Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Texture atlas creation (3D not 2D)

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Shags, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Shags

Shags

Hi,
    I have a large set piece, the mesh has been broken into a lot of pieces in maya to make uving easier and I knew unity might brake it up because of its size. Each piece of the mesh has its own uv. I then exported all the selected pieces as one Fbx file. I then textured it in substance painter, and exported the texture files which there are a lot of, then when you add all the Spec, Metalic, Normal and AO maps it all adds up. The size of imported mesh altogether comes 52490 tris. the draw call is around 16 with the game object marked as static. I want to bring this number down and reduce the size of the project because unity is not working so great with so many textures in the project as well as the other meshes and assets. How can I create a texture atlas for this mesh combining the textures exported from substance painter. I don't want to texture them all over again. All the texture packers I have seen are for 2D sprites not 3D. Can someone help me please. I would prefer a external app to combine them but I will use a extension or plug in from the asset store if its worth using and not to expensive. thanks for any help

2. vidi

vidi

DAZ Studio is free and have the great Content Creator tools on board.
    There is a uVAtlas Tool included. Also 3d Coat can do the job.
    I use both often, therefore i can highly recommend

BrandyStarbrite and Shags like this.
  3. Shags

Shags

Hi vidi,
    thanks, I'll check them out. Do you know of a Daz studio tutorial video that might show me how to do it? much appreciate your help

4. Shags

Shags

I can't find any Uv atlas tools in daz and as far as I can tell it is a character building app :(

5. vidi

vidi

.... That is, war most USER thinks if not know
    this software i

There is an icon (globe) that opens the Atlas tool. All objects must be selected in the scene manager, and press button . Actually self explainend and very easy

6. Shags

Shags

vidi, I have never used this software before. I downloaded Daz Studio Pro 4.9 which auto installs on to your computer. After installation I imported my fbx file then added the textures, selected all the files. I then looked for a texture atlas tool, couldn't find one so I googled it. All the tutorials where from like five years ago. They have a little globe... not the version I downloaded. The daz documentation for texture atlas says you open it through edit in the menu bar ..nope not there.
    I really want this software to work for me. What version of Daz Studio Pro are you running? maybe they took it out. If its not to much trouble could you please post a screen grab of where it is on your end

7. Shags

Shags

its not in the default layout. You have to switch it from the default "city limits lite" to "city limits'. For anyone who needs it. This will tell you how.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  8. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Nice. Thanks for the link.