Search Unity

textures are darker in Unity3d than Photoshop

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by unfungmz, Aug 12, 2018.

1. unfungmz

unfungmz

I created an image in photoshop (with alpha) then imported it into Unity. Turned off compression, gave it the max size, and then drag and dropped it into a plane. It was slightly darker, so I set the shader to unlit/transparent cutout to try to get the color to be exact, but it was still dark. I tried changing the color space, but it's still darker. I've tried a lot of settings and nothing has gotten it to the correct color. Any ideas?

2. bgolus

bgolus

Unity is showing the correct color. It's Photoshop that is not.

To explain further, Photoshop applies color correction that's intended to make images appear the same across different monitors and displays using per display color correction. However this really only works out with professional grade monitors that have been calibrated using professional hardware. For your average monitor the color profile Photoshop is using is a default profile, or one supplied by the monitor that is likely designed to look extra bright and saturated rather than correct.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  3. unfungmz

unfungmz

Interesting - when I'm back in front of my PC I'll have to open those images in paint or something to have a look (assuming they'd show correctly).

Is there anything I can do to get Photoshop to display the colors I will see in Unity?