Search Unity

Feedback Thanks and thoughts on Unity Learn update

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Allan-MacDonald, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Allan-MacDonald

Allan-MacDonald

Firstly, if anyone else has thoughts on these updates, please share below as to help compile in one place. I did a quick skim through this portion of the forum and didn't see anything like this.

I wanted to write this up for Unity because I have had the thought a few times how much I appreciate the learning platform, and the evident fact that Unity is putting resources into developing it. It's great timing, and it's not gone unnoticed. I'm finding great comfort in it as a tool to weather the months past and to come. Knowing that I could come out the other end of all this stronger if I just put my head down and work now is a real help, and I thank you all for developing it and having the foresight to act. Now, on to the review.

The good!

- New "my learning dashboard" -- This is really wonderful. I feel like this is great timing on the part of Unity to amp up the support for home based learning.

-Pathways -- This gives us an indication as to how much exp is needed to become a junior/intermediate/senior level programmer. If this is accurate, and Unity has vetted the content, and ranked it's XP appropriately, then this is really a powerful learning platform, and for me, I find REALLY empowering and encouraging to learn as the track to become proficient and self reliant is presented by a trusted creditor.

-Accreditation / Certification -- I really hope Unity peruses this track more. If Unity presents a high quality education service, at a low cost, but still reputable, it could really lower the entry to the industry. This is the definition of "equal opportunity", and undercuts predatory private education models in a serious way. I hope this can extend into all aspects of game development, including traditional arts and pure maths and physics.

-Badges - This is a good idea. Any sort of certification that we can include in our profession CV and social platforms to showcase our current skillset in Unity is welcomed. I haven't seen the LinkedIn integration, but if it can be presented these well somehow, I would definitely put time into developing this. Maybe having more decorated icons for longer certifications.

-Submissions - This is a nice idea to create community feeling and shared help.

Places I can see to improve/Suggestions

-Earlier each project had a "% completed" for each project, which you could monitor after completing single videos and whole sections. I miss this, and do appreciate the +XP, but knowing the overall % of completion is really encouraging. It feels like macro feedback while the XP is micro feedback. Having both would be best.

-Display % complete on all pathways. Even what you haven't started. The idea here might help people to start them, especially larger ones. How I see this working is that many of the courses are built out of the same smaller blocks, so if there's overlap, it can easily be represented. Personally, scrolling through a bunch of courses and seeing 5% here, and 34% there would be pretty cool, and encouraging.

----------------------
    I'll expand on this if I come across anything else, or something comes to mind.
    In the meantime, thank you for the hard work and Happy Holidays.