Search Unity

Texture Maps get darker when applied to Material

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by magnus314, Jan 15, 2019.

1. magnus314

magnus314

Hi,

First post in the forum, hope you can help me :)

I want to create a little unity scene and I have a problem with my Texture Maps/Materials.
    I created textures for my assets in Substance Painter (roughness-metallic workflow). I exported the texture maps (albedo, roughness, metallic...) and imported them in Unity.

Here they actually have the same "color/brightness" as they should have, but as soon as I create a material and fill the TextureMap-Slots with my texture maps, they suddenly become darker, which results in very glossy materials, cause my roughness map gets very dark. Also the albedo gets darker as it should be.

I attached a screenshot of unity.

Any idea why I have this problem.

Markus

Attached Files:

2. bgolus

bgolus

Unity's inspector (and really any window not the project view) doesn't handle texture display very well and they tend to show differently than you might expect, so there may not actually be anything wrong with the texture itself.

However, you might try setting your roughness texture asset to use linear color space (check off sRGB in the import settings for that texture). I'm not entirely sure what Substance is going to expect there, but it might help.

AndreFace likes this.
  3. magnus314

magnus314

Thanks man, checking off sRGB helped. I actually don't know why this solves my problem, but I am happy that it works! :)