Search Unity

Resolved Texture look blurry on terrain. Mipmap filtering and Aniso do not help!

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Marou1, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Marou1

Marou1

Hi,
    I am using the same textures in 2 different materials. The material on the right is based on the Unity TerrainLit shader, the one on the left is based on my own shader graph. Both are using the same textures, so same mipmap settings.
    The one on the right is crisp, the one on the left is blurry. Does the Unity shader override the mipmaps settings? What should I do to have to have the same result?

The mipmap settings have NO effect:
    upload_2023-3-15_21-41-19.png

I even tried the dev mode and changed the mipmap bias from 1 to -1, it has no effect.
    The only thing that makes a difference is disabling the mipmaps, but then it looks worse.

This is really frustrating, all the posts are about changing the aniso level but it does not help. And the Unity TerrainLit Shader does not meet my requirements, so I cannot use it.

Is there someone from Unity who could shed some light here please?

Thanks

2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Please check Terrain Settings, as theres resolution settings for the terrain textures. Also check your Project Settings, to make sure Mipmap support is actually on. Or enable trilinear filtering for the texture.

3. Marou1

Marou1

I am using the same terrain and the same textures with the same settings for both materials.And the resolution looks good near the camera, this issue is with mipmaps that makes them blurry far from the camera. I can see clearly the transition lines when the material based on my shader is applied, but not when the material based on unity shader is applied.
    I cannot find a specific setting to support mipmaps in the project settings. Could specify where is it?
    The only option I found Is to force Aniso
    upload_2023-3-16_9-13-4.png
    It is enabled. You can see it the screenshot of my previous message.

4. Marou1

Marou1

I was using sampler states that were overriding the anisotropic filtering. The trilinear filtering was on the node itself, but the aniso was in the inspector, so I didn't see it. Problem resolved.

warthos3399 likes this.