Search Unity

Texturing Levels Workflow

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by BobbyDoogle, Jan 4, 2014.

1. BobbyDoogle

BobbyDoogle

I am looking for a high overview of the process for texturing levels (or some links to good tutorials). For models I am familiar with UV Mapping and editing to create excellent results (I'm working in Maya). However, with levels the areas textured may be huge. Do quality level designs need to make use of Decals? I have also been researching layered texture shaders to say mix dirt and grass in and out, to create more natural and varied results than one repeating texture. Say for instance I make a detailed flat parking lot. Every parking space has parking lines associated, but I'm confused how I would go about texturing these in, via a decal? Thanks allot for any workflow input.

2. will_jones

will_jones

Generally you want to split as much of the level up in modular pieces and hiding seams accordingly with props, decals, vertex shading, lighting and atmosphere. My approach would be to make the parking lot texture on one plane, and add props on top - light poles, parking spot curbs, etc. then you could blend them in together as one piece, add dirt or grime, cracks etc. either by using decals or possibly substances. You could control asphalt cracks, dirt, grime, and grass all through a single substance material

Edit: You can also generate amount of parking lines with substances as well if you have multiple parking lots needed.

links: http://www.allegorithmic.com/

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014