Search Unity

Thanking the devs of Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by easytooner101, Apr 26, 2019.

1. easytooner101

easytooner101

Thank you very much for your hard work creating such a powerful and flexible engine!
    You guys should be extremely proud of yourselves!
    Thank you also to the community who are always around to help!

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I agree.

It is tiring reading the seemingly endless complaints and attacks, where everyone seems to think their obscure issue which slipped through testing is somehow the end of the world and means Unity devs just don't care. I think the majority of Unity users feel far more like the OP than not.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Just look at Joe's post count.
    upload_2019-4-27_3-27-14.png
    Providing most of post are not complaigns, Unity mus be doing something right ;)
    But yes, is nice to read something different for a change, like OP.

4. easytooner101

easytooner101

I just have NEVER done anything like this stuff before, thinking about it was scary. Then I actually joined the community and the amount of tutorials and classes etc available for free is ASTOUNDING. One guy even has an 8 hour tutorial freely available! Can you believe that!? 8 HOURS of effort without asking for anything in return! In life there are so many people that are out to get you but joining this community has really shown me how many people are here to help each other, people like this are the reason humanity has come so far.

Antypodish likes this.
  5. easytooner101

easytooner101

Don't even get me started on the fact Unity free is the same as pro, allowing ANYONE to follow their dreams of becoming a dev with no real risks in the learning stage (aswell as all the support).

6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

The world is not black or white.

wccrawford likes this.
  7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Over all I'm happy with Unity, but QA is not always the best. Could be that im coloured from the enterprise world were continues integration etc are the norm.

Then there are the unnecessary breaking changes, like the change from 2017 to 2018 were you no longer can select exe filename. Early on in 2018 they used the folder name to later settle for the product name. A huge breaking change for us with released game on Steam.

CarterG81 likes this.
  8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Can you please keep such discussion for other topics? We know no software is ideal. But we want at least one topic to be positive. Thank you.

angrypenguin and Socrates like this.
  9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Not my intention to be negative, I'm very grateful for the engine

CarterG81 likes this.
  10. Billy4184

Billy4184

What's with the implication that there's some sort of Unity bashing going on?

Unity deserve credit for a great engine. But let's not generate some kind of victim mentality. When you have an issue, don't hesitate to bring it up in a discussion-friendly way.

There's nothing wrong with being charitable if that's what you want, but I'd rather spend good money so that people can feed themselves while providing me with high-quality tutorials and learning materials.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  11. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Yea amazing work , I mean a whole new render in this short amount of time not to mention the countless other updates.

CarterG81 likes this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think its true when they say the angriest minority is the most vocal.

Joe-Censored and Ryiah like this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not the enthusiastic type, I'm too old for that, about anything, so I would not write something like what @easytooner101 wrote, but, I fully agree with what you wrote here. :)

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

"The older you get the less you want to deal with conflict and drama"

Dunno if its hormones of the youth or something else but I've found this to be so true.

RoughSpaghetti3211 likes this.
  15. easytooner101

easytooner101

Honestly, I hate drama too, I just didn't realise this was an apparent hot topic of the Unity community. My consensus was if they didn't like it they'd use something else.

16. CarterG81

CarterG81

You need to remember the context of a lot of discussion on forums in general.

When people are using a product and not having any issues, they are busy working in Unity and having a fine time.

When people have trouble, problems, or frustrations, they come to the forums to seek help, vent frustration, and figure things out.

When people read new update news, news of future features or deprecation, or update Unity and run into a problem to discover trouble or threat of future trouble? They come to the forum to discuss, ask questions, or vent to push UT away from repeating what they dislike.

When things are good, people are busy working silently. When things are bad, they vent.

I for one have used Unity for nearly 10 years. I have seen the good and the bad. The past few years have been great for Unity. The new CEO is actually doing way better than the one prior who IMO never seemed very good. It was around that transition that Unity began fixing bugs like crazy, even 5 year old major bugs, adding new major systems like new UI, finally focusing on 2D features they should have had from Day 1, etc.

