Search Unity

★★★★★ Texture Overview - Just the right information to aid in optimization

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Peter77, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 3.1 is available in the Unity Asset Store now.

This update is a bug-fix release. It fixes a warning that occurred when the plugin was running in Unity 5 beta, where the warning was printed to the Console window every time you opened Texture Overview.

Changelog
    • Fixed warning "Invalid AssetDatabase path: <FullPath>/UnityEditor.UI.dll. Use path relative to the project folder."

Texture Overview
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16937

Texture Overview Pro
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10832

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. imtrobin

imtrobin

I'm getting an CS0122: 'UnityEditor.TextureUsageMode' is inaccessible due to its protection level in GetUsageMode for U5 using source version.

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Oh, that's new! I'm going to take a look at it later today. I guess you use the just recently released Unity 5.0 version and the latest Texture Overview 3.1? I ask because I'm not sure what your "U5 using source version" means.

4. imtrobin

imtrobin

Yes. Unity 5 using source version of the plugin.

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hello again. It took me a while to reproduce this error, but I think I have it now. It think you try to compile the provided source code, rather than using the pre-built DLL, right?

I was able to reproduce the CS0122 error by trying to compile the provided source code in TextureOverviewSource.zip using MonoDevelop and referencing DLL's from Unity 5.

A similar error occurs when you unzip TextureOverviewSource.zip into the Unity project. But I don't recommend doing this in the first place.

I'm going to fix this error and will submit an update to the asset store. However, this process might take a few days. If you need the fix as fast as possible, please send me an email with your invoice and you get the fixed version as soon as I fixed it.

Thanks for letting me know about this problem!

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Just a quick heads up on the issue imtrobin reported. I fixed the compile error, sent him an update and he confirmed it's working for him now too.

I just submitted the fix to the Asset Store, which should be online somewhen this week I guess.

7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 3.2 is available in the Unity Asset Store now.

This update improves Unity 5 compatibility and fixes a build error that occurred when compiling the provided source code.

Changelog
    • Texture Overview Pro: Fixed error that occurred when compiling the provided source code found in TextureOverviewSource.zip using Unity 5 DLL's.
    • Texture Overview Pro: Updated readme.txt in TextureOverviewSource.zip that explains how to build Texture Overview.
    • Added an „installation window“ that appears when starting Texture Overview after having imported a new version from the Asset Store. The installation window is responsible to install the proper plugin for your Unity version.
    • Renamed column „Sprite Pixels to Units“ to „Sprite Pixels per Unit“ as it's found in Unity's documentation.

Texture Overview

Texture Overview Pro

8. The-Talisman

The-Talisman

Greetings Peter,

I purchased a Pro license to this great tool and I was hoping that you could point me in the direction (file and lines) of your solution to the issue fixed in 3.1: "Fixed warning “Invalid AssetDatabase path: <FullPath>/UnityEditor.UI.dll. Use path relative to the project folder.” I'm having the same constant warning in another tool that I wrote and saw no reason to reinvent the wheel. ;)

Tanks! =)

9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hello Talisman, thanks for the kind words! :)

The issue was that I was passing a full path to AssetDatabase.AssetPathToGUID. When Texture Overview starts, it's reading the raw asset database file located at "Library/assetDatabase3" [1]. This file contains relative paths only, but for some reason, it also contains the full path to UnityEditor.UI.dll.

In the particular case of Texture Overview, I'm interested in project related assets only, so I added a check that makes sure the path starts with "Assets/". If the path does not start with "Assets/", I simply skip further processing on this entry.

The fix looks like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. // we check if the asset is located inside Assets/, because we're only interested
    3. // in those and converting a non-assets/ path to a guid shows a warning.
    4. if (name != null && name.StartsWith("Assets/", StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase))
    5. {
    6.     var guid = AssetDatabase.AssetPathToGUID(name);
    7.     // Take appropriate action...
    8. }
    This code is located in "EditorFramework/AssetTimestampUtil.cs".

EDIT:
    I made a quick test and AssetDatabase.GetAllAssetPaths also returns the full path to UnityEditor.UI.dll, so calling AssetPathToGUID on the returned path emits the warning. Occurs in Unity 5 only, no warning in Unity 4.6 though.

Hope it helps!
    Peter

[1] Reading the raw asset database is a rather uncommon approach. If you're interested why I'm doing that, take a look at this blog post.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  10. The-Talisman

The-Talisman

Greetings Peter,

Thanks for the quick response =)

In the case that I was seeing in my tool, I was using AssetDatabase.GetAllAssetPaths (as noted in your EDIT) in U5. In the end my solution was a bit different: I specifically targeted and skipped executing an asset load method against both UnityEditor.UI.dll and UnityEngine.UI.dll, both of which are being included (as fully qualified paths) in the array from GetAllAssetPaths.

