Search Unity

Thank you for bringing this to ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by LevonRavel, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

First I would like to take the time to say thank you instead of pushing bug reports, You must see so many of them already that yet another one would bring hopes down. Please remember that what your team is doing for the Linux community is awesome and wonderful.

Best Regards
    Levon Ravel,

2. Tomza

Tomza

I must say it wasn't easy to make Unity Team release the Linux version of editor. Linux needs commercial software. But it is still only "experimental".

Zuntatos likes this.
  3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I'm just happy that I can work with Unity on both my OS partitions. :)
    In fact, I've basically got a cross-platform toolset, thanks to unity's efforts:

Unity 5.3.3, GIMP, Blender, LMMS = cross platform. :)
    Only windows-only software is for my guitar rig, and that's on a different machine. ;)

EDIT: Oh yea, I forgot to mention VS code here too. :) (That credit goes to Microsoft, which is surprising)

4. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

I was looking into vs code but seems a little lite for my needs, I develop plug-ins for unity, so I really needed something that could compile out. Monodevelop does the job but some reason I cannot get it to open automatically when I click on in game classes. So far I have not noticed any bugs and I am doing a lot of procedural work. Same as you had to make a move to blender as wine will not run zbrush.. Very sad day haha but all in all I am very pleased with the teams efforts. I can honestly say I am very happy that I do not need to look toward micro $$ any more. Thank you Unity Team..

Best Regards
    Levon Ravel.

5. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

I'd rather have it be experimental than non-existant.

I am dreading the idea of ever having to run Windows 10, so my hope is that my next computer can run a duel boot of either Manjaro and Win7 or Mint and Win7, with the intention of doing as much as possible on Linux, and only using Windows for mostly testing Windows versions of games or using any other software I can't possibly get on Linux.

Though at this point, most of the software I use anyway (Gimp, Audacity, VLC media player, Libre Office) is actually Linux software that they ported to Windows, and all I'm really waiting for is Unity. And for Autodesk to make an Deb/Ubuntu version of Maya, but thats another story...

Anyway, I really hope this becomes a real legit version of Unity so I can finally start using Windows a lot less. I really appreciate that this effort is being made by the Unity folks

Tomza and Zuntatos like this.
  6. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

Lots of love in this thread I like it :p

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I made the move to Blender something like 5 years ago back when I didn't even know linux existed (or, I did, but wasn't really interested then) simply because I didn't want to be tied down by a license I knew was going to expire when I finish school. (3DS Max, Autodesk, I'm looking at you. ;)) That, and... I seriously never saw why 3DS max was so well received; I find blender far superior to 3DS Max in workflow speed. :)

Kinda sad that zbrush won't run though... I've heard really amazing things about that program. :)

8. larku

larku

Hahahahaha...

sorry...

/crawls back into box

9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I would NOT be surprised if that was their reaction. ;)

10. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

My sentiments exactly

I was going to say Adobe bringing the Creative Cloud to Linux in that post, but I had such a sidestich from laughing and blurry vision from crying by the time I got half way through typing it that I changed it.

11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

HA! Good... Luck... with that. XD

(And we do have GIMP... haven't given openshot a go yet to replace premiere)

12. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

You may want to try Krita if you haven't. If someone would have told me it was a $300-$400 piece of software I would have believed them. It's one of the most polished/professional feeling FOSS softwares that I've used.

LukaKotar likes this.
  13. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah exactly. Still though, as much as I love Gimp and Krita over Photoshop, it would be nice to have some of that video editing software. Because I mean Openshot and Kdenlive can get the job done, neither of them touches Aftereffects for visual effects. Thats probably one of the only things on Linux that I feel is lacking, is in video editing and special effects. But yeah, Adobe would probably need to be held at bazooka-point before they ever even considered a linux desktop version of Adobe CC

And yeah, Krita rocks, my friend recently got a drawing pad and she loves using it with Krita. While I like Gimp better for some things, Krita's interface is so intuitive and nice, it's just very drawing pad friendly

14. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Wow, had no idea that existed, might even give it a whirl sometime. (Currently, I'm trying to prevent my ubuntu partition from filling up, it's only got 300MB left or something... :D)

15. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Woah, jeez

Might need to pop a new drive into that mutha.

