I thank god that UT heavies are busy..
    drunken puns like me won't budge, we don't like our drink getting spilled :D
    Ray

35. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

Here is a question that more than me can use:

Is there a recommended place to stay for people who wants to go from far away ?

Any support or recommendations for the long trip ??

:D

.org

36. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

First off, I'd like to ask that folks take their Unite-specific questions to the Unite announcement thread, that way information doesn't get shared here in the "wrong" location. But with that I'll of course answer all your existing questions here...

Yes, we plan on recording the sessions once again and will then post the videos and preso materials to our website following the conference.

Yeah, we're cheeky like that. :)

As I already stated, we reserve the right to add more prizes so we'll make those sorts of decisions as we go along.

I'm sorry but when it comes to contests with prizes (like cash), entry/category criteria should in general be verifiable and so the ability to use blind trust just doesn't always cut it. I suppose I should mention that along with reserving the right to add prizes, we also reserve the right to add categories. That way if we see notable submissions from folks (from a one-man shop, or from a particularly young entrant, or ???) we can see about rewarding their efforts in some way. But for now, assume that the categories listed are the targets to aim for and get to it! :)

We will be posting travel suggestions, including some hotels and whatnot, just like we did last year so stay tuned for that (some time next week is what you should expect).

37. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

Thank you 8)

.org

38. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

I vote for the one man shop award even though it is not verifiable, but I am baised. :)

Now trying to clear my schedule to work on a game. As one man shop the feed back from having a game talked about in the forums will help alot.

39. Andy

Andy

When can we see, play, and vote on all the entries?

40. Samantha

Samantha

Soon! There's a handful of tasks to finish up before the games get posted, but you can expect this to happen before Unite.

41. Andy

Andy

Thanks

42. ratamorph

ratamorph

So, the awards have passed and I have no idea who won, what were the finalists, etc. I also don't see anyone asking about this, so am I the only one that missed this info? when can we expect to know?

I also posted this in the Unite topic, just wasn't sure where to ask, so feel free to remove the duplicate.

43. MatthewW

MatthewW

44. yangmeng

yangmeng

Looks good! Congratulations to all of the winners. I was glad to see the Yoggy Award on there - Good job young'uns!

45. ratamorph

ratamorph

Thanks Matt, I'm glad to hear we atleat got a 20% discount, second unity licence here we go!

46. UVRadiation

UVRadiation

Congrats winners!
    Great work!

47. maulongoni

maulongoni

Congratulations for all winners, very nice work.

48. hk1973

hk1973

I believe RastaMonkey only lost marginally!! The graphics, creativity, and the gameplay is so amazing!!! I wish to play it on my iphone too.

49. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Heh - I missed the Yoggy award by a couple months. I was under 18 when I started work on Mars Explorer... :)

What about the discount? I purchased iPhone standard the day it came out, and didn't hear anything about a discount.

I can hardly wait for some some official updates on this site.

And yes - congrats to the winners!
    Was the version of Feist that won the same feist_beta with unity player 2.1.0f5.(c) that I have downloaded? Honestly, it was one of the most bugridden and least polished of the games that I tested :)

50. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Eh? Aside from the rather basic front-end, the polish was perfect, and personally I didn't encounter any bugs.

--Eric