Search Unity

Texture memory budget on GearVR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by bleu, Jun 7, 2016.

1. bleu

bleu

Thanks to pages like https://developer.oculus.com/blog/squeezing-performance-out-of-your-unity-gear-vr-game/, it's easy to get numbers related to vertex and draw call counts. However I'm not sure how much texture memory should be used in relation to environments. I believe that the S6 has 1 GB of VRAM.

I realize that this is a complicated question. One could theoretically put almost anything into one 4096x4096, mipmapped, atlas (9.5 MB ASTC) and use that for a material that will apply to all static geometry to help save draw calls. A 2k atlas would be smaller, but depending on the environment, that could be too small for all textures that need to be in the atlas. And atlasses usually have gutters, which take up space. Also, there are textures used for dynamic geometry, particles, and UI.

I was curious about people's decisions regarding texture budgets for GearVR. Do people often place all environment textures onto one atlas (i.e. one environment = one atlas)? What sizes are typically used? Are 8192x8192 atlasses too big (in general)?