Well, if you are into digital drawing/painting, Krita is the best for that. It has features you didn't even know you needed like it's little right clicky menu thing that lets you pick your favorite brushes and colors and stuff. It's awesome.

16. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Might... only the HDD partition I gave to ubuntu's 14 GB. (The ENTIRE SYSTEM takes up something like 10 gigs, then there's Unity, an additional 3GB. next is my android SDK install, of which tops 500MB)
    (Windows 10 has the rest of it, about 218GB, to itself, simply because I have a bad habit of filling up windows installs... :D)

EDIT: I think I worked out what's taking up so much.. why on earth are there 32-bit libs in my packages list?! (It's supposed to be pure 64-bit... :D)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  17. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Jeez, I would have gone with at least 20gb if you wanted to go......minimalist, ha ha

If you're using a desktop, you oughta just pick up a small SSD or something and just migrate your Ubuntu install onto that

18. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I was seriously thinking of swapping my laptop drive out anyway, since it's something like 5 years old, and possibly going to cark it soon. (sometimes, I get hard-disk related lockups, but they're extremely few and far between...)

19. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Dude, I would definitely be upgrading to an SSD in that case

I had my HDD die in this laptop a year or two ago unexpectedly (something fell off of the shelf above me onto the laptop, right where the HDD is, during a skype call, it was the trippiest experience watching my computer slowly die, and having my friend listen). And it was a HUGE problem to install a backup because of how SSDs work, because apparently you can't install a backup image meant for an HDD on an SSD

Anyway, long story short, this laptop runs on an 840 evo now, and it was 100% worth it.

It was like I got a new computer, I don't even think it was this fast when I first got it years ago

All you need to do is pick up a 2.5 inch SSD and a 2.5 inch sata drive enclosure, and (at least with the samsungs, which are the best) they come with a DVD that migrates all your data to the new disk, then you just install the SSD and watch your computer jump to warp factor 9

Plus, SSDs are more impact resistant, which is why I'll never run a mechanical drive in a laptop ever again.

Doing it before you have to is way easier and way less costly than doing when your drive is already dead.

In this case I'd pick up a big one, like a 500gb model, so you can give your windows and Ubuntu installs some space to stretch their legs a little

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That's strange... What software did you use to clone your disk?

I've heard of people being able to backup with clonezilla or something, swap drives, and flash clonezilla image back. :) (Ok, I admit I got that out of a magazine, but the one I read have their heads screwed on right!)

Also... My Ubuntu partition did something strange with the filesystem today, (It thinks the disk is full when the total partition capacity indicates it's clearly not... and it isn't inodes this time) so... looks like I'll be doing the cleanup soon! :)

21. larku

larku

On Linux ext3/4 partitions reserve 5% (IIRC) of disk space for root and important processes. As such, for a typical user the system will report out of space when there is 5% left.

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Except I had much lower amounts of free space before this... and I only cleaned up my home folder a few days ago.

Before:
    HDD space free: ~300MB
    Total Capacity: 14.1GB

After cleanup:
    HDD space free: 713MB
    Total Capacity: 14.1GB

Today:
    HDD space free: 0B
    HDD space used: 13.9GB
    Total capacity: 14.1GB

Today's stats are according to Ubuntu's disk properties... strangely, Windows with Ext2Fsd can recognize the lost free space fine. And yes, I am aware of the ext3/4 limits.
    And one more thing; I already checked the inodes left, and there's plenty to go around, so i don't think that's it.

With this weird issue, X won't start, due to the disk unable to store the log file- wait a sec... maybe I've got logs filling everything up?!

EDIT: here we go, I went and deleted the logs with Windows, lets see if it works... :D

23. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

I was just trying to restore using a regular windows backup. I was pretty terrified when my disk image didn't show up on the backup screen

I was unaware of Clonezilla back then. I didn't know nearly as much as I know now back then.