Thanks again =)

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 3.3 is available in the Unity Asset Store now.

This update adds a bunch of new features and also contains a few bug-fixes. Please see the change-log below for details. Don’t miss to take a look at the updated documentation as well.

Changelog
    • Added detection/handling of .exr and .hdr assets.
    • Added “Tools > Advanced” option, see “Handle Rgb24 as Rgba32 for graphics memory calculus” documentation.
    • Added Graphics Memory column. Displays how many space the texture costs during runtime in graphics memory.
    • Added Main Memory column. Displays how many space the texture costs during runtime in main memory.
    • Added Graphics and Main Memory to “Memory Usage” overlay.
    • Fixed Runtime and Main Memory calculation for ARGB4444, RGB565 and RGBA4444 texture formats.
    • Fixed installation window sometimes displaying an error for a second, but then complete installation successfully.
    • Fixed Memory Usage chart colors being all white when player settings were set to Colorspace=Linear.

Texture Overview

Texture Overview Pro

12. pvtohohoh

pvtohohoh

Hi Peter
    Texture Overview Pro 3.3 will show negative size when compression mode is set to ASTC. Regardless of what size the texture is ,it always show -57 bytes in graphic and main memory columns when use RGBA Compressed ASTC 8*8 block .

13. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi, thanks for the bug-report. I'll take a look at the issue later today.

If you need the fix as soon as possible, please send me an email with the purchase invoice number and I will send you the update in return as soon as I figured out how to fix it.

Sorry for the trouble.

14. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi again. I just submitted an update to the Asset Store which is fixing the negative numbers for ASTC compressed textures. With a bit of luck, it could be online on Friday, otherwise at the beginning of next week.

As mentioned in my earlier post, if you need the fix as soon as possible, please send me an email with the purchase invoice number and I will send you the update in return.

I'll leave a note here when the new version is online.

15. pvtohohoh

pvtohohoh

thanks for your quick reply and bug fixing. I can wait for asset store update ~ nice support!!!! thanks very much~

16. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

17. Griffo

Griffo

Hi, just updated and got this ..

Attached Files:

18. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Griffo,

do you get this error every time you open Texture Overview or is there some specific action needed to trigger it? If you click "Ignore", does the error pop up over and over again?

What did you update? Did you update Unity from 4 to 5 or Texture Overview? Because it says Texture Overview 3.0, but the latest version is Texture Overview 3.4.

In case you updated to Unity 5, please re-install Texture Overview. It checks on first start which Unity version is running and uses Unity version specific DLL's from then on. Re-installing Texture Overview from the Asset Store should fix this issue.

19. Griffo

Griffo

Hi, I updated to the latest version 3.4, then after it had updated this error popped up, I clicked ignore and it went away and has not been back ..

I didn't update to Unity 5 it was already Unity 5.0.1f1

20. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi again, thanks for the follow-up. I will try if I can reproduce it. Do you remember if you had Texture Overview open while you installed the update from the asset store? Or maybe anything special? Because I do install Texture Overview a lot in my tests and never saw this issue so far, so I guess it's an edge case I'm not aware of yet, but would love to include it into my tests.

21. Griffo

Griffo

Yes, I had Texture Overview open while I installed the update.

22. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I tried to reproduce that issue a lot during the last days, but it didn't trigger once. Unreproducible errors are the worst. I'll keep an eye on it. Thank again for the report and sorry for the inconvenience.

23. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 3.5 is available in the Unity Asset Store now.

Changelog
    • Fixed memory calculation for DXT1_Crunched and DXT5_Crunched compressed texture formats (Unity 5.1 beta).
    • Fixed the following warning that occurred when Texture Overview started "Could not find method 'UnityEditor.BuildPipeline.GetBuildTargetGroup(BuildTarget)'" (Unity 5.1 beta).

Texture Overview

Texture Overview Pro

24. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

25. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

26. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 3.6 is available in the Unity Asset Store now.

This update adds functionality to inspect textures referenced by an AssetBundle Manifest, which can be an useful tool to optimize for texture file size of specific asset bundles. I also finally found a way find texture references of inactive GameObjects when using the “Scene mode”.

Below you can find the changelog and a description of the new AssetBundle Manifest mode. Don’t miss to take a look at the updated documentation as well. Links can be found at the bottom of this post.

Changelog

• Scene mode also finds textures referenced by inactive GameObjects now.
    • Added AssetBundle Manifest mode. It allows you to display referenced textures in an asset bundle manifest file inside Texture Overview.
    • Better error message when Texture Overview for Unity 4 is used in a project that was upgraded to Unity 5.
    • Verified that Texture Overview works with Unity 5.3 RC2

AssetBundle Manifest mode

You can find this new mode under the popup in the toolbar as shown below.

