Search Unity

Textures of Model brought into Unity are dull and pixalated

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by petergraham003, May 5, 2018.

1. petergraham003

petergraham003

Hi,

I have a huge soccer stadium Modeled in Maya.

1. In Maya To generate the UV's, I do Automatic Unwrapping and manually resize the UV's as required.
    2. These are taken into Substance painter and textured. I usually generate the texture set which contains Base Colour, AO, Specular, Metallic and Normal map.
    3. These textures(typically around 40 to 50 in number) are brought back into Maya and the whole model + textures are optimized using MayaSimplygon plugin.
    4. After Aggregation and Material Baking (tried with Use Existing UV's and Unwrap new UV's) options with Simplygon, The output generated will have only one Draw Call, One Albedo, One AO, One Normal Map and One Specular.
    5. Optimized stadium model and textures are brought into Unity.

However, the output in Unity is not upto the mark. Stadium looks dull and parts of the texture are dilated.

How can I get good quality results for the stadium?

2. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I'm guessing you simply don't have enough texture real-estate. You painted the texture in higher resolution I'm assuming, and then you fit all of that into a smaller texture when you optimized it, so in the process it simply loses all that detail.

My opinion, especially with something as big as a stadium, you may not need to literally make it a single draw call for the whole thing. I don't know how many triangles it is, and don't know what platform you are going to be using, but generally something as big and with as many varied materials is not going to fit on a single texture, even 8192x8192. There is just too much detail you are not going to get, hence the blurred and dull stuff you are finding.

I think the next step, since I assume you want some kind of optimization, if you haven't already done it, is to maybe build the stadium in a more modular fashion. Do all the seats use the same texture? Walls and ground? I'm not saying you have to position all the seats in Unity, just saying that in Maya, you could model and UV a single seat, and then duplicate that all over the place(maybe have a couple different versions for variety). Then you can use only that material and texture, and possibly combine all the seats into a single draw call.