Search Unity

TextObject as base class for Text, TextMesh, TextMeshPro...

Discussion in 'Unity UI (uGUI) & TextMesh Pro' started by WavyRancheros, Jul 9, 2019.

1. WavyRancheros

WavyRancheros

Hi,

not sure where to post this. I'd like to see all Text components (Text Mesh, UI.Text, TextMeshPro, etc...) share a common base class TextObject that has a text Property. That way I'd be able to write my code completely independent from whatever the hell I put into the scene.

I received code from a project where the developer used Text Mesh and UI.Text, and I have to change everything to TextMeshPro due to a coding guideline. And I'm thinking: why the hell do I even have to change CODE when I'm replacing a simple Text component in my prefabs? It would be so simple:

TextObject myText = GetComponent<TextObject>();
    myText.text = "Enter Text Here.";

and then I wouldn't have to worry about any future code-breaking changes.

Best regards,
    Wavy

2. WavyRancheros

WavyRancheros

Am I really the only one who wants that?

3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Similar requests have been made before and I certainly understand the desire / convenience for this.

Since these components inherit from other classes which adds complications and interface like iText would be a better alternative.

Unfortunately and although the TMP components are still on active development, UI.Text is on maintenance and given the many features I still want to add to TMP and my limited bandwidth, it is unlikely that we'll get to this in the near term.

P.S. I wanted to reply since I never replied to your first post. Please know that although I do not reply to every post, I do read all of them so keep suggestions / feedback coming.

4. WavyRancheros

WavyRancheros

Thanks for the reply. An IText interface would be even better.