Search Unity

★★★★★ Texture Overview - Just the right information to aid in optimization

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Peter77, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Do not buy anymore, I'm going to deprecate the plugin

Texture Overview is giving you a great summary view of all your textures, with just the right information to aid in optimization.

✔ Unity 5, 2017, 2018, 2019.1 beta and 2019.2 alpha compatibility (Personal & Pro)
    ✔ Runtime- and storage-memory statistics per texture type.
    ✔ Detects various texture issues, e.g. non-power-of-two size on iOS.
    ✔ Sorts textures by "Memory", "Sprite Pixels per Units", "Packing Tag", "Format", and many other settings.
    ✔ Lists textures in your project, a certain folder, the current scene, any selected asset, as well as from an asset bundle manifest file.
    ✔ Filters textures by type (Sprite, Normalmap, Cubemap, GUI, etc), name and path.
    ✔ Finds materials and prefabs that use a particular texture.
    ✔ Exports content as CSV, which can be used to generate fancy graphs about memory usage in spreadsheet applications.​

textureoverview_38.png

Online documentation
    http://www.console-dev.de/bin/TextureOverview.pdf

What users say about Texture Overview

Download Texture Overview from the Unity Asset Store
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=popularity/query=publisher:3683

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. imtrobin

imtrobin

will get it if there's source

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Why would you get it only, if it comes with source code?

4. imtrobin

imtrobin

Because if you disappear in future, and a new unity breaks, I can fix it. Why would you keep it a dll, any special technique you are using?

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Don't worry, there is an agreement between the asset publisher and Unity, to provide adequate support. Beside the agreement, it's actually fun to work on it! Love to hear when customers have feedback, suggestions, etc for my tools :)

No special technique or whatsoever, just not a fan of selling source code.

6. imtrobin

imtrobin

Unfortunately, that does not work very well, when you see the number of abandoned assets in the store.

7. tim-unity

tim-unity

Hi

Just purchased this plug-in, but it is crashing with an out-of-memory error just before the texture scan progress bar reaches the end of our dialog with an out-of-memory error. Our project is very large and has many textures. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Tim,
    I'm sorry for that issue. I've an idea how to fix that and just fired up Visual Studio to take a look at it. If I have anything that works I'll send you an update as private message with a download link. I can't promise to have it fixed today, but I'm trying to.

How many textures are in your project and what is the avarage size of those? How many memory does your computer have? I've tested the plugin with having several thousands of textures in the project and I didn't run into this issue yet.

9. tim-unity

tim-unity

Hi Peter

No worries. My PC is running Win 7 x64 with 16GB RAM and Unity Pro 4.2.1f4. I'm not sure how many textures we have but it is also in the thousands and some are 2048x2048 in size.

Thanks

10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Tim,

I just sent you an update via private message. Please let me know if it works for you too.

11. tim-unity

tim-unity

Hi Peter

Yes the out-of-memory issues are fixed now - thanks for the quick support again on that problem.

We are seeing some occasional null reference exceptions (call stack emailed) when scrolling the list around now though, but it's not a show stopper atm so can wait for the next version.

Thanks

12. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Tim,

I'm glad the memory issues are gone. Regarding the null referrences, I sent you another update (version 2.2a) via private message. The update should fix these occasional null reference exceptions as well.

13. tim-unity

tim-unity

Hi Peter

Yes your latest version has fixed it - thanks once again for your fast support.

Tim

14. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

You're welcome! Great that everything works now. Thanks for the rapid feedback :)

15. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 2.2 is available in the asset store now. Here is the changelog:
    • Fix: Lots of memory optimizations done. Texture Overview needs to load textures into memory, then read their properties to display them. This caused an „Out of Memory“ fatal error when several thousand textures are in the project and memory consumption went near 4gb. Now, textures get properly unloaded once their properties have been read and thus are no longer required.
    • Fix: If a texture couldn't be loaded, Texture Overview occasionally displayed a „null-reference“ error-dialog.
    • Fix: Texture Overview got slower over time, the longer it was used the slower it got. This was noticable when having 4000 textures in Texture Overview, working with it a couple of minutes, then using „Ctrl+A“ to select all items. This took a couple seconds to complete. Now it's super fast again.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/10832

16. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 2.3 is available in the asset store now. Here is the changelog:
    • New: The search field accepts drag&drop from the Unity project window. This makes it much easier to filter textures by path, no typing needed anymore.
    • New: The search supports basic search operators now: „add“, „or“ and „not“. See Search in the documentation.
    • Fix: The search mode (Search by Name, Path) has been lost every time Texture Overview has been closed.
    • Change: Increased the width of the search field.
    • Change: Renamed „Filter by Name“ to „Search in Name“, etc

17. angel_m

angel_m

I think it would be much more useful, and fast, to list the textures in the current Scene instead the Project because in the most cases you have a lot of textures in your project that you are not using actually so it is unnecessary to list them.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  18. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi angel_m, if you want to see which textures are referenced by a certain scene, you can switch from 'Project' to 'Selection' and just select a scene file (.unity extension), see the attached image. Texture Overview will then list all textures where scene depends on. This approach works with any asset type though.

$textureoverview_mode.jpg

It's described in the manual under point 'Toolbar'.

19. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 2.4 is online. I spent quite some time on optimizations. Here is the changelog:
    • Fix: Plugin starts much quicker now, see „Cache File“ section in manual. Only the first start might take a while to complete or when you switch the built-target.
    • New: Added "Runtime Size" column, which displays how many space textures consume during runtime in memory. The “Read/Write Enabled” setting is respected in the size calculation.
    • New: Added "Compression Quality" column, which displays the Quality of texture compression used during import in the editor (iOS/Android).
    • New: Added "Bypass sRGB Sampling" column, which displays whether the texture will be converted from gamma to linear space when sampled.
    • New: Added “Scene” to popup menu in top toolbar, which displays textures used in the opened scene.
    • Fix: The „Playmode tint“ setting in Unity Preferences is now correctly handled in Texture Overview.
    • Fix: „Filter by Type“ wasn't able to correctly filter textures with „Texture Type = Advanced“ and „Generate Cubemap“ to something other than „None“.
    • Fix: The „Color Space“ player-setting no longer impacts the icons in Texture Overview.
    • Fix: Sometimes a „Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing a repaint“ occured when the plugin automatically opens with Unity and the Unity „New Version“ dialog appeared while Texture Overview was busy loading texture settings.
    • New: Pressing a key, while the list has the focus, jumps to the item of the texture that starts with the key.
    • New: Added key shortcuts for a few context-menu functions (Open, Select in Project, Delete)
    • New: Added „Export CSV“ to „Tools“ popup-menu. The exported CSV (comma separated) file can be used to generate fancy graphs in spreadsheet applications to visualize memory usage for example.
    • New: Pressing „Enter“ now assigns the selected textures to the Unity texture inspector.
    • New: Added links to Texture Overview asset store and forum pages in About Dialog.

20. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 2.5 is available in the asset store now. This release is fixing a bug that caused Texture Overview to display negative numbers in the “Runtime Size” column for textures in ETC2 format (Android, Blackberry).

Here is the changelog for version 2.5:
    • Fix: “Runtime Size” reported negative numbers for textures in ETC2 formats.
    • Fix: “Format Short” for ETC2 formats showed a number rather than the actual texture format as short string.
    • New: Last column sorting information now gets restored when the plugin starts.

21. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I’m very happy to announce a “Pro” version of Texture Overview is now available in the Unity Asset Store. The Pro version contains the full C# source code to build the plugin.

I thought it would be a nice step to upgrade the existing product to the Pro version, rather than submitting it as a new product, so existing users who bought the plugin prior 8th April 2014, should be able to download the upgrade to the Pro version without any additional cost. This is my way of saying thank-you to all of my customers so far!

I’m also going to submit the regular (non-pro, without source code) versions of the plugin to the Asset Store in the next days, which is then hopefully available next week.

Here is the changelog for version 2.6:
    • New: Texture Overview Pro now contains the full C# source code to build Texture Overview.
    • Fix: "Export to CSV" generated broken CSV when a comma was in the asset path.
    • Change: I replaced third party icons with selfmade ones to not cause any license issues, now that the source code is available and therefore the icons as well.

22. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  23. Griffo

Griffo

Hi,

I've just purchased Texture Overview pro in the asset sale and I'd like to say it's a great asset and will likely save me a load of time looking through, optimising and getting rid of any unused textures.

It did crash Unity Pro 4.5.0f6 the first time it ran, then when I reloaded Unity it remembered the texture it had imported before the crash, total of textures over 4,500.

But what I'd like to say is since I've gone to 4.5 I've had lots of crashes in the last few months, I can honestly say it crashed once in 3 years before 4.5 ….

24. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Griffo, thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like the tool! I'll download Unity 4.5.0f6 and try to reproduce the issue. I tested it with another 4.5 release and it didn't cause any problem during my tests (actually I tested 4.1.2, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.5 beta).

Do you know if the issue can be reproduced by reimporting the texture that caused the problem? In case you can reproduce the problem with that texture, I would be interested to get my hand on it to see if I can reproduce it too and then being 100% confident about a fix.

Thanks again for letting me know about it!

25. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hey again, Griffo. I couldn't find 4.5.0f6 to download, so I tried 4.5.0b4, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2f1. Tested Texture Overview with the Angrybots example as well as some of my Texture Overview test projects with these three Unity 4.5 versions. Everything worked like a charm over here. If you continue to experience the issue with Texture Overview, please let me know. Maybe the editor.log file would also give a hint what might have caused the crash.

26. Griffo

Griffo

OK, thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at it today …

27. imtrobin

imtrobin

I suggest putting the cache in project Temp folder instead of plugin

28. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for the suggestion. When I came up with the cache file, I wanted to use the Temp folder too, but noticed Unity deletes the entire Temp folder every time the editor is closing, so I decided to store it into the installation directory instead, where Unity won't delete files from.

29. imtrobin

imtrobin

How about the root folder or Library? Those are not put under revision control usually. If put inside Plugin, people may accidently add it.

30. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Indeed, the Library folder looks like a good replacement! I will most likely use Library in an upcoming version then (not the next version, because it's already submitted to the store, but maybe the version after that).

I think silently moving the cache file to the new location under Library, maybe with a log message should be fine, since the file shouldn't be under source control anyway. That way the plugin does not need to rebuild the cache file, which can be a time consuming task depending on the number of textures in the project.

Good suggestion, thanks for that imtrobin!

31. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 2.7 is now available in the Unity Asset Store.

This version is fixing a critical crash-bug, which occurred on OSX when using the iOS build target. It also includes further fixes and a new feature to show how much memory a certain texture type category is using:

Here is the changelog for version 2.7:
    • New: Added Memory Usage overlay window. You can open it from the „Tools“ popup menu. It displays how much memory certain texture types are using.
    • OSX Editor crash when build target is set to iOS and the project contains thousands of textures.
    • Fix: "RuntimeSize" was doubling the amount of memory when the texture is set to readable always, but it should do this only for Uncompressed, DTX and Alpha8 formats. (correct value is applied the next to you import that texture).
    • Fix: "NullReferenceException at TextureOverview.MainWindow.OnSelectionChange" occasionally occured when pressing Play in the editor.
    • Fix: OSX displays a resize grabber in the lower right corner of the Texture Overview window, which was overlapping the "Info" button. Added some space to prevent that overlap.
    • Fix: "Name" and "Path" columns were using CurrentCultureIgnoreCase for comparison, but it's recommended to compare path names using OrdinalIgnoreCase. This fix also makes sorting by "Name" or "Path" significantly faster when the project contains 10000 and more textures.

Texture Overview Pro:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10832

Texture Overview:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16937

Griffo likes this.
  32. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 2.8 is available in the Unity Asset Store now. This update is fixing a crash bug and introduces two new features.

Here is the changelog:
    • New: Added "Find Prefabs and Scenes in Project" function to context menu.
    • New: Added "Find Usage Results" window, which displays the result of "Find Materials in Project", "Find Prefabs in Project" and "Find Prefabs and Scenes in Project" search operations.
    • Fix: "Find Prefabs in Project" caused an out-of-memory editor crash in some/big projects.
    The “Find Usage Results” window displays the result of a “Find ... in Project” operation, such as
    “Find Materials in Project” or “Find Prefabs in Project”.

