Search Unity

Bug Texture not rendering in Unity 2021.1.0a9 and package 10.2.2

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by Hafinator, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Hafinator

Hafinator

When I add a new default effect only the outline borders are rendered in the scene view, the actual texture (default) is missing (doesn't render). If I change the texture it doesn't fix anything.
    I tried running a preview sample, but for example, the smoke sample also renders outlines, the texture is missing as well.

upload_2020-12-22_21-10-45.png

The project itself was created using the default unity renderer and then late upgraded to use URP.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also created a fresh project using the same steps (built-in renderer => URP) and then installed "effects graph" but that throws errors:

Shader error in '[Bonfire] [Flames] Initialize Particle': undeclared identifier 'GetWorldToObjectMatrix' at kernel CSMain at programi/VET/Visual_Effects_Test/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualeffectgraph@10.2.2/Shaders/VFXCommon.hlsl(87) (on d3d11)

[Bonfire] [Flames] Initialize Particle.compute: Kernel at index (0) is invalid

Shader error in '[Bonfire] [Flames] Update Particle': undeclared identifier 'GetWorldToObjectMatrix' at kernel CSMain at programi/VET/Visual_Effects_Test/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualeffectgraph@10.2.2/Shaders/VFXCommon.hlsl(87) (on d3d11)

[Bonfire] [Flames] Update Particle.compute: Kernel at index (0) is invalid

The other samples do not throw this error but instead don't do anything if "play" is pressed.

2. jean-rodrigues

jean-rodrigues

3. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hey @Hafinator ,

Is it possible that your Scene view is set to Wireframe? (probably not)

Are you using a regular URP renderer, or the URP 2D Renderer?
    (the VFX Graph does not support the 2D Renderer at the moment, full URP support (for compute-capable devices) is planned for later this year)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  4. Hafinator

Hafinator

"Is it possible that your Scene view is set to Wireframe? (probably not)": No, it's set to "Shaded"
    upload_2021-1-8_18-37-40.png
    "Are you using a regular URP renderer or the URP 2D Renderer?": Do you mean
    upload_2021-1-8_18-36-31.png
    As the answer is also no :)

5. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Yes, the VFX Graph does not support the URP 2D Renderer yet.

6. Hafinator

Hafinator

Hmmm, strange since I'm using the regular URP renderer. Do you perhaps have any suspicions?

7. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Only other thing I can think of is your version: 10.x packages are meant for 2020.2.
    I'm not sure at what point 10.x stops being compatible with 2021.1, but the longer you go on the next version of Unity, the more likely it is that the package meant for the previous one might stop being compatible.

If you are on the alphas / early betas and a dedicated package isn't available yet, I'd recommend using the SRP graphics package directly from https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics and getting the latest periodically if you upgrade your Unity version.

8. EssencyStudios

EssencyStudios

@VladVNeykov
    @Hafinator Was having these exact errors, turns out if you scale by velocity with our flipbook fire VFX graph it causes the issue!

Shader error in '[System 3]Update Particle': incorrect number of arguments to numeric-type constructor at kernel CSMain at Big_Fire_W_Smoke.vfx(164) (on d3d11)
    [System 3]Update Particle': undeclared identifier 'Infinity' at kernel CSMain at Big_Fire_W_Smoke.vfx(164) (on d3d11)

9. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @EssencyStudios ,
    Do you mean plugging velocity into the flipbook block (tried it and it works for me), or something else? If you can share a screenshot or the asset in question I can take a look. Thanks!