Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you couldn't join the live stream, take a peek at what you missed.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro TextMeshPro issues with input field

Discussion in 'Unity UI & TextMesh Pro' started by Micito, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Micito

Micito

Hi everyone,

First of all, let me say that text mesh pro is a great asset, it makes working with text in unity a lot simpler and easier. Having said that we have encountered some issues with input fields and we were wondering is there a way to overcome them.

Issue #1: Inner caret position (string position) of input field is positioned after all tags

InputField, in which RichTextEditing is disabled, positions caret in string after all tags which causes entered
    text to be of the following style, instead of previous.

Consider following text in TMP input field:
    "ThisIsExampleText"

If you position caret in front of 'E' character of "Example" and you start typing, you would expect the font NOT to be bold, but in TMP input fields font will be bold. Same goes as if you position in front of 'T' of "Text", user expects new text to be bold, but it is actually regular.
    As far as I can say, this happens because of input field's inner caret (stringPosition) being positioned after all tags, instead of before.

Example:

1.Consider following text in input field
    2.Position in front of the red text and start typing
    upload_2018-6-5_11-36-27.png

Is there a way to remedy this?

Issue #2: Selection in TMP InputField is not working correctly when it is rotated

If you create input field, and enable it to be multiline, add long text to it and rotate it (~45 degrees), selection will not work correctly. Also RectMask2D is not working as well.

upload_2018-6-5_11-21-27.png

Issue #3: Indented lines will not get "unindented" once they are merged with previous line

When user positions in front of second line (which is indented by 20px with indent tag), and presses backspace, that line is merged with previous line. But the indentation tag remains, and it is positioned over existing text.

upload_2018-6-5_11-51-5.png

Is there way to remove indentation tag?

Issue #4: Sprite tag can be deleted even though RichTextEditing is disabled

If sprite is added in input field, and user positions after it, he is able to start deleting tag by pressing backspace, even though RichTextEditing is disabled.

upload_2018-6-5_11-56-17.png

Is it possible to at least make it so that whole sprite is deleted? Or is it possible to make it unable to be deleted?

I have created a demo project on this issues. You can download it here:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=16F4ajDwpk_2S5AuEkyxV0gJAzl5eCX6_

Thank you in advance

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    royvaneijndhoven likes this.
  2. royvaneijndhoven

royvaneijndhoven

I have submitted a bugreport for Issue #2 before, Unity's QA has been able to reproduce it in multiple Unity version including the 2018.2 version and it has resulted in a IssueTracker entry. Sadly they have not been able to give me an ETA on when we can expect a fix. You can vote on the Issue here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...extmesh-pro-inputfield-is-working-incorrectly (The issue does not mention that the RectMask2D breaks as well.)

In our case the product we're producing heavily depends on the "Text Editor" functionality. The bugs above in combination with an earlier bug that we've found in UWP Builds (the main Platform we're targetting) with Touch devices connected (https://forum.unity.com/threads/tex...g-correctly-in-uwp-build.528566/#post-3484279) makes our product unreleasable in it's current state.

@Stephan_B Could you have a look? Or can you give us a ETA?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

I'll try taking a look at these tomorrow.

I should be able to address item 1, 3, and 4 in a relative short term.

Item 2 is a bigger issue. I should be able to address the selection part but the 2D RectMask doesn't support rotation so that will be a much harder issue to address.

4. Micito

Micito

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for a quick response, I have found 2 more issues, and have added them to the demo project.

Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16F4ajDwpk_2S5AuEkyxV0gJAzl5eCX6_

Issue #5: Input fields' text remain visible when input field is inside RectMask2D

upload_2018-6-8_8-57-55.png

This is ScrollView with RectMask2D (used only to move input field out of the view) with 2 input fields inside. The one on the left has text typed into it, the one on the right has Placeholder text displayed (it's empty). When scroll view is scrolled down, input fields go outside of rect mask, and while they are partly inside mask, everything works fine.
    upload_2018-6-8_9-1-31.png
    Ignore incorect masking, we are using rect mask instead of sprite mask here, and it's not really important.

But once whole input field leaves RectMask2D, text suddenly becomes visible.
    upload_2018-6-8_9-4-31.png

This might not have anything to do with TMP, but with masks.

Issue #6: Getting preferred size doesn't include spaces at the end or start of text

When we get preferred size of TMP's text it doesn't include empty space characters at the ends, so it is impossible to make input field that will correctly size to it's content.
    Example: Here we have input field (simplified for sake of displaying the issue). There is a script attached on it which sets size of input field to preferred size of text contents inside. When user types something, it increases automatically, but if the last characters are space (' ') characters, the width will not increase, instead text will start scrolling and as soon as non-empty character is added the width automatically increases (same for height).

upload_2018-6-8_9-14-6.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. royvaneijndhoven

royvaneijndhoven

Are the issues in this thread being recognised? Do we need to create a bugreport or maybe seperate bugreports for the various issues? What is the next step to get these issues fixed as fast as possible?

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

I am monitoring this thread which includes good feedback. I just need to find the time to get around to these items.