I think the core of your problem is the fact that the partition is so ridiculously puny

Maybe you could offload all non-essencial files to a flash drive or external HDD

24. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Welp, I finally re-did my ubuntu install, now there's plenty of space (even with GNOME as the DE) and I only need enough space for the system to function, and leave 5GB for swap. (I like to use an external drive to store stuff on, and only use the system drive for... well... system stuff. :D)

And before, that was the issue; I have an SD card inserted for my stuff, but Ubuntu alone was taking a lot of my hard disk partition! Of course, my minimal install fixes that (and the glitch I ran into yesterday) and an issue where I couldn't use hibernation (not enough swap to do so)

25. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Well, I've just learned it's a good idea to include a decent amount of space for Linux, because of all the awesome free software, so you can try anything you want without having to delete everything, ha ha

I think I gave my old Ubuntu install like 20gb on my old desktop that I use, and I feel that if my hardware was better on that machine, that would have been entirely inadiquate, because of how much stuff I would have installed, ha ha.

That being said, I don't save files very often to that hard drive either, I offload everything to my NAS so I can save space, and I can transfer it to my laptop whenever I want. My workflow is that (even though that old machine huffs and puffs when I do it) I use GIMP on Ubuntu, then use the NAS to transfer my work to my laptop and use it in stuff like Unity, which has the horsepower to handle this sort of thing. It was really nice in college when I would use Maya on my laptop, and GIMP on the desktop, and just make my textures, and transfer them right to Maya, so I could make tiny modifications to my textures and test them immediately. Gotta love that multi monitor experience

Man, I miss Maya. Stupid Canadian monopoly making it cost prohibitively expensive, and the cheap version not being available for Linux, EVEN THOUGH the expensive ridiculous version SORTA is (Who uses RHEL anyway!?)

Jeez, I went so far off track there that I might need someone to send a search party to find me

26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

LOL, that's Autodesk for you. ;)
    Good question too; was Maya always Autodesk?

27. larku

larku

28. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Huh. Never thought the movie Dinosaur was good for anything. I guess it did something right in helping with the invention of Maya....

I did use Maya back when it wasn't an Autodesk product. Somewhere in my house I have a disk with Alias Maya 5 on it, a teacher in high school gave it to me, and if the pricetag is to be believed, he bought it for around $40....

But yeah, it's crazy the stuff Autodesk gets away with, they just buy everyone who tries to compete with them. And then they just sell those companies software with insanely jacked up prices because no one can compete with them to lower the market prices.

29. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Dafuq Autodesk?! Specifically why I don't endorse Autodesk products (well, except autoCAD, that's actually good for what it's built for...)

Funny, they never supported Debian... unless Red hat was based on it. Still, that sucks for OpenSUSE users...

30. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

I mean, Maya is good software, it's just wildly overpriced. Like, if it was half the price it is now, and instead of getting this BS 1 year license, you owned that copy, then it might be justifyable. But that kind of money for something and you don't even own it? No, thats absurd.

No, Red Hat has always been it's own distro that has some sort of relationship with Fedora. They don't support Debian distros because apparently in their minds, only lowly filthy plebians who can't afford or don't want to pay for software use them. Thats pretty much Adobe's excuse too.

31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

And that's where most people flip the bird at them. ;) I seriously wish Alias was still around; they sounded like legends. :)
    That alone is the reason I chose blender over Autodesk software when I was looking for a 3D package that was easy to use (wasn't initially, but I caught on pretty quick) and free back when i was only starting to dive into 3D modelling, rendering, animation, etc. It also paid off; now my migration to linux dual-boots isn't as painful as it could have been. :)
    And, to steer back onto the main road, Unity did the one thing that's kept me testing (and actively using!) the linux editor. Again, thank you Unity for bringing a usable editor to Ubuntu (and not just usable, but OpenGL powered, I'm a sucker for liking to work with OpenGL stuff... :D)

32. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah, I really don't know why someone's government doesn't just say "uhhh, you aren't allowed to just buy all of your competition, thats kind of considered a monopolistic practice that stifles competition". Do people not remember that little thing called The Great Depression?

