Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks again for the Linux Editor!

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by NathanWarden, Aug 17, 2018.

1. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hey Levi, Na'Tosha, and anyone else involved (PJayB?).

It's been a while, but just wanted to say thank you all so much again for the Linux Editor!

I've been using it for client projects, and I'm also very comfortable using at the game studio I'm working at now! One of the guys I work with came up to my machine a couple of weeks ago, shocked, and asked, "Is that Ubuntu?".

I almost take it for granted because I can't even remember now the last time I couldn't use it. It's so stable now. Great job!!!

2. kfresh

kfresh

I love this post! At least I know I'm not the only one who goes out of my way to give praise to commercial developers who support Linux. A lot of people think Linux users expect everything for free, and while some do, most professionals on the platform just want high-quality, well-supported software. Personally, I think being libre is more important than gratis, however, I will not say no to proprietary, commercial software, especially if it helps me deliver results.

To everyone reading this, I implore you, send a thank you note to your favorite developers releasing commercial software for Linux.

NathanWarden and kodenkm like this.
  3. mageaster

mageaster

Hey, what about Tak?

NathanWarden likes this.
  4. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Agreed, I like libre software, but if my profession requires commercial software I love to be able to use it on Linux instead of having to use it on Windows.

Tak is Levi :)

5. mageaster

mageaster

Ah, OK, I didn't know.

NathanWarden likes this.
  6. hunabku94

hunabku94

Thanks for the Linux Editor and now Hub !

FROS7 and NathanWarden like this.
  7. Furai

Furai

Yeah, thanks to all the developers that support Linux! :)

8. ArchX

ArchX

+1
    Thanks for the Editor and Hub, it was the last piece keeping me with Windows... :)

9. barrel-riderr

barrel-riderr

I’m excited to try this out! I absolutely hate developing anything in Windows but Macs are so underpowered these days. Thank you so much for supporting linux!

NathanWarden likes this.
  10. Joseph-Ferano

Joseph-Ferano

Yeah, I really need to say thank you as well. I absolutely hated developing on Mac and Windows. I tried both for a while and trying to get them to do what I want was always a pain. On Linux I use i3 and I'm so happy. Thanks for this, it really helps keep my sanity while developing.

11. qq272508839

qq272508839

12. senkal_

senkal_

If this is any proof of gratitude (apart from the money I paid for license :)) then I can say thank you as well.
    I mostly work in Linux and some Mac/Win, so that really allows me to work on the system I want.

PixelJ and FROS7 like this.