Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks for unity3d on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Valher, May 1, 2020.

1. Valher

Valher

Just wanted to give a BIG thanks to unity3d team(and everyone working there)
    Had a problem with unity 3d on windows 10(poor little laptop running for its life xD)that wouldnt let me start my project. Tried every fix i could find(im beginner sologamedev) but couldnt get it to work(unity 19.3.4f) so i began "Operation: escape from windows" booted my other pc with ubuntu 18.04(was surprised how easily everything worked out)
    I was a little worried because unity3d on linux doesnt have 19.3.4f (so i went with closest one on linux, unity 19.3.12f1)
    Project transfer was very fast and there was 0 problems/errors. (Downloaded hub created new project and then drag everything from the current(one im working on)project into that new project folder)Everything works like i would like it to and im just happy that it didnt take more than few hours (including linux boot and copy project (800mb) to usb)to get back to working(im completely new to linux OS's and have been using unity for about 2months.)

I can highly recommend Unity3d 19.3.12f1 on ubuntu 18.04(basic settings) to everyone, even if you're not familiar with Ubuntu.

With thanks and best regards.
    -Valher

Tigersong, turbanov and sfjohansson like this.
  2. turbanov

turbanov

Thank you very much indeed!

Valher likes this.
  3. mstarr

mstarr

Here here!

Valher likes this.
  4. Tigersong

Tigersong

It has its problems, but it's better than Windows. ;) I also have an old laptop that struggled to run Unity; now I'm on Mint 19.3 and hardly see any lag.

Valher likes this.
  5. NiirB

NiirB

I've actually found it to be a bit laggier than on Windows. I am using POP 20.04 tho so I guess there could be an issue there.

Valher likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

There are bugs that put me on edge but I'm also grateful about Unity Technologies making their Unity (not Unity 3D) editor available to Linux users. :)