Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Texture Importer Refactor - Compressor Quality

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by AcidArrow, Aug 31, 2016.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

This might seem minor but...

Why is compressor quality set to "Normal" by default?

In all my tests Best simple looks visibly better (there could be edge cases where it doesn't, but I'm betting they're rare).

So why isn't it set to "Best" by default? Who wouldn't want to simply have their textures look better?

Is it because processing time is much longer? I think that's a fair trade-off. But maybe people will start complaining about the compression times? That's the reason it's not default?

So here is a suggestion: Can we have a way to change the default? Maybe per project? Overriding each texture for each platform, just to set the compressor quality to "Best" does get old pretty fast.

(edit: If I change textureImporter.compressionQuality = 100; in an assetpostprocessor, does the setting work even if I don't tick Override for platform? )

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    MrEsquire likes this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

In my mind it was related to the texture importer refactor, in the sense that -> "Hey guys, now that you are changing stuff for the texture importer, can you please also add a way to set our own defaults?", so it made sense, to me, to post it here.

But I guess it could be taken as outside the scope of the beta.

I'll post it on feedback. Thanks.

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Two reasons: "Best" compression usually results in longer compression times, and sometimes in more narrow hardware support. E.g. on PC, default is to use DXT5 compression, which is supported "pretty much everywhere", and compresses fairly fast. Best switches to BC7, which is several times slower to compress, and requires DX11-class GPUs.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Unless something is going to change in the next couple of betas, I think those two are different settings and api calls?

The one that switches to BC7 is the "Compression" dropdown, which is a new field in 5.5, while what I'm talking about is the "Compressor Quality", which has been around for quite a while and AFAIK doesn't really do anything on DXT.