Search Unity

Texture Forest

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by orni137_, Feb 25, 2016.

1. iichiversii

iichiversii

2. orni137_

orni137_

I've made a VR app using Texture Forest. Everything is fine.

sjm-tech and iichiversii like this.
  3. iichiversii

iichiversii

Dmitry thats great, would it be possible to share a build of this in VR, would really like to see the effect, also if I get close to trees can this system swap out the forest texture for a 3D tree? would be great to have a seamless transition between the forest texture and 3D tree.

4. orni137_

orni137_

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Public/ImmersionInAir.apk?role=personal
    https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Public/OrniBuild.zip?role=personal

It is for Android and for Windows. But I don't have the manual. I can add it later

5. iichiversii

iichiversii

6. orni137_

orni137_

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  7. RomanLov

RomanLov

Hi Dmitry,
    Does asset works in URP/HDRP?

8. orni137_

orni137_

I haven't tried it. But I think it's for other purposes.

9. madruytb

madruytb

hey Dmitry, Texture Forest is such a cool asset, congratulations! Did you ever had any feedback from users making use of the asset in Unity 2019 + ? My project version is 2020.1(Using URP) and I would love to know that Texture Forest works with it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  10. orni137_

orni137_

I have a feedback about version 2019 and the known problem is that the new standard terrain shader in version 2019 treats alpha channel as a specular. I want to fix this strange behavior of standard shader in the nearest update. For now users can use legacy shader for terrain. I don't have any response for version 2020 and for URT.

11. fea777

fea777

I saw a post earlier and hope to know if this can be applied to mesh as well like unity terrain.

12. orni137_

orni137_

Hi fea777, Texture Forest will work even better with mesh terrain than standard Unity terrain, but not out of the box. It only needs to change a few lines of code to adapt it to the mesh terrain. If you are an experienced game developer, this shouldn't be a big problem for you. If you are a beginner, I do not recommend starting with this, unless you are creating your mesh terrain from the standard Unity terrain using some asset. In this case, you can create a Texture Forest on a standard Unity terrain and then set it to a mesh.
    I want to remind, the Texture Forest asset contains all the source code, it is quite small and easy to modify.

13. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @Dmitry-Soldatenkov !!! I am very interested in your tool but I would like to know some questions that I have:

How Texture Forest behaves to changes in lighting (Day / night cycles). I've been watching the videos and none of them show this ...
    I work in HDRP, is it possible to have a version for HDRP 11, Unity 2021?

Greetings

14. orni137_

orni137_

Hi ftejada,
    The asset was created for standard Unity render and the main goal was the performance keeping for very big amount of trees. You can render several million trees in frame on weak Android phone in stereo mode without performance losing. So all the lighting is baked into the Forest Texture.

I didn’t try to use Texture Forest with HDRP. Maybe it works but I want to remind that forest is a very special object for lighting. Common lighting laws don’t work on it. It is like velvet, grass or water with waves. For different lighting conditions you should create different forest textures and maybe blend them if you want to change conditions smoothly.

ftejada likes this.
  15. orni137_

orni137_

At the following link you can play a little with WebGL version of the Texture Forest app.

Controls:
    Right Mouse Click + Mouse – rotation
    WASD – move, EQ - up/down
    Left Shift – fast move

Texture Forest WebGL

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  16. orni137_

orni137_

17. orni137_

orni137_

18. RetroFlight

RetroFlight

Hi Dmitry

I have been using Texture Forest for awhile and really like it!

I tried using on a new build in 2020.3.22f1 and it won't build the forest. I get an error:

"UnityEngine.UnityException: Creating asset at path Assets/Texture Forest/Materials/Scene010.mat failed. at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.CreateAsset(UnityEngine.Object,string)

Any chance you can take a look and see what's up?

Thanks!

19. orni137_

orni137_

Hi RetroFlight,

Sorry for the long answer. I was on vacation. I'll take a look at the problem in the nearest couple of days.

Dmitry

20. SrYano

SrYano

Hi, I would like to know if is there a way to add the trees in more than one slice of terrain.