The list at the left side contains textures you searched for. The list at the right side displays which assets (materials, prefabs, scenes) use the selected texture. The “Results” column in the left list displays how many assets have been found, that use the particular texture.

A right-click with the mouse opens a context-menu with helpers functions, such as showing the
    texture in Explorer/Finder. A double-click with the left mouse button assigns the selected asset to the Unity Inspector-window.

In older Texture Overview versions, the find results were just assigned to the Unity Inspector, but it was causing out-of-memory issues in big projects. The new window is solving this issue and makes it even more useful to work with.

Texture Overview

Texture Overview Pro

33. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 2.9 is available in the Unity Asset Store now. This update ensures compatibility with Unity's recently released 4.6 open beta.

Changelog
    • Fix: The plugin displayed the following error using Unity 4.6 open beta, which caused the plugin to start much slower than usual: "Library/assetDatabase3 not supported, seems not to be an assetDatabase3 file."

Texture Overview

Texture Overview Pro

34. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I'm going to drop support for older Unity versions than Unity 4.3 in the next update. According to these statistics, less than 5% of the current Texture Overview user-base should be affected.

The reason to drop support for Unity 4.1 and 4.2 is that I'm going to add data about Sprites to Texture Overview, such as the "Sprite Pixels to Unit" setting, which has been requested a few times already. Sprites are available since Unity 4.3 and dropping support for older versions will make it much more elegant to integrate into Texture Overview.

If you have any concerns, please let me know.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  35. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Texture Overview 3.0 is available in the Unity Asset Store now.

This update raises the minimum required Unity version from 4.1.2 to 4.3, in order to display Sprite related settings. Additionally, I also took care to update Texture Overview to work with the recently released Unity 5.0 beta version.

Changelog
    • Texture Overview 3.0 requires Unity 4.3 or newer, because it now also displays „Sprite“
      related settings.
    • New: Added "Sprite Mode" column.
    • New: Added "Sprite Pixel per Unit" column.
    • New: Added an error dialog when you try to open Texture Overview 3.0 using an older
      version than Unity 4.3.
    • Change: Moved .cache file from plugin installation directory to project "Library" directory.
      Texture Overview 3.0 will automatically move this file from the old to the new location.
    • Fix: Fixed rare issue where the .cache file wasn't updated after a texture import.

Texture Overview

Texture Overview Pro

36. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

This has been very useful for me.

Thanks

37. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That's music to my ears, glad it proved useful! Thanks for the note :)

38. AnnaAllison

AnnaAllison

Great tool, however when I bought and download pro version, i don't see source code, did you forget add it to?

39. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for the kind words and great to hear you find it useful!

The source code is located inside the plugin installation directory ("Assets/Editor/TextureOverview"), but it's a separate Zip archive named "TextureOverviewSource.zip".

I double-checked the asset store page and it's listed in the "Package Contents" list there. Could you please check if you can find the .zip file inside the installation directory. If it's still missing, I'm going to re-submit the package. I can also send you the source code if you need it quickly and don't wait until the submission process is done (in this case please, send me an email with the purchase invoice to unitytools@console-dev.de ).

EDIT: I also just downloaded the package from the asset store and I'm able to find the source code at the location mentioned above.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  40. 2Dboomer

2Dboomer

Very useful! I was crazy with the texture memory problem until found this plugin.
    It's so clear and easy to find some textures leave out.
    And I have a question is I like to use "Find reference in scene" feature, But sometimes it find nothing in the scene, there are other reason except the hidden object? Thanks!

41. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It's the first time I hear about this issue.

In Texture Overview, the "Find references in scene" command just inserts the texture path into the Hierarchy/Scene search field like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. ref:"Textures/AdditiveSheet.psd"
    ...which causes Unity to actually filter the hierarchy/scene.

Hidden objects are not displayed in the hierarchy, so I guess these can't be filtered as you already pointed out. Other than that, it should work - I didn't find a case where it fails.

