Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Texturing Time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unity_3dferartist, Mar 16, 2020.

1. unity_3dferartist

unity_3dferartist

Hi all, so, I've been making a scene (still working on it, making new assets and so on) and I want to add some textures in it.

The thing is that normally I create all texture sets for each asset that I do in substance painter, but it's really time consuming and I am searching a way to spped up my working process.

Can I create procedural materials inside of Unity in the same way I could do it with blender?

Is there a way for unity to interpretate smart materials from substance?

And how can I transform a regular PBR texture set to HDRP Mask Map? (In case if I am using textures created in Mixer).

ty all ^^

Deckard_89 likes this.
  2. Baste

Baste

Is there any reason you couldn't do it in Blender, and then export the results from there?

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

He's speaking of procedural materials. Blender supports texture-free procedural materials, and it uses shader graphs for them. Those cannot be exported to unity.

Example:
    upload_2020-3-16_19-35-47.png

Shadergraph:
    upload_2020-3-16_19-36-8.png
    upload_2020-3-16_19-36-29.png

In theory you could, in practice, you can't. Fully procedural material is going to have poor performance and needs to be baked into textures.

4. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

You could create Substances in Substance Designer. I haven't messed with it but I know there is a package to use Substances in Unity. You would still need to make UVs for the models though.

5. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

you won't get around UV'ing and authoring textures for game environment art.

If you organize smartly it's not as much work as it seems. You already got a full library of smart materials in substance painter. That will cover a lot of the work for you. There is also tons of great freebies on substance share. And if you look around the internet a bit, there is so much free and cheap stuff, even as an artist I hardly ever make anything from scratch.

Organize your items by material type. You can probably fit them all into just a few materials. If you don't know how to use trim sheets, you might as well learn.

There is no quick easy way. You just have to do the work. If you haven't done something like this before it might take you a week. Once you know what you are doing, it may only take a day.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  6. steego

steego

If you unwrap your model, you can still bake these into a texture though.

JamesArndt likes this.
  7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yes I was going to add it's pretty much the same workflow as Substance Painter minus all of the fancy masks and generators. You procedurally texture your way through an asset in Blender and when it's time you export it out as a baked texture to Unity (this is just a TGA, PNG, etc). You have to make sure the mesh has a good set of non-overlapping UVs though.

8. neginfinity

neginfinity

However, that's not exactly the same workflow as throwing the procedural shader at any geometry. The OP technically asked about "the same way". For that the answer is "no".