Search Unity

Feedback Thanks you guys, I'm releasing my game finally after 6 years of development...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by astracat111, Jun 14, 2022.

1. astracat111

astracat111

I'm not here to advertise, I understand the rules, and I don't want to bother anyone with that.

I wanted to thank anyone who helped me out over the 4 or 5 years of time I've spent developing my video game. I started when Unity was transitioning from Unity 5 to Unity 2017. Almost all of my 650+ posts have come asking questions in the C# board, and I should honestly feel more guilty for not contributing more or helping out more people, though the experts would usually beat me to posts anyway. All of those experts and many others have helped out with solving like 99% of every red light I ran into in development.

A while back, I had posted a long wall of text about 'scope phobia' so to speak here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/i-h...han-a-year-of-developing.518539/#post-4315162

And I realize rightly so to be honest, I've had to look at whatever corners I could cut to get this first full game finished....but I can now finally say I did it, it's a fully finished game and coming out on Steam next month, the final build is uploaded and I'm ready. I'm sure it won't get much attention for a while, but I'm not really a marketing or advertising kind of guy anyway, I've just enjoyed working with Unity immensely to be honest.

While I went through ups and downs, and I'm sure many other people have before here as well, like many here I hope, I didn't turn down the mountain, and while there were so many faster ways to do things, to be honest it may sound corny but the things I've learned, like making another breakthrough, it gave me as much excitement as some of the best experiences I've had in my entire life. I was giddily jumping for joy many times when I realized I can create a video game that's like Xenogears in Unity as a single developer. I just watched a philosophy video on Youtube about this...cheap intellectual thrills are abundant, and for me have been the easiest most consistent enjoyments of my life.

In the beginning, I went from creating 3d boxes moving around on planes, then to creating simple paper cutout pixel-art characters running around in 3d spaces, to not knowing a lick of C#, to basically re-creating rpg maker, creating a toolkit with a full eventing system and interpreter based scripting language with a text box engine, basic screen fx, turn-based atb battle system, etc, etc..... that can create now story-heavy 90s JRPG inspired turn-based Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger/Xenogears-like big games I've always wanted to make. I feel at 33 years old my life is just at the very start, that a lot more is possible in less time now moving forward.

Thanks to everyone on these forums and the Unity development team, I feel I have a great shot at fulfilling my dreams of being a game developer full time moving forward (if inflation doesn't get to it first).

jwinn, Ryiah, BrandyStarbrite and 8 others like this.
  2. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Hey, congratulations! That's a huge mountain you've just climbed! :D

What's the name of the game and the steam link?
    You said you are launching in a month, have you built a community before launch date?
    Despite your other posts saying you don't want to self advertise, you will need every little support you can get!
    So don't be shy and post up about your game!

We can give you pre-launch feedbacks, and many other things good and/or bad that you will never see by yourself without the help of others.

NotaNaN, Antypodish and angrypenguin like this.
  3. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

When I get back home I‘ll print out your post, stick it to the wall, and read it again whenever I hit some roadblock. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and good luck with your game(s). :)

astracat111 and Gekigengar like this.
  4. frosted

frosted

You gotta at least drop a name if not a link to the steam page.

Good luck with the release!

astracat111 and CodeSmile like this.
  5. astracat111

astracat111

Thanks again guys. The name is Astralojia: Season 1, sorry didn't want to post too much here on that, there's a demo for steam fest.

Gekigengar and Antypodish like this.
  6. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Nice!

astracat111 likes this.