Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMeshPro and Single Pass Instanced stereo rendering

Discussion in 'Unity UI & TextMesh Pro' started by briank, Jul 26, 2018.

1. briank

briank

Right now, if XR settings use "Single Pass Instanced (Preview)", you only see the text in the left eye (and not the right).

I saw another thread where someone added the instancing goo to their local copy of the TMP shader and claimed that fixed the rendering. While that is the best solution I've found, it doesn't seem very maintainable. I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this, and if not, is support going to be added to a future version?

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

I haven't had time to look into this but most likely, this would require a custom set of shaders with single pass support. The resulting shaders might not be unlike the one in the thread you referenced.

3. Kevin-VFX

Kevin-VFX

I have fixed this on my end, but it would be nice if I didn't have to manage this issue every time a new project is using stereo instancing. It only takes a few minutes per shader to implement the fix. Should I post one of the fixed shaders to give you an idea of what to do?

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

I would suggest you post your modifications as it will be useful to users in need of similar solution and until I get around to including something similar in the package.

5. Kevin-VFX

Kevin-VFX

Here's one of the shaders that have been updated to support stereo instancing. Compare it to the original to see what was changed so you can update the rest. Hope this helps out some people.

Attached Files:

Stephan_B likes this.