Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Texture issue with proceduraly generated mesh

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by kidjodaryl, Apr 1, 2021.

1. kidjodaryl

kidjodaryl

Hi guys!

Another issue with my mesh I don't understand why. Each mesh has his own UV set which is a flat projection.
    I can see the UV set for each mesh in Substance painter for instance.

But when I try to use a custom shader or a procedural material from substance share in Unity editor, it just doesn't show.
    In the screenshot you can see the textures working on a standard plane from Unity, but appearing grey on my meshes.
    I also tried different shaders from a free pack on the asset store (Ultimate 10 Plus Shaders) but they do not show properly. So what is my mesh missing to be able to properly display those textures?
    Any ideas?
    I attached a screenshot of the issue I'm mentioning

Thanks a bunch !

Attached Files:

2. kidjodaryl

kidjodaryl

Here's another input on the problem I have. I made a quick test to texture one mesh in Substance Painter, and everything looks fine in the software.
    But when I try to assign a material in Unity with the said texture it just shows wrong :/
    See screenshots for more details.

Attached Files:

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

How do you know that substance painter is using your UVs vs. having it's own texture projection? I don't know Substance Painter, so I don't know whether the fact that your model looks okay in Substance Painter actually means that the UVs are good or not.

The Unity screenshots simply look like there are no UVs (i.e. all the UVs are 0,0). Maybe your code generates UVs, but you've updated the wrong UV set? Maybe your UVs aren't normalized?

4. kidjodaryl

kidjodaryl

hmmmm good question, I know Substance Painter recently added the functionality of auto unwrapping the uv's of meshes but haven't tried it yet.
    When I unwrap and uv in 3dsMax in a wrong way, it just shows the same errors in painter. Like overlapping islands etc... So I would assume Substance Painter uses the UV set of the mesh and not reprojecting or unwrapping a new one except when asked to do so.
    I agree that the screenshot makes it look like there are no UV's or that they are wrong. Maybe the UV's are not normalized properly in Unity. I'll need to check on that!

Thanks for the feedback it gives me some ideas !