This mode displays textures that are referenced by an asset bundle manifest file. Unitys BuildPipeline outputs a manifest file for each asset bundle it generates. Such manifest file contains which assets have been explicitly added to an asset bundle. Asset dependencies are not resolved.

Please note that Texture Overview does not load the actual asset bundle. It uses the .manifest file to detect which assets are stored in a bundle. It reads and displays settings of those textures that are located in your project, not the ones stored in that asset bundle.

The list at the left side displays all .manifest files that have been found in the directory that you selected using the “Open…” button. If a file with either no or .unity3d file extension is located next to the .manifest file (which is usually the actual asset bundle), its size is display in the list next to the name.

Texture Overview

Texture Overview Pro

Texture Overview Documentation
    http://www.console-dev.de/bin/TextureOverview.pdf

27. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 3.7 is available in the Unity Asset Store now.

This update is a bug-fix release to ensure Unity 5.4 beta compatibility.

Changelog
    • Fixed following warning that occurred using Unity 5.4 beta: Could not find method 'TextureUtil.GetGLWidth(Texture)'
    • Fixed following warning that occurred using Unity 5.4 beta: Could not find method 'TextureUtil.GetGLHeight(Texture)'
    • Fixed following warning that occurred using Unity 5.4 beta: Could not find method 'TextureUtil.CountMipmaps'
    • Fixed error when canceling a progressbar (seems the error occurred under Windows 10 only?)

Texture Overview

Texture Overview Pro

Griffo likes this.
  28. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi,

I want to provide some insight in Texture Overview support for Unity 5.5.

So far, I was able to support every Unity version even during their beta cycles. Unfortunately, getting Texture Overview to work well with Unity 5.5 is still going to take me a while.

Unity made significant changes to the texture import pipeline in 5.5, which we all appreciate. I ran into an issue with the beta builds in September that forced me to wait until the first release candidate when they added (back) the functionality I need for Texture Overview.

Since then, I'm working to support Unity 5.5. I'm not doing this full-time, I don't progress as fast as I wish, but it goes forwards.

Today reached a point where I have a first version that seems to work, but not tested in real-world projects yet.

I believe to have a build that conforms to my quality standards at the end of December and an update in the Asset Store early January 2017, if I don't run into further major issues.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

29. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi, I worked really hard to add support for Unity 5.5 to Texture Overview and added a few new features along the way as well.

I hope the update is going to be available January 2017, as mentioned in my previous post. If you need the update sooner, please send me an email including the invoice number from your purchase confirmation email and I'll send you the update in return.

I recorded the following video that goes over the new things. Let me know what you think.

Griffo likes this.
  30. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I just submitted Texture Overview 3.8 to the Asset Store, where it's now waiting for Unity to review and hopefully approve the update.

Hoping it's going to be available early next year, but I assume there are quite some assets queuing up and Unity might process my submission perhaps mid January.

31. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Griffo and moco2k like this.
  32. Griffo

Griffo

@Peter77

Just updated to Version 3.8

Using Unity 5.6.0b3

And I get this just before Unity crashes everytime I try to open Texture Overview Pro ..

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 15.31.22.png

33. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Griffo,

that's exactly the error I fixed to support 5.6.0b3! :confused: I can test it under Windows at the moment only and there it works.

A plausible explanation I can up with now, would be that the Texture Overview installer didn't install the correct version (for a reason I can't think right now). That would explain why the screenshot shows an error in "Unity_4/MainWindow.cs", which shouldn't be used when running Unity 5.6.

Can I ask you to install the correct version by hand and see if that works? Here is what you need to do:
    • Close Unity
    • Rename "TextureOverview.dll.Unity56" to "TextureOverview.dll" and overwrite the existing file
    • Rename "TextureOverview.dll.mdb.Unity56" to "TextureOverview.dll.mdb" and overwrite the existing file
    • Open Unity
    • Open Texture Overview
    All these files should be located in "Assets/Editor/TextureOverview".

If that won't do the trick, I'm going to compile a new version for you with all Profiler calls removed and no installer.[/user]

34. Griffo

Griffo

Thanks for the reply.

I completely removed Texture Overview, re-downloaded it, re-installed it, and now it seem to be ok.

35. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Great news, thanks for the feedback!

36. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Updates for both versions, Pro and non-Pro, are available in the Asset Store now!

