Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Texturing a big map?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Unity-Artcraft, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Unity-Artcraft

Unity-Artcraft

I'm used to 2D and it's fairly simple, create tilemap and you're basically done. 3D however seems very complicated. Let's say I have a big low poly map, like this one (white figure as reference):

https://i.imgur.com/62QEbu0.jpg

And Let's say, I like to draw a nice texture on it with lots of variety. What's the workflow here? Do I have to chop this map up in 20 or so pieces and have 20 unique textures for each one? Performance wise, it does not seem to be a wise decision... especially if I have 10 such maps in my game, that would be 200 textures. Unity has a terrain tool with brushes but as far as I know, it's not for custom, low poly terrain. I'm very lost here, since there's zero information about this, every video is about unitys terrain tool, which I don't want to use, it doesn't support flat shading.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

You could do this if you want to. I've never heard of anyone making unique texture for every space on their map, though. Usually I see repeating textures with masking or tiling, or tri-planar projection.

200 textures is no big deal in desktop, so it's feasible, but probably not efficient, because you'll probably be dedicating a large amount of texture space to low-information areas of the map.

I'm not sure, but I think Unity's polybrush package will let you paint different textures on a mesh, similar to how terrain tools let you paint different textures on a terrain. You might look in to that.

Edit: Simply, if I where trying to make a map similar to the one in your image, I would just make the grass, the mountains and inside of the ravine a separate mesh and just put a different repeating material on each one. Then just add a bunch of detail meshes to break it up.