Search Unity

Textures take 1.5gb memory and all others only 300mb!

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by mfatihbarut, Jan 18, 2021.

1. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

Hi all,
    As far as I see textures take 5x memory place considering other source eaters.
    What can I do to reduce the texture amount in memory?
    ( I already reduced their resolution from 4096 to 512)

2. cassius

cassius

Are you using Mip mapping on the textures? If so, disabling them will save about 30% on memory, but you'll lose the benefit of the mip maps.

3. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

I didn't use mip maps

4. Stardog

Stardog

You mean space in your project, or space in memory when playing? Beyond reducing res, there's not much you can do except atlas them.

If it's project size, even when putting them to 512, the source texture will still be there at full size. You can change the size in photoshop.

5. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

thanks a lot. I meant the space in memory. I have 2 questions.
    Is there any disadvantage of atlasing?
    Where can I find good guide to follow for atlas.

6. Stardog

Stardog

The disadvantage is only in the workflow, because you will have to make the atlas either by hand in Photoshop or using some asset store asset, then change the UV coordinates of the mesh/material, because there are now maybe four 512x512 textures combined into one 1024x1024 image. If your mesh needs the texture in the bottom-right, you will have to change its UV's.

You can use ShaderGraph to make a shader that can do it:
    shadergraph-atlas-flipbook.PNG

The problem here is that changing the material's properties will change it for every gameobject that uses it. So you can either duplicate the material and change it, but it would be better to have a custom component that gets the material instance and changes it only for that gameobject.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/can...isntance-of-the-material.665803/#post-4460479
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/usi...raph-shaders-help-wanted.651547/#post-5351751

You can also change UV's in code, or get an asset from the store. TexturePacker3D is not out yet, but might be soon.

7. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

thanks a lot, but as an indie game developer I felt a little bit overwhelmed with this subject and I don't think I can handle it professionally

8. Kirsche

Kirsche

Have you enabled crunch compression?

9. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

I heard bad things about crunch compression.
    They say it only works desktops but my game is mobile.

10. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Crunch won't save memory, as the texture is unpacked to a native format on load.

11. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

What texture compression are you using? It sounds a bit like you're ending up with ARGB32s in memory.