I just can't get used to Blender. It feels so clunky compared to Maya. And not even in that GIMP way where it's like Photoshop, it just looks different, the entire work flow just feels so much clunkier. At least the tools in GIMP mostly work the same way as they do in Photoshop. And most 3D packages in existance use the same conventions as well, with the exception of Blender. And you can really just tell when a model was made in Blender, it just has that chunky, blender-ie look, and the textures just look so....N64.

It'll be nice when I have some hardware I can test with. I'm pretty excited for 16.04 as well, so trying both of those at once might be twice as fun

33. larku

larku

I'd guess that's more the weight of beginner/indie users using blender due to its price rather than the products ability though. A casual observation on my behalf as I'm not an artist and have no opinion either way.

34. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

True, that might be part of it, but I also feel like the work flow just isn't robust enough to really let you fine tune your model as nicely as you can in Maya. Plus as far as I can tell, I don't think I've ever seen a Blender model with Normal maps or Specular maps, they always just seem to just have Diffuse maps and thats it.

Again, that could just be the people using it being beginners, but from what I've seen in tutorials, to me it just feels like theres a good reason that Blender isn't the industry standard, and people are willing to spend stupid amounts of money on Maya instead

35. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

I can understand your point about the workflow, and I'm sure Maya is better in that regard. However, Blender is a fully featured 3D modelling program, and you can definitely make good models with it if you are a good modeller. You can also bake shadermaps like AO, normals, and similar. I think the reason you don't see many good Blender models is simply because people who do this professionally will probably want the best workflow possible, so Blender users are mostly beginners and hobbyists. And plus, you cab expect better faster fixes to issues you may encounter in a commercial software over something that is free. I will probably buy it as well, if I can ever afford it. But for now, I'm happy with Blender.

NathanWarden likes this.
  36. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

I've used 3D software professionally on a few TV commercials, three short films and quite a bit of Arch Viz. While I don't do 3D as a profession anymore, I find the value proposition of Blender to Maya to be much greater, and unless modelling Maya's workflow has gotten a complete overhaul in the last few years, the modelling in Maya was pretty harsh when I spent about a month learning it.

The truth is that software like Blender is used in high end 3D productions, it's just that many times the people who would say it was used in this movie, or that TV show are silenced. If I remember correctly, my friend Bruce Branit wrote an article several years back about how Lightwave was used in the making of King Kong. It probably violated an NDA or something and he was forced to retract the statement and the article was republished without it. Why? Because Lightwave wasn't "high end" enough and I suppose devalues the movie somehow.

If you're used to something like Modo, which is the commercial software I would prefer if I was forced to used proprietary software, I think you may have a tough time with Blender. Despite the completely different workflow of Blender, I've been forcing myself to learn it and have actually found quite a few gems and a workflow that ultimately works just fine in it that will keep me from ever spending $1500 per year on something like Maya, no thanks :)

Of course, let's be practical too, if you're a professional that makes a living and switching from Maya would completely disrupt your workflow, it would be advisable to stick with Maya.

37. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah, it probably just is the hobbiests who make it look bad to me I guess.

I actually took a course on Maya in college, so thats why I'm so familiar with the style, and I find that other 3D software I've come across all have some highly similar workflow elements like shortcuts and such. I know 3DS Max obviously uses the same shortcuts and such, but if I remember correctly, Modo uses similar shortcuts as well, like having WER for the basic shortcuts for moving, rotating, and scaling

Really? Just for mentioning a software? Wow. Thats wild. Lightwave certainly doesn't look bad either, and while not Maya expensive, it is pretty pricy. Thats really crazy.

Yeah, I was looking into Modo a little bit when looking into Maya alternatives. It's a shame that one is so expensive too. I mean, at least you own it (Or at least thats my impression from the way they talk about it) when you pay one time rather than paying an insane price tag like that every 12 months.