Do you have a scene where the problem can be reproduced? I'd be happy to take a look at it and fix the problem myself or file a bug-report at Unity :)

42. 2Dboomer

2Dboomer

Thank you for reply!
    I used 2dToolKit in my project, and Texture Overview tell me there's an 2dToolKit atlas take up memory but I can't find it....
    I think there has a reference in the scene, but I don't know why it can't be found.
    But thanks to Texture Overview help me found the memory leak :)

43. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I was trying to reproduce the problem for quite a while now, but everything works fine over here. But it seems you solved the issue already, which is great?! :)

44. 2Dboomer

2Dboomer

I found the problem that because I duplicate the prefab, and then change the texture of new one, but it will carry previously reference, even though you are no longer using it. So texture overview check out the old reference, but can not found it in the current scene. I do not know whether this problem occurs only in 2dtoolkit, but thanks to texture overview to make me found the issue.

45. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for letting me know! I was finally able to reproduce this issue. It's a problem with Unity itself and can be reproduced also without using Texture Overview.

I have filed bug-reports for those issues I was able to reproduce, which you can find below (pasted bug-report text below).

Using "Find References in Scene" to find game objects that use a particular texture, also finds textures that are actually not used (anymore).

Reproduce
    • Open attached example project (Assets/scene.scene).
    • Select "Cube" game object in the hierarchy.
    • Notice the "Cube" game object is using a Diffuse shader that references "Assets/texture_green.png".
    • Select "Assets/texture_red.png".
    • Execute from the main menu "Assets > Find References in Scene".
    Observe that the "Cube" game object is shown in the hierarchy, indicating it's using texture_red.png, even so it does not use texture_red.png.

Reproduce with a new material
    • Create new material.
    • Change shader to "Diffuse Detail".
    • Assign texture_green.png to the Base (RGB) slot.
    • Assign texture_red.png to the Detail (RGB) slot.
    • Change shader to "Diffuse".
    • Create a new Cube game object.
    • Assign new material to Materials list in Cube game object.
    • Select Assets/texture_red.png.
    • Execute from the main menu "Assets > Find References in Scene"
    Observe that the Cube game object is shown in the hierarchy, even so it does not use texture_red.png

Expected
    "Find References in Scene" should only find game objects that make use of the texture, or to be more precise, that are really used by the selected shader.

Using AssetDatabase.GetDependencies to find textures a certain material is using, also returns unused textures.

Reproduce
    • Open attached example project (Assets/scene.scene).
    • Select "Assets/material" in the project.
    • Notice the material is using a Diffuse shader that references "Assets/texture_green.png".
    • Execute from the main menu "BugReport > AssetDatabase.GetDependencies (broken)"
    Observe it outputs to the Console window that the material is using texture_red.png, even so it does not use texture_red.png.

Reproduce with a new material
    • Create new material.
    • Change shader to "Diffuse Detail".
    • Assign texture_green.png to the Base (RGB) slot.
    • Assign texture_red.png to the Detail (RGB) slot.
    • Change shader to "Diffuse".
    • Select just created material.
    • Execute from the main menu "BugReport > AssetDatabase.GetDependencies (broken)"
    Observe that the is outputs to the Console window that the material is using texture_red.png, even so it does not use texture_red.png.

Expected
    AssetDatabase.GetDependencies should only return objects that are actually used, or to be more precise, return textures in a material that are really used by the selected shader.

Thanks again for bringing it up. I'll post any news regarding the bug status.

PS: The bug-report has been added to Unity's public issue tracker. You can find it here:
    http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/assetdatabase-dot-getdependencies-returns-unused-texture

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  46. imtrobin

imtrobin

Can u add columnn for texture path

47. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It's already possible to display the texture path. The column is hidden by default, but you can reveal it by right-clicking on any column header and tick "Path" in the popup menu.

Please see the attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

48. imtrobin

imtrobin

49. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity QA just replied to those bug-reports.
    They were able to reproduce these issues and have forwarded it to the devs. :)

50. 2Dboomer

2Dboomer

Thank you Peter! I'll test it more.