Search Unity

Texture size changes in Unity, but not on actual machine.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nobluff67, Aug 24, 2019.

1. nobluff67

nobluff67

Hi,

I have a strange problem that I have not encountered before.

I have compressed a texture (changing max size to 256), in unity it shows a size of 340kb, however in windows explorer and unity build, it shows as 4mb. The file in explorer shows that the date and time has not changed, however the .meta date and time has changed.

This what I have tried in order to solve the problem:

1. Restarted Unity.
    2. Changed the name of the texture (it does change both in unity and windows, however the size issue persists.
    3. Changed the max size to 8192 (size in unity changes, size in windows stays same).
    4. Changed the max size to 32 (size in unity changes, size in windows stays same).
    I am lost, anyone come across this before?

Attached Files:

2. nobluff67

nobluff67

Solved: So unknown to me is that Unity doesn't actually change the actual size of the file on your operating system, it just changes it within Unity. The file I was looking at in the build, was not the actual file in my example, which was actually not even in my build, it was only in my project.

A special thanks to me for solving my own problem, that didn't exist.

BonneCW likes this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Indeed, import settings for asserts like textures, models, etc, don’t affect the source files, just imported version in your library and builds. If you check your build report, it should show the compressed size.

nobluff67 likes this.