However I have no respect for UT. So yes, I never have good things to say on forums. In actuality I have plenty good to say. I refer others to Unity constantly. I tell them how bad the engine but also why you still want to use it for all the good. Unity is my choice for many reasons.

When Godot seemed attractive and began to become this big thing, I got excited. Finally I can leave Unity & never touch UT's software again right? Nope. That is overrated IMO, and 9 years of Unity means Unity is pretty much my only choice. That got me to appreciate Unity a lot more. And I dont post as much just because I dont have as many frustrations and have dropped all expectations.

When I found that Unity is a lot better than Godot and there really isnt a reason to not use Unity, especially for me, I realized Unity is the best engine out there. At least for me. The improvements the past few years from Unity 4.0 to 5.0+ are fantastic and actually SOLVED a lot of my biggest issues with Unity. If they'd just kill off UNET permanently, I'd probably be totally appeased. I hate that pile of flaming garbage.

Anyway me realizing Godot is NOT the better option even for 2D games made me appreciate Unity alot more, be a lot more grateful, and appreciate it a lot more. Even got me to give some respect to UT when before I had none (lost it all so many times it was negative). Plus I talked with the Godot devs and they're not exactly the brightest people ever either so... I was probably just too hard on UT for red tape reasons.

TBH besides UNETs existence, I dont even think I have complaints anymore that arent being addressed already (addressables seem like a good fix for assetbundle difficulties).

That is high praise. The best thing a company can do after losing all respect from someone is literally fix every issue and eventually turn critics into completely satisfied fanboys.

Every year that passes, I find myself having less to complain about, far more to praise, and a lot more references given to new gamedevs to try Unity over anything else.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  17. CarterG81

CarterG81

Let's not be disingenuous. Unity isnt open source and isnt at all part of that movement. In that area Godot utterly destroys Unity and it cant compete.

I also am very skeptical of any open source claims of Unity components. People would always disingenuously claim that UNET was open source, when it was absolutely not. The HLAPI is, but the LLAPI isnt and that closed llapi was the part you wanted open. Especially in the beginning when unet was broken garbage.

Unity requires paid source and is otherwise closed. That is the anti-thesis of FOSS.

In fact Unity's biggest flaw right now is probably its closed source. Then again if they ever opened up the source I get the feeling so many people would scream in terror that it would be a mistake.

FOSS is pretty huge deal, especially in a gaming industry where everyone is so stingy and greedy. His point is right - with Unity all we can do is complain and HOPE they listen even though they dont care about us (they care about their product and financial success).

That is probably the single biggest reason for complaints. It is the only thing Unity users can do because they cant fix things themselves.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  18. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

That post took a total 180 halfway through, I totally thought you were going on a rant slamming unity but turns out its actually some very level-headed analysis! :)

I feel the same actually, I used to bash unity a lot on here mostly because you come here when there are issues, and yet once I started to move to unreal and godot and marmalade, I realised quite quickly that the grass is definetely not greener on the other side, rather its just different grass altogether which does not mean faster or easier to use, just more learning from scratch again!

Now that I have sampled the other offerings a good few times, I find myself being much more understanding with unity in general and because of that I now have a happier time using the engine! I no longer tell myself "I bet thats easier in unreal / godot / etc" because I know for a fact now that it is not.

I think the main problem with the forums is that most people, as you say, come here when there are problems so a lot of people on here may appear negative when in person they may be saying amazingly positive things about unity.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    CarterG81 likes this.
  19. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Yeah I must say (as a few people here know) I decided to give Unity a try again a couple of months ago and this time around the experience was so much better.

I think part of that is due to having spent many months doing game dev in Construct 3 using a visual programming system (gasp! I know who would expect that from me) and working with that game engine's systems made a lot of Unity stuff "click" for me.

Part of it is building on what I had managed to learn during my first years using it (and pretty much hating it lol).

Part of it is because it seems more stable or something now. Not quite sure exactly but it has a better feel to it for some reason. I think less bugs is a big part of it.

So yeah... okay... THANK YOU... it's not too bad at all! :)

CarterG81 and neoshaman like this.
  20. CarterG81

CarterG81

Nice to see you're still around!

GarBenjamin likes this.
  21. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Likewise.