The annoying thing is that both Maya and Modo have their "budget" game development versions, but neither of those is available on Linux, even though the full versions are available, albeit on RHEL, and not a more popular distro. I mean I feel like I could even justify paying the $200ish a year it is for either of those if I could put it on an OS I like and it was making me some money

By the way, it's pretty cool that you got a chance to do 3D stuff professionally like that

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

It is true that blender's heritage has been plagued by N64-like models... and that is ultimately due to a lack of basic rendering setup skills. (i.e. a lot of the models you've seen are probably using Blender's internal scanline renderer, of which is complete garbage if not setup right)

On the other hand, you also run into amazing images like this one, of which uses the beta Vray integration: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?393491-The-Perils-of-Modern-Vampire-Hunting

Quite honestly, that is the pinnacle of what is achievable in blender, especially with Vray being used, as its apparently really hard to get a blender + vray pipeline working right. It's such a pitty the guy who made it didn't do an animation... that would have been intense. :)

Long story short, the masters of blender can do some amazing things if the time is there.

39. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Welp, I can say that my first texturing attempts weren't great either... :D most likely the beginners probably use a lower-res canvas to work with when doing up textures for their UVs, simply to keep it simple for them while they're learning.

On the other hand, some of blender's baking tools are actually quite good. (Cycles can be complex to setup though if you don't know what you're doing!) I've been doing some graphics experimentation lately, and one of my latest attempts will be using baked maps from blender to bypass Unity's lighting system...
    Now THAT can be a bit clunky to use, especially with large models. That, and the Linux editor doesn't work quite right with it yet...

40. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah, thats pretty nice, it definitely would have been better as an animation, but who knows if he could get all that stuff running in an animation and maybe thats why he just rendered it out as a still instead

I remember the first thing I ever UV'd in class was a banana. That was an odd assignment. It wasn't until I did my first character that I really learned my hatred for UVing

From what I remember Unity's light baking is pretty decent, at least it was in Unity 4

This makes me miss doing graphics a little bit, I haven't done graphics in a while because my current project has none

41. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Thanks, yeah, it was a real blessing to have worked for people like Bruce Branit.

Check out this movie that he let me work on several shots. I did say "let" as this film is one of his babies. :) In the credits it says I did modelling, but the truth is that I got to do quite a few effects too, which was quite a bit of fun!

I know the price is pretty high to buy Modo or Maya, which is one of two major reasons I switched to Blender. The primary reason is that it's open source, the secondary reason is cost since I already have a license to Modo, I just don't want to be stuck having to pay when I NEED to upgrade, but can't.

If you do want a commercial product, Modo is the way to go. The initial price is a bit higher, but you can stay on the same version for as long as you'd like without paying anything extra.

Or just learn Blender as it really has everything you need. :) And if it doesn't have everything you need, you do have the option to implement the feature yourself since it's open source, or get a third party plugin as there are many out there for Blender.

Here's a link to a really nice Blender website that I visit often that contains lots of articles including some tutorials on how to do some pretty interesting effects, lighting, modelling, shading, etc...
    http://www.blenderguru.com

Here's a link from the same site that contains some of last month's top Blender artwork that was made:
    http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/top-10-blender-artworks-february-2016/

Also, you can get a subscription to this website. If you pay $30 (3 month subscription), you get access to all of their training materials and behind the scenes content and can download it all, and it's really good stuff.
    https://cloud.blender.org/

Hope that helps,
    Nathan

42. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Wow, I don't think I got it until the end. Pretty good.

But if you could write a plugin that let you 3D model like that with an Occulus Rift or something in Blender, I'd download that in like 5 minutes. It wouldn't nessessarily be the fastest workflow, but hot damn would that be cool

I'll have to take all of this into consideration when I get my next computer. Hopefully by then the cheaper options will be available for linux so I can consider everything

43. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

There you go. :) One thing I will say; practice practice practice! I cannot say this enough, as practice is what got me to the semi-pro blender user today. :) And those sites will most definitely help. (And this I know at the age of 18... what HAS this world come to?! :D)

44. Charro

Charro

+1 to this Thread !!

45. LearningNot

LearningNot

+1 to this Thread !!

46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'll lock it. We can't really encourage topic drift outside General, even if it cheery, sorry. BUT! feel free to make the same subject in general discussion (Maya/Linux/Etc)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.