Changes in 3.8
    • Unity 5.5 compatibility
    • Unity 5.6.0b3 compatibility
    • Added platform buttons to the toolbar, to easily switch between different platform texture settings.
    • Added more columns to Texture Overview. Right-click a column header to select which ones to display.
    • Added "Issues" detection. If, for example, a texture cannot be compressed, because its size isn't multiple of 4, Texture Overview is able to show you that.
    I excluded the Tizen platform from Texture Overview 3.8 for now, because of this issue. This only applies if you use Unity 5.5 or newer. I'm going to add it back once Unity made the fix available and I tested it, that it actually works.

Download from the Asset Store
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=popularity/query=publisher:3683

37. Infrid

Infrid

Just got it - didnt't want to leave you 1 star but really really dissapointed. Doesn't list sotrage size/runtime size/and many other columns blank for all textures. Just wasted 10 bucks and my time. Please Advise

38. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Infrid,
    sorry to hear that, but thank you for giving me the chance to solve the problem.

Which Unity version do you use and to what platform is the editor set (File/Build Settings)? Is there any error message printed to the Console window when you open Texture Overview? Could you please post a screenshot of the texture overview window?

If you use Unity 5.5 or newer, please make sure the platform inside Texture Overview is not set to "Default". There are platform buttons in the top-right corner of the Texture Overview window. In order to display Storage-, Runtime-Size etc, you need to select an actual platform there. Below you can find a screenshot that shows how to change the platform in Texture Overview.

textureoverview_default_platform.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  39. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 3.9 is available in the Unity Asset Store now. This update is a bug-fix release to ensure Unity 5.6.0b9 beta compatibility.

Changelog
    • Unity 5.6.0b9 compatibility
    • Fixed negative size for compressed textures on 3DS platform using Unity 5.2
    • Added "Search in Sprite Packing Tag" option (click magnifying glass icon in search box)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=popularity/query=publisher:3683

40. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 3.9 does not work with Unity 2017 beta.
    I'm going to add Unity 2017 compatibility in the next few weeks. I'll update this thread as soon as I've something available.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  41. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I just submitted an update to the Unity Asset Store, which adds Unity 2017 beta 1 compatibility. The update is currently in review and perhaps available around April 24th, if Unity does not find an error during the review process.

42. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

43. Malkyne

Malkyne

This seems to be working pretty well. I just have one bit of confusion, here. Maybe it's a bug?

I've set up some test textures, of various sizes. Here's one of them:
    upload_2017-6-22_19-52-34.png

This is a non-power-of-2 texture, but the sides are a multiples of 4, so it should be possible to compress it to DXT1 or DXT5. As you can see at the bottom of the Inspector screenshot, Unity reports that it is successfully being compressed to DXT1.

However, if I go to your report, I get this:

upload_2017-6-22_19-53-35.png

So, Texture Overview is telling me that it's NOT being compressed.

If I mouse over the Warning symbol, I get the message "Only POT textures can be compressed to DXT1 format."

That doesn't seem right.

44. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

This does look like a bug in Texture Overview. I revised the issue-detection code and found a few things that didn't work properly, as you pointed out.

I've send you a private message with an update, please let me know if this resolves the problem.

Malkyne likes this.
  45. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 4.1 is available in the Unity Asset Store now.

Changelog
    • Checked Unity 2017 beta 10 compatibility
    • Fixed: Issue detection incorrectly reported that DXT compressed non-power-of-two images, without mip-maps, can't be compressed.
    • Fixed: Issue detection incorrectly reported that PVRTC images must be multiple of 4 (it's caught by the power-of-two requirement anyway).
    • Fixed: Issue detection didn't warn "Only POT textures can be compressed if mip-maps are enabled" if the image has a sprite packing tag.
    • Fixed: Issue detection didn't warn "Only POT textures can be compressed if mip-maps are enabled" when using ASTC compression, with mip-maps and the image is non-power-of-two.

Malkyne and Griffo like this.
  46. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  47. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 4.3 is available in the Unity Asset Store now.

Changelog
    • Added option to filter textures located in editor folders (Editor, Gizmos, Editor Default Resources). The default setting is "Hide editor textures". You can change this in the "Tools/Advanced/Show assets from Editor directories" menu in the toolbar within Texture Overview.
    • Ignore textures in "Assets/StreamingAssets" as these are not detected as textures by Unity.

48. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

49. OcelotsRevolver

OcelotsRevolver

Hi, I am very tempted to purchase this asset, but I had a question before I do so. Does this tool display texture errors that appear in the console the same way it does for issues that appear in the texture importer? For example, errors like the ones in the image below. I am having a difficult time identifying the textures causing them and perhaps your tool could help. Thanks.
    error.png

50. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It's hard to tell, because I implemented error detection manually for every issue I could think of, but might missed some.

I just send you a private message here on the forums, please take a look.

OcelotsRevolver likes this.