Search Unity

texturing

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by morgansaysthis, Jun 20, 2007.

1. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

what do you guys do for texturing?? i can never seam to get UV maps with blender to work, and texture paint with blender dosent work for larger terrains because the background wont tile(i think)

i really want a nice program with paint on texturing, do you know any??

and how is maya texturing??

or cheetah 3d??

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Blender. :) UV mapping in Blender seems fairly easy and straightforward to me (once you understand the concept), with quite a few convenient functions, but I'm not really sure how easy/hard other 3D apps are by comparison.

--Eric

3. jaydubs

jaydubs

Texturing in Maya is relatively simple ... have I posted replies to you before ?

Paint on texutring is something I have little experience with but you can use PaintFX ( in Maya ) to paint textures onto your objects.

I find theres more control in Photoshop ( or similar ), once my object is UV mapped.
    http://www.harshcg.com/tutorials/skullhead/makingof_skullhead.html

This is a good tute covering texturing in Maya.

Hope this helps,

J.

4. thylaxene

thylaxene

modo has nice texture painting abilities, so does C4D as it comes with BodyPaint3D which is very good. zbrush3 has new 3d polygon painting abilities as well - which with my small amount of time spent using it, looks very promising.

5. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

@jay, yeah you replyed to my I MESSED UP BAD post....were i lost my game file...what a bad day that was

@thylaxene

actually i really wanted bodypaint, they didnt have a demo up b4 when i went looking i should go check again

@eric

i cant figure out UV unwrapping, i can never get the seams right, and my model comes out looking like a wadd of polygons

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There are a number of good tutorials on-line for UV unwrapping; have you looked into those? Don't have any links offhand, but I probably found them with Google originally so that should do the trick. There are some pretty great tools like "live unwrap transform" that aren't immediately obvious, but when you see how they work, it makes things a lot better.

--Eric

7. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

thanks a bunch eric ill look into that

8. jeremyace

jeremyace

ZBrush 3. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's quite good.

-Jeremy

9. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I mainly use Bodypaint3D, as part of C4D, wich is a very fast and efficient workflow. Most times i take the Bodypaint-Texture into Photoshop for fine tuning and final polish, because Bodypaint lacks some deeper graphic functions. In combination with a 2D Graphic-App its a very good tool, also for easy UV layouting. Bodypaint has all needed painting tools and some very nice funtions to paint on different texture layers and effect channels with only one brush... so you can paint color and displacement/bumpmaps at the same time for example. The main advantage is, that when you are familiar with photoshop or paint you can start within minutes. http://www.maxon.de

I can also strongly recommend zBrush if you are more into free painting, than actually constructing texture from scanned material and stuff. There is no better tool for freely painting directly on a 3D Surface than zBrush. Version 2 will do an excellent job, Version 3 simply rocks ;). The Workflow is fast, intuitive and fluent. The functions differ from most other graphic apps, but when you get used to them, its really great. A Wacom Tablet is not only recommended but neccessary in my opinion.
    (And besides a good painting app you get one of the best organic modeling softwares.) http://www.picologic.com

I hope this helped.

Frank

10. Martin

Martin

Hi,
    here you can find a small video tutorial which shows how to do it in Cheetah3D.

http://loewald.com/tutorials/c3d_uv_mapping.html

Bye,
    Martin

11. jeremyace

jeremyace

Also, with a free plugin (ZAppLink), you can also texture ZBrush art in photoshop (2D only of course). Quite handy.

-Jeremy

12. milkytreat

milkytreat

ive found silo 2 's unwrap functionality unbelievably easy to unwrap .. i think similar functioanlity is in blender as well

13. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

I have tried painting in BP and found you really needed to UV map the model any way. So I found I prefer just UV mapping the object, and then painting my textures in photoshop. I use Unity's live update to see how they look on the model as I go along. You should be fine with blender, just learn the tricks of UV mapping and you will be able to use whatever app you like. I use Maya for my modeling and UV mapping. Jeff

14. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

@alpha, i do indeed have a wacom tablet :) , and that being said in my body-paint demo something really pissed me off, using the tablet to try and spin the model to paint the other side makes it spin eraticly, so i have to switch to my mouse to turn the viewport......irritating.... but i haven't got into learning body-paint yet so i dont know much about it

and does Z-brush have a demo??

15. pete

pete

>>and does Z-brush have a demo??

yes for version 2. zb3 demo should be out in a few months along with hopefully a mac version :x

16. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

hmmmmm, im thinking about getting cheetah 3D, the demo is still on my computer but i never bought it, to bad im broke