Search Unity

Thanks Unity - again!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheCasual, Feb 14, 2012.

1. TheCasual

TheCasual

Just a thanks to Unity , for once again, releasing a completely free kick ass engine for us general practice casuals, without a budget to play with.

Cmon people , give yer thanks!

2. Strongholdbk

Strongholdbk

Seconded

3. rik338

rik338

Thank you Unity!

4. Meltdown

Meltdown

Ehh why not.

Thanks Unity :D

5. Morning

Morning

Agree. Unity is the best thing that happened to indie game dev.

6. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Thank you UT!

7. Ebkac

Ebkac

Ditto!

8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Here here!

9. stereosound

stereosound

Every time I think it's great, it just keeps getting better.

Unity, let me take you out for a beer sometime.

10. AprendaGames

AprendaGames

Woohoo. Go Unity!

11. drewradley

drewradley

Sorry, but I have no thanks to give them. How dare they release such an addictive product?! I have wasted hours of my TV watching and/or video game playing time on Unity. Now my GF wants to get involved and start making some interactive children books so it's forcing me to spend more quality time with her!

Wait a minute, those are all good things.

12. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Awesome f***ing work Unity! Also, will be twittered and facebooked too. :)

13. nomnomnomplant

nomnomnomplant

Thank you Unity!

14. WedgeBob

WedgeBob

Fur mein freunde zu Unity...Danke!

15. TehWut

TehWut

If they actually cared they would give us free pathfinding and dynamic shadows ...

Thank you UT, you guys are great!

16. TheCasual

TheCasual

Well , although it would be great to have these things, facts is, in a world where everyone wants money, for anyone to *give* something for free is a blessing. :p

17. Heu

Heu

I love you Unity :)

18. drewradley

drewradley

I'd settle for modular upgrade so I can add the things I want to use without spending $1500 at once.

19. runner

runner

You don't buy half a car, half a television, half a sound system or even half a operating system so do what most people do and take out a loan. Maybe Unity could see it in their hearts to provide financing. "Just a thought"..

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm pretty sure unity would never be stupid enough to provide financing, which is a huge, huge risk for any company.

Your banks can folks. Dream the unity dream.

21. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

But if they really cared they would write my mega-MMORPGFPS for me and agree to just take a 5% royalty cut based on some sort of fuzzy idea I have. :)

22. runner

runner

They could pull the license if you are delinquent in payments and no money back on loans to lower costs on defaulting,, Yeah, It would be a extra burden plus extra staff to support this though they are not in anyway acting as a creditor in a normal financial institution. You would instead get Pro license and whatever else making minimal payments until either payed in full or opted out or defaulted. No massive Unity code splitting just some extra support structure.

Perhaps a down payment of $500. as Manageable risk To get started - then monthly payments of between 50 - 100

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  23. Jaimi

Jaimi

Just get a credit card, that's what they're for. Anyone who is old enough and has a job can get one. And if you're not old enough, or don't have a job, no one will finance you anyway.

24. drewradley

drewradley

I always buy a cheap car and get upgrades such as better radio.
    You can buy TVs that don't have built in DVD players and upgrade your tv with one later.
    My sound system is very modular and bought in stages. In fact, the best "sound systems" are modular.
    You can most assuredly buy a lessor OS and upgrade it later.
    No thanks! I have never had a credit card or gotten a loan for anything besides my student loan and mortgage. Pay out of pocket for everything else and am proud to be one of the few who is not over my head in debt.

25. runner

runner

Yes i understand the necessity of prudence of financial institutions despite the lack of integrity on they're part speaking of recent historical concerns. But in no way was i implying using financial credit to purchase unity. See below.

26. npsf3000

npsf3000

Financing is silly - But I've always wondered why they don't offer a monthly subscription. More money for them, less upfront costs for the Indy.

Win Win.

Nevertheless, Thanks U3D :)

27. junjunliu

junjunliu

I am a chinese,Iam very glad to meet you!

28. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

Honestly i'll admit unity has come a long way since 2.4 but it still caters to android and iOS development more than PC game and Mac development..

Don't get me wrong the 3.5 release is a great release, but they added yet another platform for people to publish too(Flash). That is very cool and all but it means yet another area that they need to focus on. Like i said previously it also still caters to android and iOS which is good if that is your target platform. And many people like that they offer a free version but its useless if you wanna make a top notch AAA mobile game. It really doesn't help you make a good quality PC/MAC game. I hope Unity 4 changes this, until then unity is a toy I will continue to play with...

Please dont bash me mentioning the games Unity has helped developers make I know its a good engine, just not at my standards quite yet....

As a closing statement I will say

Thank you Unity

29. echtolion

echtolion

I've used a lot of engines working for random projects, and when I'm asked which engine I "think" we should use, I always answer Unity3D.

It's definitely my favorite, thanks Unity. :)

30. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I strongly doubt that you can really take full advantage of the capabilities Unity already has; it's more than enough to make good PC/Mac games. If you were in charge of a 100-person team spending $50 million it make make a little more sense to complain, but 3.5 was largely about adding PC/Mac features anyway (such as the HDR stuff, multithreaded rendering, etc.). Flash publishing isn't related to 3.5; it's a separate thing, and the people working on it don't really take anything away from the rest of the team. What exactly do you want to do that Unity is preventing you from doing in its current form?

--Eric

31. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks you unity for opening the qorld of game developing to me, thanks for aloing me to learn to program and thanks for the life changing experiance that learning this amazing program has given me.

Having path finding free would be nice but to be honnest unity is the best free engine by far so to whine is just rude.

I doubt you even have used unity to its limits and to be honnest i doubt most places that dont buy the source do and those that do buy the source can do anything so it dosent matter.

32. Meltdown

Meltdown

No, she's mine :D

33. c-Row

c-Row

Thanks alot!

Uhm... what?! :D

34. Steffan-Poulsen

Steffan-Poulsen

Thank you Unity, for helping to democratize game-development. And for giving me the ability to edit multiple assets at once, in the inspector :)

35. mikesgames

mikesgames

Muchas Gracias UT :D

36. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

your right I have not, but there are a few things I want that I have to buy a 3rd party extension for or make it myself(which is the better option)

but I plan to make a free roam adventure or RPG(Not exactly) game so we will see what limits unity may have...

oh well don't mind me, i think im just nit picking...

37. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

We thank you unity! ... Sure it's not as good as actually buying pro but it's a start! lawl!

Love,

Free unity users!

38. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Ever since I've started learning game dev, it has been a blessing to have a great level of creativity, I thank you Unity for a great engine

39. kerters

kerters

With mastery of a supported programming language and Unity, you are powerful like Neo from Matrix, let you do everything you want!!!
    Unity, thank you very much!
    - Neo

40. jashan

jashan

Thank you for the awesomeness that 3.5 is ... and thank you for having Unite 2012 in Amsterdam, in August (where I have time to join the party). Today is a day of awesomeness :)

41. andorov

andorov

I decided to thank with my wallet; picked up my own personal license last night. (I had been using Indie / bumming a copy off work for some of my testing)

Hoping to submit something to Kongregate pretty soon.

$1500 well spent, imo :)