Search Unity

TGA vs PNG

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by N1ckGreek, Aug 1, 2016.

1. N1ckGreek

N1ckGreek

Hello, I am new to 3d Modeling and Texturing and i am not sure which once to use for my textures. I hear people say TGA is better than PNG but i dont know why. Also TGA file size seems to be way larger than PNG. My 4096 TGA textures are almost 50 mb which is huge. I consider switching to PNG but i dont know if i will lose any quality. Anyone know about the pros and cons of TGA and PNG for textures?

Note that i am using Quixel for texturing and Unity for engine.

2. bgolus

bgolus

TGA - Pros: Faster file save times while editing. Easier to deal with alpha channel separately from color (like Photoshop) which is often needed for the metal / smoothness map. Cons: Larger source files on disk.

PNG - Pros: Smaller source files on disk. Cons: Some applications will alter the image when saved by making the color solid black or white where the alpha channel is completely transparent, which is bad for for metal / smoothness maps.

That's pretty much it. If PNG is handled properly (and Quixel probably does) there will be no difference between the two formats apart from the files saved on disk are larger. In the actually running application the texture quality and size will be identical.

pachermann, zwcloud, Bezoro and 7 others like this.
unityunity