Search Unity

Thankful for all the positive changes to the Unity Engine as of late.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IllTemperedTunas, Nov 25, 2021.

1. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

I gotta say, I've been pretty impressed by all the changes for Unity the past several months, they've really been adding up.

The small improvements here and there to UI, the streamlining and cleanup of various rendering features and packages among a slew of other tiny things. Working in Unity has really been getting better and better and you really get the impression the internal pipelines are well sorted and sturdy at this point with a coherent vision moving forward. Excited for future updates.

I know we bitch and moan about a lot of things in these parts, but I opened Unity just now and thought to myself, "Hey, this thing HAS been getting a lot better lately." It may not be big flashy top end graphic stuff, but the sheer volume of features for so many platforms you guys have improved is really damned impressive.

That's all!

2. Zephus

Zephus

I have to agree. I was very harsh on Unity in the last few years and even gave Unreal Engine a try, which I never thought I would need to do. But 2021.2 has really made me leave that behind. Suddenly multiple big features like the 2D Renderer, that just felt unfinished and not production ready before, seem like polished products I can actually use now. The new Scene View tools are also great, and I hope they continue implementing this 'move anything anywhere and customize everything' approach to the rest of the engine.

If Unity continues to make so many QoL changes while also working on new features, like they did for 2021.2, I think they're finally on the right path again.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Agreed.

With the UI Toolkit and styles you can practically build your own custom editor. Add in the SRP and you're as close as you can get to having your own custom engine without writing a line of C++.

4. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

I only come to these forums to bitch.... ...Sometimes I think about making a thread like this. I have been impressed with every time I update Unity version, I have very few, if any issues. Overall, Unity has been very stable and good for the four years I have been using it.

Also, every time I think Unity has a limitation, I find out it doesn't... ...it just has a feature I had not figured out yet. So far.

5. andyz

andyz

Still not sure on the UI side which way to go for a new project - UI Toolkit still says in-preview for runtime use and it may be a steep learning curve from uGUI? Things are in preview for too long and the big change in UI systems could be an issue for some

6. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

OH, you just ruined my good mood. I hate uGUI with a passion, yet Ive spent so much time on it, no way I can switch now.

7. Voronoi

Voronoi

If you have experience with HTML/CSS workflows, I would say go for the UI Toolkit. It's burned me in the past, but uGUI has just too many things to hook up in the editor, it's kinda kludgey. UI Toolkit seems like a better concept and builds off experience with web design. It separates the visual design from programming in a much cleaner manner, IMHO.