Search Unity

Question Texture Blend in Vertex Paint Shader

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by Tibsterx, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Tibsterx

Tibsterx

Hi, I am trying to build a vertex paint shader. I have seen the tutorials using the RGBA channels to do it, but we are trying a different method.
    The part I am stumped on, is how to make an appealing transition or blend between textures.
    First, we are manually using Mesh.SetColor in our code to set a red value on each vertex.
    Then, in the shader, we check the red value. For each r value between 0-255 we would assign a different texture.
    upload_2020-12-26_21-38-38.png
    Here is a simple example using just two textures.
    upload_2020-12-26_21-39-5.png
    And this is what it does.
    I am hoping to add noise or blending along the transition. Since we will potentially be using every red value from 0-255, we can't use gradient values from the vertex color itself. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. Olmi

Olmi

Those colors in Shader Graph (and in Unity shaders in general) aren't in 0-255 range, but in 0-1. But you can of course scale your values to whatever range you need.

I am not sure what I'm seeing in the second image, but in order to get smooth transitions, whatever value is controlling the transition must have a gradient and not an abrupt change.

Are you sure your test object is correctly created/modified? Maybe you could bring in a test object from Blender or other 3D app.