Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let us know a bit about your interests, and if you'd like to become more directly involved. Take our survey!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro TextMeshProUGUI.LateUpdate() = performance spike

Discussion in 'Unity UI & TextMesh Pro' started by serbusfish, Oct 9, 2018.

1. serbusfish

serbusfish

For some reason I keep getting regular performance stutters and according to the profiler it is caused by TextMesh late update. I installed TextMeshPro today, I dont believe I have used it in a way that should cause performance issues, I created 6 separate UI objects, and one of my scripts can change the text during gameplay, that's really all i've done?

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

TextMesh Pro does use LateUpdate() to check if the scale of the text objects has changed between frames. However, unless you have a lot of text objects, you should not see any measurable performance impact from this.

Can you post an example of the script you are using to change the text?

P.S. In the next release of TMP due in part to the [ExecuteInEditMode] attribute being deprecated for Unity 2019.1, TextMesh Pro will be using an update manager instead of LateUpdate(). This will result in a slight performance improvement.