Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Texture problem : Graphical Corruptions - Need Help

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Noss1325, Apr 5, 2016.

1. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Not deleted from the project assets folder. The exact term would be "not referenced". When Unity processes a build, it only includes assets that are referenced in the scenes instead of just grabbing everything in the project. In my original case, I had more than 4GB of content referenced in a single scene, because I had one scene with a bunch of procedural systems that I implemented.

What I did to get around the 4GB limit (of referenced assets) per scene was break my project into several scenes and move a few procedural systems into each scene. Then I used the multi-scene load option in Unity to load all of my scenes together at startup. My build is currently over 5GB total size, and each scene is less than 4GB.

Unity still needs to properly address this bug. At a minimum, Unity should generate a pop-up to let the developer know they crossed the 4GB size limit on a scene in their build. But longer term, Unity should simply fix this stupid bug. This bug has wasted a lot of developer time.

Larzarus and mattis89 like this.
  2. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

It is not just related to textures. This bug/limit is related to total file size per scene in the build. Textures are often what takes up the most space in the builds, but it just as easily could be audio files for example. Use the "Build Report Tool" asset to find out what is using the most space in your own builds.

mattis89 and karl_jones like this.
  3. julianr

julianr

I had this same issue, I resolved it by splitting up my artwork/assets over multiple scenes - it appears that some processes have a 32 bit cap, even on a 64 bit build. Then created a gameObject with a sceneloader script to load each scene together async. Downside is now that I've implemented streaming and all assets need to be in one main scene (same glitch!) too many assets in one scene - when I use a low poly mesh for a proxy building [edit replied on page 2] then saw ShilohGames had the same issue. I posted about this before on the forums - not sure if people noticed it or helped in any way.

4. unity_OvjCTkPuo9CeCQ

unity_OvjCTkPuo9CeCQ

i am facing the same problem unity really sucks for handling the big projects.
    can anybody tell what unity include in resources.assets.resS file. when unity create it.
    some times unity creates sharedasset.assets.rssS. I don't know what unity include in resources.assets.resS and what is in sharedasset.assets.rssS. what is the difference in both file please help

5. radiantboy

radiantboy

Even using asset bundles does not solve this, does anyone know what you do with asset bundles to split them into less than 4 gig chunks? Sure I read it on a thread about this bug but I cannot find it.

6. LordYabo

LordYabo

That worked for me too! I had a similar but different problem from above. My 2dtk textures and TextMeshPro were all messed up on a Mac build I made with unity 5.6.6.3f on PC. 2gb of resources. Soon as i made a 64bit build it worked!

radiantboy likes this.
  7. radiantboy

radiantboy

Still a problem here on windows, I think solution is use asset bundles and limit their size, I am still trying to work that out LOL..

8. Unplug

Unplug

i have exactly that problem in 2020 with unity 2017 lts lol... wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

9. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What version of unity are you using? We added support for this in 2020.1.

10. radiantboy

radiantboy

2020 is still unusable for me, crashes constantly doing anything, recalc gizmos is a bad crash, as is drawgrid, and world to tile with navmesh. 2020 is a total mess imho, wasted 3 or 4 months trying to migrate to it, back to 2019, so still stuck with this original issue. Nightmare after nightmare after nightmare trying to make a game on unity :(

11. Unplug

Unplug

as I said, "with unity 2017 LTS"... this should be retro-ported, it's absolutely nuts that we can't benefit from 64 bits structure...

I can't really turn all texture down. What's the point of having 4k texture if i need to turn them down to 2k to get the build working.

Workaround : Does having an empty object in a "Fake" scene with a list

public Object[] assets;

will store those asset in that specific scene, thus reducing the file size of the level that required them ?

the 4gb limits is for "texture" ? or it include all asset too. The file that is bigger than 4gb is a called "sharedassets5.assets.resS"

12. AnthonyJackson81

AnthonyJackson81

So... I just came across this problem this week. I wish I had known about this problem from the off, I could have designed around it, instead of spending months builing somehing. I have given so much time to learning and trying to work with Unity, that this is just insane. I fee like other than making a really nice little phone game, anything else is just painful. I even had to buy Bakery the other day, as I realised that the GPU Lightmapper is so slow.... I dont mind thhrowing a bit of cash at the issue, but a pop up or something would help.

I am 2019 LTS. I had moved the project to 2020, but VR using URP the base fps was pretty low, with no objects. So I had to spend a few days switching back.......I have given Unity 1 year of my life, of purposeful directed learning. Something are just 'me' and needing to learn, others are clearly the software, like this.

13. radiantboy

radiantboy

I finally resorted to splitting my game back up into scenes. So I have a root scene that loads all the music, ui stuff, player, interiors etc. I managed to cram that under 4 gig, then I load the extra cities when needed using load scene additive. I still plan on learning assetbundles etc, and finally getting 2020 also once they fix some show stopper bugs, which they have been very slow to do so recently.

14. AnthonyJackson81

AnthonyJackson81

Yep, I am torn betweem trying to get my head around AssetBundles, and how that can improve my build and reduce my scene size...and therefore overcome this problem. I just cant face splitting up my scene into multiple scenes, its not the end of th world, but does extend my deadline.......again.

15. Kaldrin

Kaldrin

I have this issue with my project too and I couldn't figure out how to fix it, due to the 4GB limit our textures are all messed up in the build, reducing assets size was a temporary workaround but it's not possible anymore with the current state. We are trying asset bundles but I don't understand the tutorial is saying they are deprecated https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/assets-resources-and-assetbundles#

I also try to split the assets sharedasset files into multiple scenes but I'd really like a way to monitor which assets are what size uncompressed in the final build, because we have LESS THAN 1GB of assets in the assets folder and the compressed build is only 500Mo (LZ4HC or LZ4), but the uncompressed build (Default) is 5GB

So what I'm trying is to reference multiple little scenes in the build before the actual game scene that are just here to reference portions of the assets to split the size, but without much success so far.

I don't understand the sharedassets.resource files, I made ways more scenes than that

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021